CBS Evening News

24994J

1 minute ago, newseider said:

Surprised they didn’t have any back up plan. Was CBSN actually live? Hard to imagine why they couldn’t even address it or pivot to top stories asap unless it was recorded.

CBSN didn't appear to be live. It seemed more like they were piecing together already aired pieces to fill time. One interview even restarted briefly at one point before it cut to a bump and promo reel. 

KCNC is currently airing CBSN. I did see a scroll at the bottom of the screen that said the CBS Evening News was having technical difficulties please stand by.  

Edited by Chase29
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGuru said:

Rumor is there will be a west coast feed. I wonder if D.C. is back up or someone else is going to front it? At any rate, that's the entire East Coast feed blown out. 

I'm curious if New York or LA could be used for the west coast feed if DC continues to have issues?

58 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Someone remind me, has an issue quite this catastrophic hit a network before? I can't think of anything in the 2000s that has knocked a national nightly news off-air. 

edit: A quick google, and it looks like there's some power outages in and around Washington D.C. 

And I thought the down branches around my home from the wind today were an inconvenience.

In fairness, last Saturday's NBC Nightly News got perilously close to this.

Edited by TSSZNews

From Joe Flint of the Wall Street Journal:  CBS News experienced technical difficulties tonight that prevented the CBS Evening News from airing at 6:30 pm, ET on the CBS Television Network. The issue is being resolved and the Mountain and West Coast versions of the CBS Evening News will air during the regular time slots.

Hearing it was a control room meltdown. Something was recorded for the west coast.

I personally experienced the power outages in DC this afternoon but I can only imagine our friends at network have generators... 

edit: audio board died

Edited by noggi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DENDude said:

It's amazing to me that they wouldn't have a backup plan for something like this

The only one that actually looked like they did any action instead of running a crawl was KDKA-TV. I also heard they may air the West Coast CBSEN feed on sister station WPCW-TV at 11 PM.

29 minutes ago, DENDude said:

It's amazing to me that they wouldn't have a backup plan for something like this

How can you in this climate?

CBSN is the backup plan, as seen today - but they're all working from home. It would have a better chance than not they could have done it otherwise. After that, were EN still in New York, I guess maybe WCBS--also impacted by the Broadcast Center's shutdown.

After that--I guess KCBS? That (really most situations outlined above) is only feasible with a couple hours' notice--this is something that looks to have impacted the control room minutes before air.

Believe this: Almost everyone, everywhere right now is on the "backup plan."

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DENDude said:

It seemed, from our control room, to happen pretty quick. I always watch for the countdown on CBS Net as we roll copyright, but they were still in black. About 5 seconds to network, they started the promo loop.

We received the "technical difficulties" wire from CBS around 5:32 central time, so I'm assuming they were caught off guard by the situation. 

In their defense, you can have 100 backup plans, but if you don't have the time to institute them, then you (and your entire network) are SOL. The only saving grace was CBSN, but the fact that it wasn't live becomes a separate issue.

• Like 4

CBS, in general, is not having a good night. WBBM's OTA signal is down.

https://twitter.com/EdCurran/status/1262893209979621381?s=20

Our over-the-air signal has been darkened due to the unprecedented flooding of Willis Tower. The tower, and ComEd are working hard on it.

Edited by TSSZNews

57 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

The only one that actually looked like they did any action instead of running a crawl was KDKA-TV. I also heard they may air the West Coast CBSEN feed on sister station WPCW-TV at 11 PM.

Where did you hear that? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

One of the KDKA photographers I'm friends with was talking on Facebook about it and brought up the idea. I don't believe it will actually happen though.

Oh ok. I doubt it will either, but I was just curious.