CBS Evening News

24994J

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Honestly if there isn't a way for CBS to reorganize its Broadcast Center for social distancing and optimization with the ongoing pandemic, we may never see a "normal" CBS Weekend or CBSN broadcast on the regular for at least the rest of the year. This isn't to say that they all have to originate from New York since things are still getting done from elsewhere, but it will be interesting to if/how they evolve their work model as the year progresses.

We’re heading into 4 months of social distancing, how hard is it to deep clean the place (which should have happen 3 months ago) and come up with comprehensive plan to create a ‘new normal’ so people can get back to work (particularly at CBSN). Most days, Anne Marie and Vladimir look like they just rolled out of bed. CBS really needs to get it together. 

• Thanks 4

CBSN and CBS Weekend News Saturday anchor Reena Ninan has quietly left CBS as of June 2020 (per FTVLive, her Twitter bio, and her LinkedIn). "Quietly" because I don't recall seeing any news made of it and her appearances had been dialed way down, of course, due to COVID's (and CBS's) slaughtering of CBSN in general and we won't really know if she bounced or if she was cut. CBS Weekend News will probably be anchored from DC/LA for the long-haul if they're willing to have designated talent leave. Lana Zak had been brought on as a CBSN anchor earlier this year in January, so it seems she (could?) be likely successor for all of Reena's roles.

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

CBSN and CBS Weekend News Saturday anchor Reena Ninan has quietly left CBS as of June 2020 (per FTVLive, her Twitter bio, and her LinkedIn). "Quietly" because I don't recall seeing any news made of it and her appearances had been dialed way down, of course, due to COVID's (and CBS's) slaughtering of CBSN in general and we won't really know if she bounced or if she was cut. CBS Weekend News will probably be anchored from DC/LA for the long-haul if they're willing to have designated talent leave. Lana Zak had been brought on as a CBSN anchor earlier this year in January, so it seems she (could?) be likely successor for all of Reena's roles.

Not a huge loss for CBSN. She wasn’t particularly good imo. 

1 hour ago, J1975am said:

What did you not like about Reena? 

She wasn’t particularly strong as an anchor on CBSN. I recall one time earlier this year when she stumbled over her words so badly, it was tough to watch. The Weekend News was a lot easier for her than anchoring on CBSN it seemed.

Anyone Else Noticing this on the recent CBS Evening News Broadcasts? Two here in PA, WTAJ and WYOU are putting their own logo next to the CBS Eye. Anyone else see this? I looked at KDKA (only in the beginning) and WKBN (none at all) too. 1843304759_WTAJ12PMCloseScreenshot2020-07-0904-42-55.thumb.png.3589a7b0f1976bc6038f9ed0c2c28cc6.png578687854_WTAJ12PMCloseScreenshot2020-07-0904-43-31.thumb.png.7f667644f00815059546b5977ac60b53.png

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

3 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Anyone Else Noticing this on the recent CBS Evening News Broadcasts? Two here in PA, WTAJ and WYOU are putting their own logo next to the CBS Eye. Anyone else see this? I looked at KDKA (only in the beginning) and WKBN (none at all) too. 

Most of the O&O's are doing it, along with some affiliates (since at least late 2018); it works better with a one-numeral channel number for some reason than it does two (or here, eye-straining tiny calls). WDJT in Milwaukee tried to do so for a few weeks, but eventually dropped it because the '58' had to be much smaller and wasn't point-size perfect with the Eyemark. For some reason, the Eyemark is all over the place with its positioning in that bottom right-hand corner depending on news/sports/live/primetime presentations, unlike NBC, Fox, and ABC where news and primetime DOGs are pretty steady and the network affiliate can get their bug lined up perfectly with the network DOG. CBS has about four-five different positions for the Eyemark in a broadcast day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

For some reason, the Eyemark is all over the place with its positioning in that bottom right-hand corner depending on news/sports/live/primetime presentations, unlike NBC, Fox, and ABC where news and primetime DOGs are pretty steady and the network affiliate can get their bug lined up perfectly with the network DOG. CBS has about four-five different positions for the Eyemark in a broadcast day.

I have noticed that as well... isn't the CBS eye added way earlier in the production workflow compared to the likes of NBC and ABC? Like, I have a hard time believing that the eye was added by a single master control point when its situated in slightly different locations in almost every program.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

We're about a year into Norah as chief/evening anchor. Has she grown on you all or you think CBS News got it wrong? How would you say she compares to Katie Couric?

So regardless of my opinion, the ratings aren't exactly soaring. That's quite enough for me to see that she doesn't make a compelling anchor or ME. That, informing my opinion, doesn't make me look too kindly on the move to DC. Also, since the formatting is pretty much identical across networks, I would have blown that up instead of weakly leaning into it. Honestly, the network national program concept is sinking pretty quickly and a reinvention to inspire whatever viewers are remaining would be good.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

So regardless of my opinion, the ratings aren't exactly soaring. That's quite enough for me to see that she doesn't make a compelling anchor or ME. That, informing my opinion, doesn't make me look too kindly on the move to DC. Also, since the formatting is pretty much identical across networks, I would have blown that up instead of weakly leaning into it. Honestly, the network national program concept is sinking pretty quickly and a reinvention to inspire whatever viewers are remaining would be good.

