CBS Evening News

24994J

Many of Tegna's NBC affiliates have aired an overnight rerun of Nightly News since 2015. Variety has been on this since the practice started. Below is a link to article from November mentioning how the evening network newscasts are spreading to non-traditional timeslots in an attempt to squeeze out higher ratings.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/evening-news-tv-ratings-david-muir-lester-holt-norah-odonnell-1203400113/

• Like 3

Per FTVLive:

CBS Evening News is down double-digits with both total viewers and demos since July when O’Donnell’s tenure started.

O’Donnell is in last place in the broadcast networks evening news race, but it gets worse.

In markets like Los Angeles, Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit, Orlando, West Palm, Birmingham and Knoxville, O’Donnell’s newscast is even losing in the ratings to Fox News Channel’s Special Report with Bret Baier.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/12/18/oh-no-for-odonnell

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Per FTVLive:

CBS Evening News is down double-digits with both total viewers and demos since July when O’Donnell’s tenure started.

O’Donnell is in last place in the broadcast networks evening news race, but it gets worse.

In markets like Los Angeles, Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit, Orlando, West Palm, Birmingham and Knoxville, O’Donnell’s newscast is even losing in the ratings to Fox News Channel’s Special Report with Bret Baier.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/12/18/oh-no-for-odonnell

No surprise there! All those markets are traditionally basement-dweller markets for CBS.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I really have to wonder how KCNC manages to still ranks number 2 especially with all of the issues that I see and know about.

Or even most of the CBS affiliates that are traditionally leaders in their respective markets (i.e. the Griffin Stations, WLKY and KCCI).

56 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

That’s because Glor was a lower profile anchor. Give it a rest, he was not CBS’s saving grace either. His prime in popularity passed a while ago.

And Norah who is rating lower than cable programming and ever lower than Jeff Glor somehow is? Got it.

I don't remember hearing these stories under Katie Couric or Scott Pelley either.  I'm not advocating for Glor in particular, I just think its asinine to arbitrarily keep changing presenters every few years in hopes of ratings growth.

That said - in my opinion, Norah is very weak and was even on CtM. There are a number of qualified people at CBS that should have gotten this position over her.

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I really have to wonder how KCNC manages to still ranks number 2 especially with all of the issues that I see and know about.

KDKA and WCCO seem to be doing great. I bet the EN is #1 in Pittsburgh and Minneapolis.

Edited by Georgie56

58 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

And Norah who is rating lower than cable programming and ever lower than Jeff Glor somehow is? Got it.

I don't remember hearing these stories under Katie Couric or Scott Pelley either.  I'm not advocating for Glor in particular, I just think its asinine to arbitrarily keep changing presenters every few years in hopes of ratings growth.

That said - in my opinion, Norah is very weak and was even on CtM. There are a number of qualified people at CBS that should have gotten this position over her.

Just seems like you’re always hating on Norah and praising Jeff. Yes, CBS has been in last place for 35 years, but it’s not always the anchors fault.

How do you feel she’s weak? Please elaborate.

Who are the other qualified people at CBS that should have gotten the position? Keep in mind, star power is also important in addition to strong journalism skills. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

She's the least natural presenter of the 3 evening news anchors, her delivery always comes off a super try hard anchor woman even when she was on the morning show and her interviewing style is overly combative. I hardly find her reputable or personable.

Scott Pelley, Anthony Mason, Margaret Brennan, John Dickerson, Don Dahler, possibly Major Garrett and Bob Schieffer. Doesn't CBS also have a deal with CNN, there are a number of talented CNN presenters that I would put ahead of Norah. Sorry to upset you or your opinion, I just think she was one of the weakest choices any of the networks have made in anchor in quite some time. Even Katie Couric made more sense. Norah's delivery is more suited for FTN than any other CBS broadcast. Her star power has done nothing to elevate the show and she was quite possibly the weakest of that CtM bunch after Gayle and Charlie. David Muir wasn't necessarily the most popular ABC News personality but he made sense and look where his broadcast is at, averaging almost 4-5x Norah's. 

