CBS Evening News

24994J

CBS has plenty of great journalists, but as a company they do a horrible job of building up their journalist’s brand. ABC didn’t just put David in the anchor chair out of left field. They gradually increased his presence on air and promoted him through the years before he ascended to the WNT anchor chair. People were familiar with him at that point.

Like it or not, Norah is probably one of, if not the most, recognizable faces at CBS. She was the right choice and they should’ve given it to her right after Scott was pushed out. I like Jeff and think he’s a great journalist, but the average viewer has no clue who he is. They should’ve been giving him more prominent roles when he joined CBS in 2007 and built up his name recognition so that they could’ve ascended him to the anchor chair in 2011. CBS needs to do a better job at developing their farm system.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mountainave said:

I think people are confusing pointing out untruthful statements with open disdain.

If an elected leader makes a statement that is contradicted by facts or by reporting, then it's a journalist's obligation to hold them accountable and say so.

There was a period of time during and after the 2016 election when news outlets went out of their way to highlight "all sides" or "all points of view," even when one of them was clearly misleading or not supported by facts.  We are starting to see more and more outlets, including CNN and others, be more proactive in speaking truth to power, which is why you see anchors being more aggressive in noting fact vs. fiction. 

This is an incredibly fair point but I'm not entirely sure it applies to Norah. In particular, her interviewing style is more more accusatory or insinuative that it provides the viewers a particular narrative. Dan Rather was very similar in my opinion.

That said, I am surprised with how little ground she has gained. Her newscast has a little more than half of the viewers as ABC and NBC. I don't remember it having been that wide of a gap before.

IMHO here's what I have noticed about Norah from the very beginning:  She doesn't smile enough.  The old adage goes, "It's not what you say, but how you say it."  I'm not saying she needs to smile while delivering sad stories and the like, (this is gonna hurt and will sound cruel, not trying to be sexist, but I need to be honest) ....but she needs to lose the RBF.  If you don't know what RBF is.... google it.  She's a very good looking woman, but I don't think her expressions while delivering serious stories are very inviting.  It's almost like she has a scowl on her face. 

There are plenty of female anchors out there who can deliver a heavy story without looking into the camera like you spilled purple grape juice on their new white couch. 

Norah is not one of them.

Edited by RCA TK47

Norah actually has worked longer in national news, starting in the late 90's with MSNBC/NBC News, and is about a year and a half older than Jeff. I know when they announced Jeff as the then new anchor 2 years ago, people were like "Jeff Who?". I know CBS put a lot of promotion into his launch. IIRC, Jeff previously was a CBS Evening News Saturday anchor and a news anchor on the former Early Show.

Regarding Muir, he was already a top-notch journalist before he was the main WNT anchor, going into big news locations like war zones, plus he won quite a bit of prestigious awards too for his work..  He then became co-host of 20/20, before finally becoming anchor. 

5 hours ago, mountainave said:

I think people are confusing pointing out untruthful statements with open disdain.

If an elected leader makes a statement that is contradicted by facts or by reporting, then it's a journalist's obligation to hold them accountable and say so.

There was a period of time during and after the 2016 election when news outlets went out of their way to highlight "all sides" or "all points of view," even when one of them was clearly misleading or not supported by facts.  We are starting to see more and more outlets, including CNN and others, be more proactive in speaking truth to power, which is why you see anchors being more aggressive in noting fact vs. fiction. 

I'm all for calling people out and putting people's feet to the fire, but some (maybe Norah is one of them) can't seem to move past the fact that dude is president. He isn't going to change and somehow become a better president (or person). The sooner people realize this, the better. There's also this strange need to nitpick anything and everything. Dr. Fauci misses one day and it's suddenly... 'Crisis at the White House: Day 1234'.

Norah needs to show some level of professionalism. If she wants to voice her opinion, label it as such and have at it. I'm just tired of the 5-10 second pauses following any report they show about Trump for her to either roll her eyes or bite her tongue.