Norah's an OK anchor but nothing special. I feel that Jeff Glor was pushed out when he was getting popular and I feel CBS has tried everything since Dan retired and still can't get out of 3rd place. Unfortunately, one network has to be in 3rd and ABC and NBC have been more popular with viewers for the past 15 years.  In the year since Norah became anchor, the ratings have not changed. Glor was a great anchor who should have been given more time. Does Norah really add anything compared to Glor or Pelley, or even Couric? The only thing I notice is that they're copying the WNT route of an overly dramatic opening and Breaking News every single night, not even that's brought more viewers. If the ratings are still that bad a year from now, they'll replace Norah and wonder what they did wrong.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 6:38 PM, iron_lion said:

We're about a year into Norah as chief/evening anchor. Has she grown on you all or you think CBS News got it wrong? How would you say she compares to Katie Couric?

No. Katie was 100x times better and, by the end of her run at CBS, was putting on a solid program. Bob Schieffer, in my opinion, was the best Evening News anchor. 

On 8/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Honestly, the network national program concept is sinking pretty quickly and a reinvention to inspire whatever viewers are remaining would be good.

ABC World News Tonight has been the #1 show on all of television for over two months and is having its most watched season in 17 years. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

ABC World News Tonight has been the #1 show on all of television for over two months and is having its most watched season in 17 years. 

That has nothing to do with my statement. Thank you for sharing why George Stephanopoulos is a great Managing Editor though. Haha!

14 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

That has nothing to do with my statement. Thank you for sharing why George Stephanopoulos is a great Managing Editor though. Haha!

I thought you were implying national network news is sinking and needs reinventing. If so, just pointing out that there is still a tremendous appetite for national network news. 

... and I think you meant David Muir, though I do enjoy George Stephanopolous, too! :)

10 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

I thought you were implying national network news is sinking and needs reinventing. If so, just pointing out that there is still a tremendous appetite for national network news. 

... and I think you meant David Muir, though I do enjoy George Stephanopolous, too! :)

I remembered the facts incorrectly. George is Chief Anchor at ABC.

I know that WNT is riding strong, but there are fewer viewers. For instance, being #1 when you there are only 100K viewers isn't as impressive as is being #1 when there are 1 million. Just sayin'...

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

On 8/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, iron_lion said:

Norah just isn’t the right fit as anchor of CEN. And if anyone has any common sense at CBS, they should give Jeff another shot at it in 2024 (if he hasn’t left by then). 

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I remembered the facts incorrectly. George is Chief Anchor at ABC.

I know that WNT is riding strong, but there are fewer viewers. For instance, being #1 when you there are only 100K viewers isn't as impressive as is being #1 when there are 1 million. Just sayin'...

With all due respect, I have no clue where you’re getting your #s from. People have been talking about the imminent death of broadcast network news for years. They aren’t going anywhere.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jase said:

With all due respect, I have no clue where you’re getting your #s from. People have been talking about the imminent death of broadcast network news for years. They aren’t going anywhere.

The mass consolidation, new streaming services and cable cutting indicate it's shrinking.

11 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The mass consolidation, new streaming services and cable cutting indicate it's shrinking.

It's shrinking but the audience is going elsewhere, that's why the media companies are investing on the free apps (CBSN, ABC News Live, etc..), that's how I'm getting my news these days since cord cutting. It's sorta neat to watch WABC or WPIX live from San Diego on my big television screen, same thing about watching ABC World News Now live at 10pm Pacific Standard Time. These companies need to embrace the future or else they will fail. I hope Nextstar brings their stations up on these free apps, would live to see KTLA on the big screen.

As for CBS Evening News, I'm in the same bandwagon with those who wished Jeff Glor was given more time to make the show his own, he was on his way there when CBS leadership decided they wanted change. The costly Norah experiment didn't work and won't work, the move to Washington D.C. seems very pointless. For me, it doesn't seem like the brand means much to CBS, just look how they gave up on the weekends and replaced it with a very low budget production. I'm very curious if the merge with Viacom will change things again for their evening format.

Like someone said earlier, the evening new format ain't dying, ABC World News is the most watched show currently. People are tuning in and ABC News has proven to have gotten the formula right in terms of content and talent that the audience appreciates. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1

Not a fan of Norah at all. Everything about her delivery is inauthentic and I look forward to who CBS pushes in next considering the whispers that Norah aggressively pursued the position over Glor. Outside of the coronavirus, her viewership is lower than Glor as well.

