CBS Evening News

24994J

On 4/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, noggi said:

It will be coming from the WUSA9 studios this weekend.

CBS Weekend News with Lesli Foster.png

Fascinating. I still hope Seattle's KIRO 7 would be next to have one of its anchors step in. Likewise, Oklahoma's Own News 9, KWTV in my beautiful native Oklahoma City. Fingers crossed.

Edited by DonDonP1

It will be interesting to see how CBS does weekends after all of this is over. Hopefully they’ll move the weekend news into the CBS “news hub” (formerly studio 47) it looks great on tv and worked much better than the cluttered, odd studio 57 newsroom set. 

• Like 2

Beat me to it ScottJ, but yes.

I'm sorry, i know this was born out of necessity, but much to the chagrin (or probably not) of Reena Ninan + Elaine Quijano, it's gotta continue even when we head toward a (new) normalcy. It's been fun.

Edited by justin2kx

I wonder who does it next weekend? If I got to choose, I'd give it to WOIO or WBTV, followed by WTVF, so other owners get a shot too.

Of the top 30 markets: 14 are O&O's and 4 are owned by Tegna, 3 by Meredith, 3 by Nexstar, 2 by Gray, 1 by Cox , 1 by Scripps, 1 by Sinclair and 1 by Graham.

Edited by GoldenShine9

9 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I wonder who does it next weekend? If I got to choose, I'd give it to WOIO or WBTV, followed by WTVF, so other owners get a shot too.

Of the top 30 markets: 14 are O&O's and 4 are owned by Tegna, 3 by Meredith, 3 by Nexstar, 2 by Gray, 1 by Cox , 1 by Scripps, 1 by Sinclair and 1 by Graham.

I still think KDKA-TV deserves to be in the conversation to do a CBS Weekend News as well. 

Portland, Oregon's KOIN 6 anchor Jeff Gianola will take over this weekend.

---

Also, a bit about the locations conundrum- after watching CBS's weekend newscasts from KIRO and WTTV, I noticed that these locations seemed to play a small part in their newscasts. For example (just to name a few), KIRO's newscasts included a short segment on Seattle being the former epicenter of the virus in the US and how it had progressed thus far, and WTTV's newscasts included a short segment on Eli Lilly and its pharmaceutical developments for the virus. I don't know if these are just consequential of the fact that newscasts were being broadcast from there or if these stations were chosen to broadcast, with the desire to emphasize these developments in the national newscast. 

8 hours ago, AaronQ said:

Next up on the list of local stations doing the CBS Weekend News is KOIN 6 of Portland, OR. And the host is Jeff Gianola.

https://www.koin.com/news/jeff-gianola-hosting-cbs-weekend-news-from-koin-6-studios/

I don't say this much about people, but he is one of those very old school anchors who has not changed with this times. I wonder how the anchors get chosen. CBS or station's choice?

BTW, does anyone know how the production actually happens? Does CBS staff produce the show remotely and then send the content (video/graphics/script) to the local station to load into their system and then produce out of their control room? Or is just a studio camera feed from the station sent to a CBS control room and then the show is assembled there?

3 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I don't say this much about people, but he is one of those very old school anchors who has not changed with this times. I wonder how the anchors get chosen. CBS or station's choice?

BTW, does anyone know how the production actually happens? Does CBS staff produce the show remotely and then send the content (video/graphics/script) to the local station to load into their system and then produce out of their control room? Or is just a studio camera feed from the station sent to a CBS control room and then the show is assembled there?

To answer one of your questions, CBS wants one of the selected station's weeknight anchors to work the Weekend News. 

On 5/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, AaronQ said:

Next up on the list of local stations doing the CBS Weekend News is KOIN 6 of Portland, OR. And the host is Jeff Gianola.

https://www.koin.com/news/jeff-gianola-hosting-cbs-weekend-news-from-koin-6-studios/

Nice. I still hope someone from Oklahoma's Own News 9, KWTV in OKC, would step in next.

The tech bug hit CBS tonight - Evening News didn’t start on time. Loop of CBS promos in its place currently.

EDIT: CBSN is now running in place of the Evening News. Mid-segment crash in. Ohhhhhhhh boy.

Edited by TSSZNews

Can confirm, CBS is having major issues. We joined at the normal time and they were in a crash loop of promos. They cut to CBSN after about 5 minutes and are in a CBSN commercial now.

Update: CBS Newspath reports the Washington control room is experiencing technical difficulties. Yowza.

Edited by TheGuru

9 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

The tech bug hit CBS tonight - Evening News didn’t start on time. Loop of CBS promos in its place.

3 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Can confirm, CBS is having major issues. We joined at the normal time and they were in a crash loop of promos

I wondered if there was a control room problem while watching a promo of Blue Bloods seconds before the 30 minute mark. (Usually my O&O airs a local ad or - as of recently - ads from St. Jude.) I was 100% sure when another network promo aired immediately after. Hopefully, everything is fixed real soon.

Someone remind me, has an issue quite this catastrophic hit a network before? I can't think of anything in the 2000s that has knocked a national nightly news off-air. 

edit: A quick google, and it looks like there's some power outages in and around Washington D.C. 

Edited by TheGuru