CBS Evening News

24994J

31 minutes ago, jase said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5fEtcVKAQ

A supercut of the 'CBS Evening News w/ Norah O'Donnell' (Newscast Studio)

I don't like the music, but the set redo is nice. Could do without the nod/mention of Murrow (or Cronkite). Those days are over. It's time to get out from behind their shadow and establish your own thing/standard. 

This technical glitch is pretty amusing 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkDA9XNPJT0

That open looks like a small market tried to rip off a station with an actual decent graphics package. The field of view on the logo shots just looks odd. The motion just stops abruptly and out of sync with other movements... Looks rushed and cheap (like the rest of CBS' graphics)

Don't even get me started on those lower thirds. Looks like a template they bought off one of the many stock graphics sites out there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are WAY too many OTS shots. It seems to be the only thing they used in that show. With Glor, they insisted on using the same monitor effects shot over and over. I don't get it. You see more variety of shots in a typical local news broadcast. When Pelley anchored I felt like they used the studio well.

The new lighting and feel of the set differentiates it nicely from CTM. I don't really understand all the NYC imagery they're using considering the broadcast is moving to DC soon.

I really like the updates to the theme music so far.

• Like 3

They went back to the original Jeff Glor look with the show logo in a horizontal banner, but the red lower-thirds have been turned blue.  (Glor's logo eventually got moved into a box on the left side.)  I do think the blue looks way better, though still overly simple and uninspired.

I'm surprised they went so heavy on the New York City skyline for a broadcast that is leaving New York in the next couple months.  Perhaps it's to make the transition to Washington even more obvious.  But the buildings do look nice in that studio.

At least twice, they put Norah's name on a lower-third.  I'm not used to seeing a network evening anchor have their name show up in anything other than a logo during his or her broadcast.  Super nerdy detail but this is TVNT so I had to bring it up. 🙂

The broadcast seemed to have more urgency.  It felt tired under Glor.

• Like 4

Music is bland and unrecognizable. Listen to that open....it goes nowhere. The graphics, like Weeters said, look cheap. The title slate with the logo is way too big! You have to move your eyes across the entire screen to read it. 

I'm curious about that technical glitch. I'm only speculating....Since it's a repeating video, it made me think maybe some of her on-cam segments were prerecorded to make sure there were no mistakes for the first show. But it's also possible that if this was a technical glitch with the switcher, the camera feed could have been captured and looped with that transition. (But I don't know why/how the switcher would be recording it's own feed like that.)

• Like 1

Strong debut.  The blues give the show an evening feel, not too different from the blues of WNT and NN.  Norah has a commanding presence and brings her own gravitas.  

This is a show I would watch.

14 hours ago, jase said:

Could do without the nod/mention of Murrow (or Cronkite). Those days are over. It's time to get out from behind their shadow and establish your own thing/standard. 

The nod to Murrow was just as much for the CBS staff as it was for the audience.  

She can give a 20 second nod to the show's history in the debut episode and still establish the show as her own.  They aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, mountainave said:

The nod to Murrow was just as much for the CBS staff as it was for the audience.  

She can give a 20 second nod to the show's history in the debut episode and still establish the show as her own.  They aren't mutually exclusive.

It's not necessary to provide a nod, mention, etc... (however brief) of the show's history. What inherent benefit does that provide? Plus, doing so (often trading off the Murrow and Cronkite name) cheapens their work/image imo. I would have rather Norah mentioned what new and exciting things SHE would bring to the newscast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jase said:

It's not necessary to provide a nod, mention, etc... (however brief) of the show's history. What inherent benefit does that provide? Plus, doing so (often trading off the Murrow and Cronkite name) cheapens their work/image imo. I would have rather Norah mentioned what new and exciting things SHE would bring to the newscast.

Of course it wasn’t necessary. It wasn’t necessary for them to change the lights to blue or for Norah to wear a pantsuit either. It was a choice.

This is nothing new, by the way. When Charlie, Diane, and David each took over WNT, they all cited Peter Jennings in one way or another.  For people who work in that business, it’s an act of respect.  As I said, the 20 second nod to the show’s legacy was just as much for the CBS News staff as it was for the audience. 

