CBS Evening News

24994J

4 minutes ago, C Block said:

That fake control room backdrop to the side looks very much like the Situation Room too.

I have noticed CBS has taken on a more CNN look and feel of late. Their debate graphics earlier this week were the best I've seen them look in a LONG time - but they're so obviously CNN inspired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I have noticed CBS has taken on a more CNN look and feel of late. Their debate graphics earlier this week were the best I've seen them look in a LONG time - but they're so obviously CNN inspired.

The new EP of Evening News joined CBS last year from CNN 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

They JUST evacuated that building.  Wouldn’t be shocked if CBSN output comes from DC for a bit as well once they get up and running—problem is a lot of the staff are NYC based.

Maybe this is the reason why CBS Sports HQ is currently being simulcast on CBS Sports Network. 

Edited by tjt24

• 2 weeks later...

I've been the watching CBS Evening News with Norah as anchor for the past few months, and it seems that they've went for the ABC route with the overly dramatic speaking style and always using "breaking news" or variants of the term every single night, no matter how truly breaking the news is. Norah does a decent job, but I still prefer Jeff Glor or Scott Pelley.  

8 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I've been the watching CBS Evening News with Norah as anchor for the past few months, and it seems that they've went for the ABC route with the overly dramatic speaking style and always using "breaking news" or variants of the term every single night, no matter how truly breaking the news is. Norah does a decent job, but I still prefer Jeff Glor or Scott Pelley.  

I tried to give her a chance, but her open disdain for Trump and his administration turned me off.  Her lack of objectivity is shocking when compared to Lester and David.

SIDE NOTE: Just to be completely clear...I am not a supporter of Trump (never have been/never will be). I just wish more journalists would abide by certain tenets of journalism, especially during these times. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jase said:

I tried to give her a chance, but her open distain for Trump and his administration turned me off.  Her lack of objectivity is shocking when compared to Lester and David.

SIDE NOTE: Just to be completely clear...I am not a supporter of Trump (never have been/never will be). I just wish more journalists would abide by certain tenets of journalism, especially during these times. 

Unfortunately, this is becoming true for many journalists, even some local news anchors retweeting, replying to, and liking Trump-critical tweets. At the same time, there are some anchors liking and replying to Trump-supporting tweets. 

Edited by Georgie56

1 hour ago, jase said:

I tried to give her a chance, but her open distain for Trump and his administration turned me off.  Her lack of objectivity is shocking when compared to Lester and David.

I’m encouraged to see that I’m not the only one noticing this. While there is a lot of bias in journalism today, Norah may be one of the most blatant examples on broadcast television. It made slightly more sense on a conversational program like CTM but she hasn’t dialed it down much as anchor of EN either.

She’s just all wrong for this role.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I’m encouraged to see that I’m not the only one noticing this. While there is a lot of bias in journalism today, Norah may be one of the most blatant examples on broadcast television. It made slightly more sense on a conversational program like CTM but she hasn’t dialed it down much as anchor of EN either.

She’s just all wrong for this role.

I wish Jeff Glor was still the CBSEN anchor.  They didn't give him enough chance.  He was a class act of a news anchor...rarely seen these days...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jase said:

I tried to give her a chance, but her open disdain for Trump and his administration turned me off.  Her lack of objectivity is shocking when compared to Lester and David.

We all need to remember that objectivity is largely a postwar modern era invention. Journalism Spent most of its first 200 or so years as a partisan exercise and many of the “reporters“ were beholden directly to one or the other side. Heck some newspapers were at one time nearly party Appendages. We are going back to that slowly but surely for whatever it’s worth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think people are confusing pointing out untruthful statements with open disdain.

If an elected leader makes a statement that is contradicted by facts or by reporting, then it's a journalist's obligation to hold them accountable and say so.

There was a period of time during and after the 2016 election when news outlets went out of their way to highlight "all sides" or "all points of view," even when one of them was clearly misleading or not supported by facts.  We are starting to see more and more outlets, including CNN and others, be more proactive in speaking truth to power, which is why you see anchors being more aggressive in noting fact vs. fiction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I  can't stand Trump either but definitely notice some bias when watching the newscast. I'm sure Norah's a nice lady but what does she bring different to the table compared to Jeff Glor or Scott Pelley? The ratings have not increased, and before you know it, CBS will be back at square one finding a new anchor. I think Glor was starting to make the newscast his own when they got rid of him, now he's demoted to two hours doing a Saturday Morning newscast.