CBS Evening News

24994J

As said many times before it's too local news. The graphics are okay but could stand to be less flat with a lot more shine and gloss. As for the evening news theme I wish they'd bring back either the Dan Rather theme or the James Horner theme from 2006.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see Norah got an interview with someone who accused Governor Cuomo of sexual harassment tonight. I probably worked to Noah’s benefit that she’s a woman. That makes sense to me. I would think someone in that situation would feel more comfortable talking to a women as opposed to taking to a man.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

CBS News head Susan Zirinsky is likely stepping aside soon to return to a producing role at CBS

FTVLive also had a story on this Thursday before Variety https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/4/8/is-z-on-the-way-out-at-cbs

I think if CBS was smart, they go back to Hard news like the Scott Pelley Era. Use stations like KDKA-TV (who is currently one of two highest rated CBS O&O stations besides WJZ) as the backbone of this new vision. I think Norah O Donnell could also be a part of this too but I'm not completely confident on that. 

CBS News needs a change of thought and vision to compete with ABC, NBC, CNN, FOX, in addition to the many station groups starting National divisions (like News Nation and The National Desk). 

45 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

How about Jane Pauley as the anchor of the CBSEN? Everyone knows her. Since can do it for 5-10 years. If someone’s who 78 can be the leader of the free world someone who’s 70 can anchor the cbs evening news. 

I think they'll pick someone younger. Jane's a great anchor, but ABC has done great with a younger anchor in David Muir. You never know though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I think they'll pick someone younger. Jane's a great anchor, but ABC has done great with a younger anchor in David Muir. You never know though.

It’s possible and I think she would do well although you’re probably right about a younger anchor being picked. Who would be good? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

CBS has already tried that with Jeff Glor. Not happening again unless they would be willing to move one of the O&O anchors to the CBSEN. My suggestion would be Heather Abraham from KDKA-TV. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

Why are we talking about this? The head of CBS News is stepping down, not Norah O'Donnell. There's no indication Norah is going anywhere. Is it a possibility? Sure. But it's not a guarantee. Whoever takes over the news department will certainly want to make changes, but I'm inclined to think CBS won't want to make another anchor change so soon after the last one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

58 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

They could split the difference between Holt and Muir and go with Maurice DuBois from WCBS. But there’s no way Norah walks away willingly. Perhaps the return of the dual-anchor format ABC tried some years ago?

Maurice from NY and Norah from DC?

1 minute ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Margaret Brennen is also a possibility although perhaps Maurice and Norah is a better idea.

2 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Margaret Brennen is also a possibility although perhaps Maurice and Norah is a better idea.

We're probably getting into speculatron territory, but I see Vladimir Duthiers as a potential co-anchor as well, as he has a higher profile at the network level.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 1:04 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

FTVLive also had a story on this Thursday before Variety https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/4/8/is-z-on-the-way-out-at-cbs

I think if CBS was smart, they go back to Hard news like the Scott Pelley Era. Use stations like KDKA-TV (who is currently one of two highest rated CBS O&O stations besides WJZ) as the backbone of this new vision. I think Norah O Donnell could also be a part of this too but I'm not completely confident on that. 

CBS News needs a change of thought and vision to compete with ABC, NBC, CNN, FOX, in addition to the many station groups starting National divisions (like News Nation and The National Desk). 

Group W was always the stronger station group. They should be taking their cues from what works at those stations instead of making everything a pale imitation of WCBS. 

• Like 3

On 4/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

I agree. Hopefully, the new leader of both CBS News and the O&Os can help provide a much needed vision for the future.

Women are the face of nearly every news program currently on CBS, so I can’t see them pushing Norah aside for a guy or adding a male co-anchor on CBSEN.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, C Block said:

Why are we talking about this? The head of CBS News is stepping down, not Norah O'Donnell. There's no indication Norah is going anywhere. Is it a possibility? Sure. But it's not a guarantee. Whoever takes over the news department will certainly want to make changes, but I'm inclined to think CBS won't want to make another anchor change so soon after the last one.

It’s pure speculation at this point but it’s not entirely far fetched - Norah all but demanded the position and was placed there by the new president who is now on her way out unexpectedly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

It’s pure speculation at this point but it’s not entirely far fetched - Norah all but demanded the position and was placed there by the new president who is now on her way out unexpectedly.

Depending on what happens Norah may have been better off if she remained on CBSTM as their ratings are decent.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Indeed, Norah has done nothing to make people switch from NBC or ABC at all and has continued to flounder in the ratings like her  predecessors did before her. The wheel of bad news anchors at CBS continues. 

However, I would like to see Maurice Dubois  anchor with Norah. I think , If done right, could be a very good duo. I think Norah would hate that idea though. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

As I've expressed before CBS News doesn't really have in house talent that could sustain the Evening News. The few exceptions would be perhaps Ted Koppel, and maybe Leslie Stahl. They need someone that posses a "super anchor" like presence, commanding of audience attention.

Gayle, Norah, and Jane Pauley have the right personality for mornings. Oprah & Gayle function very well as the "big prime time special interview" getter that ABC had in Diane Sawyer and Barbra Walters. I like Margate Brenan (she does well occasionally subbing for Norah on CBSEN) and John Dickerson on politics.

IF for speculation sake they were planning on replacing the Evening News anchor, I think they would need to snatch a big name from an outside network. Someone like Shepard Smith, Wolf Blitzer, or George Stephanopoulos among others. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, iron_lion said:

As I've expressed before CBS News doesn't really have in house talent that could sustain the Evening News. The few exceptions would be perhaps Ted Koppel, and maybe Leslie Stahl. They need someone that posses a "super anchor" like presence, commanding of audience attention.

Gayle, Norah, and Jane Pauley have the right personality for mornings. Oprah & Gayle function very well as the "big prime time special interview" getter that ABC had in Diane Sawyer and Barbra Walters. I like Margate Brenan (she does well occasionally subbing for Norah on CBSEN) and John Dickerson on politics.

IF for speculation sake they were planning on replacing the Evening News anchor, I think they would need to snatch a big name from an outside network. Someone like Shepard Smith, Wolf Blitzer, or George Stephanopoulos among others. 

I could see George Stephanopoulos switching from ABC to CBS if he loses his "chief" anchor position to David Muir. CBS would welcome George with open arms and David would love to see him leave. This would be a few years away if true but I'm sure George would shorten his contract with ABC to go be the chief anchor for CBS News if CBS gave him a good deal.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/media/david-muir-george-stephanopoulos-abc/index.html

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

The collateral impact to GMA if CBS snagged Stephanopoulos might make it worth it. 

I gotta disagree about Jane Pauley being better in mornings. She was Brokaw’s primary fill-in for years and led NBC’s first successful newsmagazine. I think Jane would definitely have the presence to fill the CBSEN chair, but why would she want it? She has the best gig going on broadcast news on Sunday Morning. 

Edited by newscopter7
  • Like 5