• Like 8

On 7/15/2019 at 10:11 PM, tvnewsguy1211 said:

Well I liked the overall feel of the newscast tonight. I almost felt as if it had a touch of a local newscast delivery with the graphics from the open and a little bit with the OTS graphics too. 

I liked tonight's newscast better than the debut. She seemed more relaxed (at ease) being out in the field/on the road. Hopefully, she'll able to bring a more relaxed, comfortable and relatable approach when she gets back behind the desk. Plus, I hope they attempt to keep things (overall format, graphics, etc...) the same once they make to move to DC. Best to keep things stable and not over-react early on.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:29 PM, mountainave said:

When Charlie, Diane, and David each took over WNT, they all cited Peter Jennings in one way or another. 

Trying to avoid a tit for tat. I can't recall what Charlie said at the end of his debut broadcast, but Diane gave a shout-out to Charlie ('That's World News & for one last time, Charlie Gibson...') and David gave a shout-out to Diane (something like...'Thanks for all the well wishes tonight, especially one from Diane Sawyer..'). Had Norah gave a tip-of-the-hat to Jeff Glor, that may have resonated more to viewers and CBS News staffers than invoking the spirit of Murrow (who average viewers likely don't know and/or care to know). 

Edited by jase

The studio looks phenomenal lit up like that. The open is probably the worst thing of all. Repeating shots showing nothing but the logo is small market. It's also uninspiring. The first couple seconds with the eye were promising, then...nothing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

The studio looks phenomenal lit up like that. The open is probably the worst thing of all. Repeating shots showing nothing but the logo is small market. It's also uninspiring. The first couple seconds with the eye were promising, then...nothing.

Yeah... it's only 10 seconds, so I admittedly don't care too much about it.  But, to your point, it is simple.  I wouldn't mind if they instead tried overlaying the logo on top of a clip panning the CBS newsroom, or a clip of Norah walking out of her office toward the set, or something like that.  Some shot that says "This is real journalism.  Let's go."

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 24994J said:

I feel like the open is trying to emulate the 2012 World News open, but not hardly rendered and animated as well as the ABC version.

OMG Diane Sawyer is so good!

• Like 1

No real ratings bump for CBSEN and that’s exactly what they deserve. I’m sure we won’t see much difference between Norah or the other 3 anchors before her but CBS will still make an anchor change in the next few years. https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-july-15-2/409476/

To me it looks like CBS News lost the lead graphics guy or firm that they used for the last few years. Both this and the current "This Morning" graphics are a huge step back both stylistically and in complexity. They remind me a lot of the chunky, small market looks the network had in the pre-Scott Pelley era.

Edited by qunewsguy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MorningNews said:

No real ratings bump for CBSEN and that’s exactly what they deserve. I’m sure we won’t see much difference between Norah or the other 3 anchors before her but CBS will still make an anchor change in the next few years. https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-july-15-2/409476/

It's been a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

It's actually been about 30 years that the program has sat in 3rd place.

You said "no real ratings bump," referring to Norah's time at CBSEN, which during the reported ratings window was a whopping five days.

By the way, you said in your post, "...and that's exactly what they deserve."  Why do "they" "deserve" that?

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, mountainave said:

You said "no real ratings bump," referring to Norah's time at CBSEN, which during the reported ratings window was a whopping five days.

By the way, you said in your post, "...and that's exactly what they deserve."  Why do "they" "deserve" that?

Well isn't she being heralded by CBS' new leader to be the show's saving grace? It doesn't seem like it. Doesn't seem like the changes made at CTM are proving to be successful either.

It's what the entire leadership of CBS deserves because for years they've made talent the scapegoat for lackluster viewership figures instead of addressing format, content and structure of their programs. The one time they took a risk with their programming (in recent memory for me) resulted in a string of the most successful years their morning show has ever had. Barring any odd changes at ABC or NBC, Norah's entire CBSEN tenure will see the show parked firmly in 3rd place.

• Like 1