CBS Evening News

24994J

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I expect them to get out of the business of broadcasting, providing more customized content and move to a subscription model. Saying that people watch TV news for 'human connection' is what's wrong with the platform. I want information, not to connect with other people. I also don't want to be used as a tool to sell ads, because all that's doing is exacerbating the sensationalism and appealing to the broad base, not doing real journalism regardless of it's broad base appeal. Screw that.

I see what you mean but a subscription model would not work at all. Just ask the newspaper and magazine companies and their dwindling subscription audience.  People are not going to pay a monthly fee when they have the opportunity to find the information free elsewhere. Sponsorships and ads are revenue areas that will always be featured in the tv news industry to keep programs afloat. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 5:48 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

So regardless of my opinion, the ratings aren't exactly soaring. That's quite enough for me to see that she doesn't make a compelling anchor or ME. That, informing my opinion, doesn't make me look too kindly on the move to DC. Also, since the formatting is pretty much identical across networks, I would have blown that up instead of weakly leaning into it. Honestly, the network national program concept is sinking pretty quickly and a reinvention to inspire whatever viewers are remaining would be good.

I couldn't agree more, the CBS News devision needs a complete reinvention. I know the idea of moving the Evening News isn't a popular one but I really think CBS should move it to 10pm for every timezone (11pm for some stations), rebrand it as the CBS National News or keep it as the Evening News branding if you want, but mainly follow the BBC format of serious stories and a strong world focus. The main thing I would incorporate from the BBC is the rotating anchor format and I would have the broadcast originate live for all timezones, New York or D.C. would handle the Eastern and Central timezones and Los Angeles would cover the Mountain and Pacific timezones, I know that would add an extra cost but it would make sense with it being on later and being live so the stories are current. Late local news would be on immediately after at 10:30 (or 11:30), and the affiliates would get an extra half hour at 5:30 / 6:30 or whenever they air the evening news which would make up for the late news being on later. I don't know what they'd do on the weekends especially on nights with sports but they could figure something out, something like a 15 min broadcast on weekends would work since sports normally goes longer than expected delaying local news. 

In terms of Norah, I really liked her on CTM but have absolutely hate her on the evening news, it seems so forced and manufactured. The "breaking news" for everything is out of control. I grew up watching Katie and later Scott, on his last night I was holding in tears as he said goodbye, he ignited my passion for journalism and CBS hasn't been the same since he was forced out, Jeff grew on me and stared to find his groove when they got rid of him. In true CBS fashion Norah will be gone within 2 years from now and they'll be stuck again. Its kinda sad how they are the most watched network but in dead last place when it comes to news, they need to find a way to keep those viewers for network newscasts and that's why I really think the success of their primetime line up could be a great lead in and give CBS success at 10pm / 11pm. I know many of you don't like the idea and will bring up ad revenue, local stations, ownership groups and all kinds of other stuff but seriously, its worth a shot, they don't have much to lose at this point. The affiliates would get over it, adapt and benefit from an extra 30 min in the evening and could benefit from a strong lead in to late local news (yes I know they already have one from primetime). Local stations could even keep a news at 10pm / 11pm just on a sub channel or streaming online / CBSN local if they really wanted to keep that broadcast.

We can respectfully talk about this if anyone wishes to as long as we don't bash the idea or me. 😀

Edited by JRogotzke
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, JRogotzke said:

I couldn't agree more, the CBS News devision needs a complete reinvention. I know the idea of moving the Evening News isn't a popular one but I really think CBS should move it to 10pm for every timezone (11pm for some stations), rebrand it as the CBS National News or keep it as the Evening News branding if you want, but mainly follow the BBC format of serious stories and a strong world focus.

Honestly, if the pandemic keeps delaying production of prime time shows, I expect someone somewhere's going to try a regular proper newscast in a 9 or 10PM slot.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 2

I don't think CBS affiliates would go for an already floundering network newscast @ 10pm leading into their local news @ 10:30 or 11.  I hope you all remember the 10pm  "Jay Leno Show" debacle years ago.  If full on production of primetime gets to be a problem, give the affiliates the 10pm slot for local news and run the revamped "CBS News Tonight @ 10:30" (or whatever they want to call it & anchored by someone besides Norah)  and then the  "Late Show w/Colbert" at 11.  That also gives Colbert a jump start on Fallon & Kimmel. 

