CBS Evening News

24994J

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Update to above post:

Graphic for promotion after watching KOVR's feed. (5:30's specific to the market)

Elizabeth Klinge will be doing Sunday, 5/24.

image.png.a66307956104474733f367f48564d0ec.png

Nice. Yet, I still hope someone from Oklahoma's Own News 9, KWTV in Oklahoma City would step in. Fingers crossed.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:56 PM, DonDonP1 said:

Nice. Yet, I still hope someone from Oklahoma's Own News 9, KWTV in Oklahoma City would step in. Fingers crossed.

I wonder too if they will drop to the next tier of markets, i.e. upper-middle markets (i.e. 31 to 60) where it is all affiliates and no O&O's, but I'd think most or all capable top 30 markets (i.e. top to high markets) would get a chance first. 

Also, I don't think they would schedule it for Oklahoma City in the spring unless they have a backup since they could have severe weather coverage to deal with as well. I'm sure there are backup options set up anyway.

Edited by GoldenShine9

2 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I wonder too if they will drop to the next tier of markets, i.e. upper-middle markets (i.e. 31 to 60) where it is all affiliates and no O&O's, but I'd think most or all capable top 30 markets (i.e. top to high markets) would get a chance first. 

Also, I don't think they would schedule it for Oklahoma City in the spring unless they have a backup since they could have severe weather coverage to deal with as well. I'm sure there are backup options set up anyway.

I'm still waiting for Pittsburgh PA (KDKA-TV) and Norfolk VA (WTKR-TV)  to get turns anchoring soon. Most Florida stations (Except WTSP and WKRG) could be a good option for June. I would also like to see Oregon and more of the Midwest get a shot as well. 

9 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I'm still waiting for Pittsburgh PA (KDKA-TV) and Norfolk VA (WTKR-TV)  to get turns anchoring soon. Most Florida stations (Except WTSP and WKRG) could be a good option for June. I would also like to see Oregon and more of the Midwest get a shot as well. 

KOIN has already had a shot in Oregon. I agree, if a Florida station is doing it, it can't be during the peak of hurricane season without backup options, so June might work, but later in the year would need backups.

Edited by GoldenShine9

How about we try this? I know it's unorthodox but use a CBS News facility. I mean, I know it's uncommon for networks to produce their newscasts in-house, but these are crazy times we live in.

Edited by jbnews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jbnews said:

How about we try this? I know it's unorthodox but use a CBS News facility. I mean, I know it's uncommon for networks to produce their newscasts in-house, but these are crazy times we live in.

How DARE YOU???

What nerve you must have to suggest [looks at notes]...that the network gets its shit together and does its job.

Edited by 24994J
  • Haha 9

22 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

when it did, the weekend show was properly branded as CBS Evening News

I don't recall the last time this occurred, but I can affirm that this is happening today now that Norah's on for Saturday - something like a "special Saturday edition of the CBS Evening News"

She also basically confirmed that she will not be anchoring on Sunday, as she said "we'll see you back on Monday." We'll see who's anchoring tomorrow.

(Image from today's newscast).

image.thumb.png.eb79052e92402808e4dc76a04bfdf463.png

5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Is that for good now, or will it go back to affiliates next weekend?

If it can be executed from DC (which is the case), then there's no reason to go back to the affiliates. I think it comes down to what are the future plans with CBSN and to a larger extent CBS News.   

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

It was in the newsroom. [Link for reference]. Reminds me of a post I read (FTVLive, I think?) that remarked upon Norah's insistence that no one else use her studio.

It also worth mentioning that the studio that Norah uses and Face the Nation uses manual pedestal cameras.  It would be one thing if they had say a manual pedestal but a PTZ/Height Drive head where several lock off shots could be used.  The show is produced out at All Mobile Video in NYC across from the CBS Broadcast Center.  Dealing with one locked off camera is easier that can be PTZ is easier (and worth noting that’s what Jose Diaz-Balart has done since COVID-19, this week said it was in NYC but before all came from Telemundo Center). 

I mentioned this in the chat that perhaps renaming the weekend show the CBS Weekend News was a way for CBS to get out of a union contract (where perhaps existing shows required more staffing - such as CBS This Morning from the studio required camera operators on robotic cameras*).  I hypothesized that by cancelling a show and starting a new would void a contract and allow them to automate it. But I asked @Weeters who said he thinks the rename was just so people would expect something different.  When Weekend News launched it was all put together before hand, you could see the time at which the show open was recorded on the screens behind them along with interviews.  At the time it was just repurposed CBSN content. 

* Worth mentioning that Meet The Press on Sunday’s use manual cameras operating CamBots (not sure about Saturday Today) but the CamBots were installed for MTP Daily where MSNBC wouldn’t need to hire multiple operators. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Reminds me of a post I read (FTVLive, I think?) that remarked upon Norah's insistence that no one else use her studio.

Color me surprised!! She seems like such a peach to work with and would do anything and everything to lend a helping hand.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jase said:

If it can be executed from DC (which is the case), then there's no reason to go back to the affiliates. I think it comes down to what are the future plans with CBSN and to a larger extent CBS News.   

If the CBS Weekend News does indeed originate permanently from the DC newsroom, then Major Garrett may become the new permanent anchor of the Weekend News. Just saying.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:15 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

Is that for good now, or will it go back to affiliates next weekend?

Turns out it's for good, as it's Major Garrett in the bureau newsroom again this weekend.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ED2 said:

CBS Weekend News is in the Los Angeles bureau this weekend (not from KCBS or KCAL's studio). Maybe the road show isn't over yet...

Adding to this, Jamie Yuccas was the anchor for both days. Other LA-based correspondents at the bureau are Mireya Villarreal and Carter Evans. If it goes back to Washington and Major is off, I speculate one of the White House correspondents (Weijia Jiang, Paula Reid, and Ben Tracy) could also take over...? We'll see. Honestly if there isn't a way for CBS to reorganize its Broadcast Center for social distancing and optimization with the ongoing pandemic, we may never see a "normal" CBS Weekend or CBSN broadcast on the regular for at least the rest of the year. This isn't to say that they all have to originate from New York since things are still getting done from elsewhere, but it will be interesting to if/how they evolve their work model as the year progresses.