CBS Evening News

24994J

On 10/24/2019 at 3:07 PM, Chopper4 said:

As long as I can remember, going back at least 30 years, the CBS evening news in the Burlington, VT / Plattsburgh, NY market has been airing at 7 PM every weeknights.    NBC and ABC are both on at 6H30 PM.         

It would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in the ratings, compared to other markets.

Pittsburgh (CBS O&O KDKA-TV) Does the same thing and air the CBS Evening News at 7 PM. Nearby Markets such as WTAJ, WTRF, and WKBN all air the CBS EN at 6:30 PM. 

Aesthetically, it's the nicest set they've had since...well, the last Washington set. I wish it didn't give such a CNN / FOX O&O feel, but that's sort of to be expected with the new EP coming from the Situation Room. I hope they find good use for those floor panels.

Visually, it's the most polished look since the Couric era.

They really could have put their money where their mouth is and led with politics tonight if that's the whole reason to set up shop there. A little disappointed it was weather instead.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 6

The studio looks nice. The graphics are a nice update from the super plain look that debuted a few months ago, though it still feels a bit on the cartoonish side to me. Strange that the old lower-third banners appeared sometimes, including for the top story. (That has to be a mistake, right?)

I still hate the show's logo taking up a bar on the bottom of the screen. They had this for Jeff Glor but then switched to a box on the left. But why is this necessary at all? Neither ABC nor NBC has anything like this in the evening.

The opening theme still feels lost to me. Sounds almost like a weak close, not an open.

But overall, an upgrade from a visual perspective. Let's see if they can take advantage of being in D.C., put on a solid broadcast, and earn the trust of new viewers.

I'm interested to see if the special report graphics are updated. I imagine we'll see that on Wednesday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

They really could have put their money where their mouth is and led with politics tonight if that's the whole reason to set up shop there. A little disappointed it was weather instead.

I agree. I would guess, going forward, Norah will be doing more political reporting (in-studio interviews with lawmakers, etc..) on a regular basis. If not, moving the show to DC would serve no purpose. She definitely is going to have to take on a 'leading role' in their overall political coverage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jase said:

I agree. I would guess, going forward, Norah will be doing more political reporting (in-studio interviews with lawmakers, etc..) on a regular basis. If not, moving the show to DC would serve no purpose. She definitely is going to have to take on a 'leading role' in their overall political coverage. 

I think that was kind of the point, and I am honestly very excited!

• Thanks 1

I think the new studio looks really good. I’m thankfully they are back to using monitor OTS instead of graphics! I always felt the graphic ones were very cheap looking. I’m also glad they are moving around to use different parts of the studio and standing sometimes unlike WNT. I agree the graphics are trending more towards WNT now with the movement and such. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ED2 said:

I wonder if the new CBSEN is using a control room in Washington, DC, or if they are sending everything back to one of the control rooms in New York.

They have been hiring for technical roles in DC, and there's always been a control room there, so it's safe to say at least a good chunk of the production is coming from DC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I’ve been told that the EP will likely be in DC but most of the crew will be back in NY. 

I wonder how permanent that arrangement will be.  I guess having much of the CBSEN staff in NY could work in the short-term, but I imagine that has to be incredibly inefficient.  Collaborating via phone calls and video conferences only work to a certain extent.  I just hope none of the rank-and-file employees lose their jobs.

11 minutes ago, C Block said:

No way that's going to last long term. Moving the show to DC was clearly all about Norah.

Agreed.  I'll be surprised if the DC version of CBSEN lasts more than a couple or few years.

36 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

In terms of the old studio, Im all for fully utilizing a resouce but, why does CBS repeatedly use studio 57 for almost everything?

After they left Studio 47 in 2016, they revamped that newsroom.  I don't know for sure if the Studio 47 space was "absorbed" into the remodeled newsroom, but the pictures released at the time the remodel was unveiled didn't show any signs of the studio still being there.   I would be curious to see if anyone has better knowledge on this matter.

All of that to say:  Besides the CBSN setup, Studio 57 (CBSTM set) has become the primary place for CBS News network broadcasts when originating from NY.

Edited by TheRyan

9 hours ago, C Block said:

No way that's going to last long term. Moving the show to DC was clearly all about Norah.

What do you mean? The bulk of the team being in NY, or the show being in DC.

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

After they left Studio 47 in 2016, they revamped that newsroom.  I don't know for sure if the Studio 47 space was "absorbed" into the remodeled newsroom, but the pictures released at the time the remodel was unveiled didn't show any signs of the studio still being there.   I would be curious to see if anyone has better knowledge on this matter.

All of that to say:  Besides the CBSN setup, Studio 57 (CBSTM set) has become the primary place for CBS News network broadcasts when originating from NY.

Every  studio CBS Broadcast Center is booked. The only place I think they could use to switch out sets would be using the CBS Sports Studio.  They’ve used the studio before for a few of their town halls they did during sweeps. But the news division doesn’t have any other major studio space except for Studio 33 which I imagine is just a chroma key studio for 60 Minutes. Studio 45 which is half Inside Edition’s virtual set and half hard set for Sunday Morning which I don’t think they dare touching (aside from maybe painting and technological upgrades has it changed from the beginning). And Studio 57 is the bulk of their operations. 

There are also two studios converted into newsrooms - Studio 57 and Studio 47.

The rest of the space is booked.

41 - The Mel Robins Show

42 - Last Week Tonight, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Desus & Mero
43 - CBS Sports

44 - CBS Sports Network

46 - WCBS/WLNY. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, C Block said:

Even if it is fully based in D.C. and "all about Norah", what difference would it make? Nothing of the move would change much the show's bottom line anyway. Plus she lives there with her family anyway, so...

• Like 1

It's a very fresh look. Parts of it give off a CNN vibe, but maybe that's because of the chrome. Large displays, sharp corners, brightly lit (although with so much blue it feels cold) with occasional round elements to change it up. It has European elements that have been given an American flare. As for the graphics. They're certainly improved. It's a flashy flat look that doesn't go overboard. It's energetic.

• Like 4

Any chance Studio 57 gets renovated to bring the look more in line with the current DC look?   I'd imagine that they would want the studio to look comparable in design in case they the show gets anchored from NY from time to time (like when a guest anchor is hosting or major coverage from NY).

4 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

It's a very fresh look. Parts of it give off a CNN vibe, but maybe that's because of the chrome. Large displays, sharp corners, brightly lit (although with so much blue it feels cold) with occasional round elements to change it up. It has European elements that have been given an American flare. As for the graphics. They're certainly improved. It's a flashy flat look that doesn't go overboard. It's energetic.

Definitely a CNN vibe. Some parts remind me of Wolf Blitzer's studio.

I've not seen NBC do it for the most part - most of the time you see Today rerun or Access. CBS still has an Overnight News but it's taped in advance, so maybe adding EN to that gives the affiliates who want it a breather off buying syndie shows. Though with how much they've touted CBSN (where Evening airs at I think 10PM ET) and now rolling out on the O&Os, I don't really see the purpose.