Overall, it's gonna be a tough sell for Viacom/CBS to give up an hour of primetime $$$$$$ @ 10 for this kind of experiment.  

Edited by RCA TK47
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, RCA TK47 said:

I don't think CBS affiliates would go for an already floundering network newscast @ 10pm leading into their local news @ 10:30 or 11.  I hope you all remember the 10pm  "Jay Leno Show" debacle years ago.  If full on production of primetime gets to be a problem, give the affiliates the 10pm slot for local news and run the revamped "CBS News Tonight @ 10:30" (or whatever they want to call it & anchored by someone besides Norah)  and then the  "Late Show w/Colbert" at 11.  That also gives Colbert a jump start on Fallon & Kimmel. 

Overall, it's gonna be a tough sell for Viacom/CBS to give up an hour of primetime $$$$$$ @ 10 for this kind of experiment.  

Just wanna make myself clear, they wouldn't be giving up an hour of primetime shows, they would be placing a 30 min newscast as soon as the 3 hour primetime ends, so either 10 or 11 depending on the market since primetime begins at 7 or 8 depending on where you live. They would still get plenty of advertising money. Also 10:30 / 11:30 would work too.

5 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

I see what you mean but a subscription model would not work at all. Just ask the newspaper and magazine companies and their dwindling subscription audience.  People are not going to pay a monthly fee when they have the opportunity to find the information free elsewhere. Sponsorships and ads are revenue areas that will always be featured in the tv news industry to keep programs afloat. 

Yeah, because television is SOOOO comparable to newspapers. 🙄 Hey, if people are willing to pay for Spotify, Apple TV+, HBOMax, CBS All Access, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc, why aren't they willing to pay for visual news content in the same way? Especially, if they can get the content JUST catered to them (microtargeting). It's the big newspapers that are being gutted and haven't converted well because A. Owners are treating them like slush funds (like these big station groups do to their stations) and B.They are using technology to promote an old model of journalism, not evolving it (which they could digitally). Small community papers have been growing for that very reason! I have quite a few local papers that I love, but it's just not the same video storytelling. Reading a story about Iran isn't the same a seeing the visuals and hearing the content. You get more nuance. Why do you think NPR is so damn successful? That kind of storytelling you can read, but it doesn't have the same power.

3 hours ago, RCA TK47 said:

If the cost to produce a fictional show during a pandemic isn't more expensive than the revenue returns from a CBS NewsNight program.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yeah, because television is SOOOO comparable to newspapers. 🙄 Hey, if people are willing to pay for Spotify, Apple TV+, HBOMax, CBS All Access, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc, why aren't they willing to pay for visual news content in the same way? Especially, if they can get the content JUST catered to them (microtargeting). It's the big newspapers that are being gutted and haven't converted well because A. Owners are treating them like slush funds (like these big station groups do to their stations) and B.They are using technology to promote an old model of journalism, not evolving it (which they could digitally). Small community papers have been growing for that very reason! I have quite a few local papers that I love, but it's just not the same video storytelling. Reading a story about Iran isn't the same a seeing the visuals and hearing the content. You get more nuance. Why do you think NPR is so damn successful? That kind of storytelling you can read, but it doesn't have the same power.