• Like 3

All I will say is CBS Evening News asked for this ratings drop to happen.  The ingracious manner that they dumped Jeff Glor was repulsive, who although may not have the same gravitas as Cronkite or Rather, demonstrated impartiality in his reporting and was very talented.    He was one of the few that just anchored the newscast, like old school style.  No opinions from him.  Just the facts and let the audience decide.    They should've stayed with Glor for the long-haul.  Yet the ingracious manner they dumped Glor was contrasted by how, on his final night, he decided to honor the people behind the scenes.  He could've used that final segment to be about him, but instead he shined the spotlight on the team rarely (if ever) seen on air.  That speaks volumes about his character.  It's CBSEN's loss that they dumped him.  

I won't get into my personal opinions about Norah, but she is not exactly impartial on the air, which is a problem for CBSEN recovering its reputation and ratings.   And deciding to move to DC was about as tone-deaf as anything.    They should instead be working to re-build their credibility, which may take years to achieve.  Getting to say you're live from Washington in a nice studio says nothing about your actual journalism and content.

True that this ratings problem started decades ago, but CBS has the ability to do better.  They just have to choose to do better.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

KDKA and WCCO seem to be doing great. I bet the EN is #1 in Pittsburgh and Minneapolis.

I respectfully disagree, just because the Evening News is #1 in places like Pittsburgh and the Twin Cities does NOT mean that it's #1 everywhere else.

When a Cable News Show beats a national network newscast on a local station in more than just one market, clearly there's a big problem (as is the case with Norah)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

When a Cable News Show beats a national network newscast on a local station in more than just one market, clearly there's a big problem (as is the case with Norah)

I find that part of the FTVLive article rather misleading. There are probably several markets where Fox News outrates ABC World News Tonight. Think about St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, Columbia SC, Providence, Des Moines, and all the small markets where the ABC affiliate is historically very weak.

^ if this is the case for ABC or NBC affiliates then I’ve never heard of it. Years ago The Early Show accomplished this same feat by rating lower than Fox & Friends in some markets. Plus the markets mentioned in the FTV Live story are each mega to decent sized markets. Not a particularly promising start to a new era of the show.

3 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

^ if this is the case for ABC or NBC affiliates then I’ve never heard of it. Years ago The Early Show accomplished this same feat by rating lower than Fox & Friends in some markets. Plus the markets mentioned in the FTV Live story are each mega to decent sized markets. Not a particularly promising start to a new era of the show.

Funny story, when Tribune premiered EyeOpener on KDAF, it outrated The Early Show here in DFW. It would only last for 2-3 days.

Edited by Georgie56

CBS in this market (Charleston) has been #1 for decades. Even the CBS Evening News was drawing 8s and 9s here with Glor. The only thing NBC wins here is the 7-8 time slot (Wheel-Jeopardy) and the Today Show from 7-9.

But even WCSC knew they were gonna be in trouble when Dan Rather left the Evening News. They added a 7pm news almost immediately when Katie Couric started the Evening News, trying to keep a lead-in. Later on they added news at 7:30pm.

ABC and Fox in Columbia are distant 3rd and 4th. It really is a 2-station market and WACH and WOLO fight for the crumbs most of the time.

13 minutes ago, sctvhound said:

CBS in this market (Charleston) has been #1 for decades. Even the CBS Evening News was drawing 8s and 9s here with Glor. The only thing NBC wins here is the 7-8 time slot (Wheel-Jeopardy) and the Today Show from 7-9.

But even WCSC knew they were gonna be in trouble when Dan Rather left the Evening News. They added a 7pm news almost immediately when Katie Couric started the Evening News, trying to keep a lead-in. Later on they added news at 7:30pm.

ABC and Fox in Columbia are distant 3rd and 4th. It really is a 2-station market and WACH and WOLO fight for the crumbs most of the time.

I know in Charleston, WCSC blows everyone else out of the water and always has. WIS is still way ahead of WLTX in Columbia, correct?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

We're all fixated on what happens with ABC News's set but meanwhile, Evening News debuted a much more modest (at least compared to the all glass) desk tonight.

I guess Norah got tired of standing at the top for 30 seconds too. This desk looks real nice. Maybe they'll keep the Eye/glass desk for the roundtable segment on Meet the Press

Face the Nation

Edited by Action Newsroom

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

I guess Norah got tired of standing at the top for 30 seconds too. This desk looks real nice. Maybe they'll keep the Eye/glass desk for the roundtable segment on Meet the Press

Too bad Meet the Press is on NBC. I think you mean Face the Nation 😂

35 minutes ago, 24994J said:

There's a quick shot of it at the end of this clip.

It is the same desk (or an identical one) to the desk they used on the debate stage last night.