WNT is a shell of its former self, I’m happy for its success but I’m not a fan of the format. Lester Holt and NN consistently produce the best national product at 6:30 p.m. 

• Like 3

Glor getting shoved out will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. No Anchor is going to have immediate clout, and I felt like Glor and the show were finally in a good rhythm when they pulled the plug. The rapid fire switch from Glor to O'Donnell seemed rushed and ill informed. The move to DC, while it had good intentions, was a waste of money IMO. I like O'Donnell, and always enjoyed her on CBS This Morning, but her reads on the Evening News always feel forced and not genuine.

And for GODS SAKE, every newscast does not need to start with "Breaking News." The industry needs to have a serious discussion about that crap, because something that happened 14 hours ago, or has been happening since march, is not "Breaking."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree on World News Tonight. It follows the typical ABC format of overdramatizing the news, and adding breaking to every story. (In all fairness CBS, NBC CNN and MSNBC abuse breaking news as well). Just like Good Morning America, they've found a format that maintains a leading audience at the cost of the product. 

Nightly News is decent but the on-screen graphics packaging  is too flashy and ornate. They switch between images and b-roll at an ADD like pace. I like CBS News' style (especially CTM's) of focusing on an still image for a few moments before transitioning while not overdoing it with the graphics.

Nora is passable at best. She's better in the mornings. Lester and David are alright, the problem is just NBC and ABC News overall.  I honestly don't know where CBS can go from here. Who does the network have that can fill that role? They perhaps need to snatch a famous face from another network, and --- as I've suggested before--- follow an international hard news format to differentiate itself from NN and WNT.

60 Minutes and Sunday Morning are the best things on CBS right now. I wish CBS This Morning would reach first or second place in the ratings so that the other networks might try to copycat with more intellectual story choices in the AM.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

On 8/6/2020 at 12:09 PM, tvtime07 said:

It's shrinking but the audience is going elsewhere, that's why the media companies are investing on the free apps (CBSN, ABC News Live, etc..), that's how I'm getting my news these days since cord cutting. It's sorta neat to watch WABC or WPIX live from San Diego on my big television screen, same thing about watching ABC World News Now live at 10pm Pacific Standard Time. These companies need to embrace the future or else they will fail. I hope Nextstar brings their stations up on these free apps, would live to see KTLA on the big screen.

Hahahaha! That's not embracing technology. That's using technology to keep the old tools working even as they fail. I won't walk you through how this is a totally trash idea, like rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. Instead, I'm just going to do what I'm going to do to change it and watch the ship go down.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Hahahaha! That's not embracing technology. That's using technology to keep the old tools working even as they fail. I won't walk you through how this is a totally trash idea, like rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. Instead, I'm just going to do what I'm going to do to change it and watch the ship go down.

I don't see this as a Titanic situation. What exactly do you expect them to do? Local television has been evolving with the times and I think many stations are being very strategic with their futures. People continue to watch local tv news basely for the human connection, they connect to the story because of the reporters and anchors.  They can interact with talent on Instagram and on Twitter to get a more personal connection. Local stations are the connective tissue to many communities in terms of mass communication. All of these shenanigans do add up to what the 'tv-news experience' is all about.  If it's mainly just for context, the audience will just simply go to Google for the news or ask Alexa what's the weather outside. Even with all the fluff that we all criticize about ABC News and NBC News, their audience still remains loyal. These free apps are actually useful for those have a Roku or have decided to ditch a monthly cable subscription, which is a huge group of people. It's all about harnessing technology to their benefit,  The Titanic situation rests mainly on cable and satellite companies these days, they dug their own graves. 

Edited by tvtime07

1 hour ago, tvtime07 said:

I don't see this as a Titanic situation. What exactly do you expect them to do? Local television has been evolving with the times and I think many stations are being very strategic with their futures. People continue to watch local tv news basely for the human connection, they connect to the story because of the reporters and anchors.  They can interact with talent on Instagram and on Twitter to get a more personal connection. Local stations are the connective tissue to many communities in terms of mass communication. All of these shenanigans do add up to what the 'tv-news experience' is all about.  If it's mainly just for context, the audience will just simply go to Google for the news or ask Alexa what's the weather outside. Even with all the fluff that we all criticize about ABC News and NBC News, their audience still remains loyal. These free apps are actually useful for those have a Roku or have decided to ditch a monthly cable subscription, which is a huge group of people. It's all about harnessing technology to their benefit,  The Titanic situation rests mainly on cable and satellite companies these days, they dug their own graves. 

I expect them to get out of the business of broadcasting, providing more customized content and move to a subscription model. Saying that people watch TV news for 'human connection' is what's wrong with the platform. I want information, not to connect with other people. I also don't want to be used as a tool to sell ads, because all that's doing is exacerbating the sensationalism and appealing to the broad base, not doing real journalism regardless of it's broad base appeal. Screw that.