I certainly feel like there will be a television subscription bubble. Yes, there's so many that are popping up, but people will not paying for the 20+ subscription services all at the same time, it simply defeats the purpose of cord-cutting and I feel like media companies have failed to realize this. The ones that will stay alive are due to default: Netflix because it is the original, Amazon Video due to people wanting Amazon Prime for 2-day shipping, Disney+ because of Disney/Marvel/Star Wars, and possibly Hulu since they have a little bit of everything on there. But all of the others are in trouble: Quibi is pretty much DOA.  AT&T/WarnerMedia already kicked out executives in correlation to HBOMax having a lackluster subscription start possibly due to branding confusion:

HBO Max, which launched May 27, was hoping to convert many of HBO’s 30 million-plus subscribers to the service, which costs the same amount. But the offering only added 1.1 million HBO customers and 3 million retail customers in its first month. The rollout was hampered by the company’s ongoing negotiations with Amazon and Roku about bringing the app to their connected TV devices. More than two months after launch, HBO Max still isn’t available on either platform.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bob-greenblatt-kevin-reilly-major-warnermedia-restructuring-1306486

I see what you mean, I do like context too, but you do have to realize consumers usually want things conveniently on-the-go or free. As for NPR, their funding is similar to PBS: grants from foundations or business entities, contributions from listeners like us and sponsorships. 

On 8/7/2020 at 8:36 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Saying that people watch TV news for 'human connection' is what's wrong with the platform. I want information, not to connect with other people. I also don't want to be used as a tool to sell ads, because all that's doing is exacerbating the sensationalism and appealing to the broad base, not doing real journalism regardless of it's broad base appeal. Screw that.

I agree with the point about human connection. Yes I might have a favorite anchor based on their delivery, reporting style, or personality. Likewise, I might have a favorite anchor pairing for their chemistry. Overall however, in watching the news, I like the anchors based on how they do their jobs. Personal narrative kept at a minimum. The human connection aspect should be more important for someone like a talk show host. 

• Like 2

I was pondering that very thing today. I haven't seen Norah on the evening news in over a week, and she's nowhere to be found on the social media side. An interesting twist, but I can't imagine they're going to make wholesale changes again... 

Is it possible she's simply on vacation and chose to "unplug" from social media? She is scheduled to lead CBS News coverage of next week's Democratic National Convention according to a CBS release yesterday still naming her anchor and managing editor of CBS Evening News.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

Not sure if this has already been discussed but the desk Norah uses has recently changed to one with a CBS eye as part of its base. Half of the base is made up of horizontal metallic shapes next to the eyemark holding up the glass top. 

I don't believe it's...new, though? Do you mean this one? (pictures attached below)

image.thumb.png.4f10848d740c8f816468cad54f832892.png

I screengrabbed this from a July 2020 newscast.

image.thumb.png.618f7ee616441ce779ce4607388681eb.png

And this is from tonight's newscast.

But you can also see this very desk in the set's debut promotional, as seen here in December 2019. So someone please correct me here and tell me what I'm missing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

Thanks ... my mistake maybe these eyes are getting old but I never noticed the logo in the desk before tonight. Sorry for the confusion. 😔

Hey, no problem at all and no need to apologize; there's so much to look at that it's not possible to remember or notice the small details that go into so many different news products. 

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

CBS News has appointed Adriana Diaz & Jericka Duncan as new anchors of the CBS Weekend News.

Honestly, I was starting to think they'd really place Major and Jamie into the permanent positions (although Margaret and Chip made for recently compelling choices, despite it not being reasonable long-term) so it's great that they're finally saying something. Could this finally be the light at the end of the tunnel? The CBSN-style weekend news branding was really milquetoast for a flagship program so I'm hoping this can expand on the program's significance once again and maybe re-introduce some organization back into the newscast.

• 2 weeks later...

CBS Weekend News debuted its brand-new open yesterday.

This should be a harbinger for what's to come with the rest of their news product and branding.

Also, they've integrated the new 'CBS' font into the chyron for "CBS Weekend News", replacing the old 'CBS'.

However, they've only changed the "Weekend News" font to the new one in the open and not the chyron, so I don't think this integrates well.

image.png.7761011c98d184343ca8356cdd4e9e5b.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mightynine said:

...but it's probably some of the better graphics work for CBS News in a while.

I agree. For CBS News, I think this is an upgrade for their on-air look and feel. In my opinion, NBC News normally has an edge in graphics presentation. Their look tends to be more cohesive and refined than the others. However, I think that this CBS open has better production values than the odd piece-by-piece overhaul of NBC Nightly News. 

• Like 2