Edited by jase

6 hours ago, mountainave said:

Scott Pelley did exactly this in the final months of his tenure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RCA TK47 said:

IMHO here's what I have noticed about Norah from the very beginning:  She doesn't smile enough.  The old adage goes, "It's not what you say, but how you say it."  I'm not saying she needs to smile while delivering sad stories and the like, (this is gonna hurt and will sound cruel, not trying to be sexist, but I need to be honest) ....but she needs to lose the RBF.  If you don't know what RBF is.... google it.  She's a very good looking woman, but I don't think her expressions while delivering serious stories are very inviting.  It's almost like she has a scowl on her face. 

There are plenty of female anchors out there who can deliver a heavy story without looking into the camera like you spilled purple grape juice on their new white couch. 

I have noticed the facial expressions for quite a while, and it doesn't seem to me to be the most comfortable way to watch the newscast. The only times I've seen her smile is the human interest story at the end, during sign-off and in a few promos. 

3 hours ago, RCA TK47 said:

There may be a tinge of truth to this, but I'd love to hear women's perspective. Maybe as a society people have a subconscious preference for the way we'd like to see a woman appear on TV, and this comment is a manifestation of that. I'm not saying the preference is invalid or not ok, but I've never seen anyone comment on this site about any male anchor not smiling enough. 🙄 

• Thanks 3

Diverting from the main topic right now, I'm just noticing now that a replay of CBSEN has replaced the CBS Morning News on the schedule for the next two weeks. Whatever is going on at the Broadcast Center, it must be dire enough that the reopening is now being thought of in weeks (or months) rather than days.

The more time passes... the more I don't hate the CBS Weekend News being anchored out of the different CBS O&O's around the country. It's kind of a neat idea if you remove the situation. 

However, there have been a noticeable handful of snafu's. I can't find a feed to prove it, but we noticed the CBS Weekend News ran it's open w/ countdown late on the New York Feed on Sunday, leaving our MC Op a bit miffed since we came out on the CBS feed and saw the entire countdown air. Not something the average viewer might notice, but it's just another sign of the oddity of the situation. Poor director on that show probably just had the open coded to roll at 5:00:00, not realizing it had the 10 second countdown (the usefulness of which I've always been curious about). 

• Like 2

Doug Dunbar had a pretty chill delivery when CBS Weekend News was out of Dallas, which was kind of nice to watch. I also liked Demarco Morgan's delivery, I don't know if he was that genuinely excited to do a national newscast, or if he's gunning for a network job. 

Also, how come the CBS Weekend News didn't get an opener that matched the weekday ones? CBS Overnight News did. 

The more time passes... the more I don't hate the CBS Weekend News being anchored out of the different CBS O&O's around the country. It's kind of a neat idea if you remove the situation. 

It would be a neat idea if they continue it going forward, but it would be unsustainable unless it's limited to a few of the CBS O&Os and maybe some bigger market affiliates. 

Edited by ED2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ED2 said:

Doug Dunbar had a pretty chill delivery when CBS Weekend News was out of Dallas, which was kind of nice to watch. I also liked Demarco Morgan's delivery, I don't know if he was that genuinely excited to do a national newscast, or if he's gunning for a network job. 

Also, how come the CBS Weekend News didn't get an opener that matched the weekday ones? CBS Overnight News did. 

It would be a neat idea if they continue it going forward, but it would be unsustainable unless it's limited to a few of the CBS O&Os and maybe some bigger market affiliates. 

Echo (echo)... lol

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, ED2 said:

You know, you could have just said why my opinion sucks as opposed to something vague like that...

Your opinion does not suck. Reread your post that I quoted and you'll note that you posted the same thing two times. Not a big deal at all...

22 minutes ago, KRAP-TV said:

Your opinion does not suck. Reread your post that I quoted and you'll note that you posted the same thing two times. Not a big deal at all...

Ohhh, sorry. I didn't realize that. Fixed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I guess it won't be just the O&Os anymore. The first non-O&O right here.

That's actually pretty cool to see. Wonder is KIRO Seattle or KLAS Las Vegas is on the list.

Edited by ED2