CBS Evening News

24994J

18 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Seems a little suspicious. First, wasn’t it his show, so wouldn’t he have had oversight on such matters. Second, why would you stay at the company after all this? Seems like he’s making up excuses for his failure as an anchor of the CBS EN.

Not sure if you’re serious or not - but ask Megyn Kelly, Ann Curry and a host of other tv personalities why they stayed in a working environment that was toxic. It’s not an uncommon thing to happen in all types of careers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Not sure if you’re serious or not - but ask Megyn Kelly, Ann Curry and a host of other tv personalities why they stayed in a working environment that was toxic. It’s not an uncommon thing to happen in all types of careers.

Valid point. I guess what I was getting at was it bothered Scott enough to complain about it, so why didn’t it bother him enough to leave? And now he’s bring it up again. Megyn and Ann, as far as we know, might’ve been aware of it, but never complained about and pretty much minded their own business.

I know a lot of people here are big fans of his, but at the end of the day, the general television viewing public never really warmed to his presentation. Disrespectful for him to say this while he’s still employed by them. Still sounds like sour grapes to me.

13 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Valid point. I guess what I was getting at was it bothered Scott enough to complain about it, so why didn’t it bother him enough to leave? And now he’s bring it up again. Megyn and Ann, as far as we know, might’ve been aware of it, but never complained about and pretty much minded their own business.

I know a lot of people here are big fans of his, but at the end of the day, the general television viewing public never really warmed to his presentation. Disrespectful for him to say this while he’s still employed by them. Still sounds like sour grapes to me.

The guy is selling a book at the end of the day, he needed to share intimate experiences like that to create some watercooler buzz (it worked, we're talking about it).  And like I said yesterday, the new CBS News regime is most likely supporting him sharing of his experiences in order to show that change has been made. There was most likely thought placed into going on CNN to do this interview, this wasn't a Star Jones gone rogue situation. 

60 Minutes.

Would you rather stay with that show, do what you love, get paid handsomely for it and be a face of the most prestigious American news program ever made (which also has its own staff, btw), or deflect to another network doing the same reports but realize it's not the same, or even sit on your butt doing essentially nothing they give you for more or less the same paycheck?

I agree. 60 Minutes is still the most prestigious primetime news program in my opinion. The other networks have pretty much given up on theirs, Dateline and 20/20 are pretty much cookie-cutter crime docuseries now and are pretty much a shell their former selves. 

Edited by tvtime07

50 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

First, wasn’t it his show, so wouldn’t he have had oversight on such matters. Second, why would you stay at the company after all this? 

Just because you're the face of a certain news program (or any TV show for that matter) that doesn't mean leaving from a "toxic environment" will immediately give you better options and not face something similar elsewhere.

In Scott's case, I assume, it's 60 Minutes.

Would you rather stay for that show, doing what you love, getting paid handsomely for it and be a face of the most prestigious American news program ever made (which also has its own staff, btw), or deflect to another network doing the same reports under the eyes of people watching to see it all possibly fall but realize it's not the same, or even sit on your butt doing essentially nothing for more or less the same paycheck?

And in many other cases, other TV personalities who went through the same thing don't have many a choice of leaving for other networks or leaving the business entirely, so they deal with it until they finally had enough.

Remember, we've rediscovered in the last few weeks that 60 Minutes operates almost entirely separately from the main news division, so he's probably not crossing paths with a lot of those people on a day-to-day basis.

• Like 3

Is this a new graphic on Norah O'Donnell's twitter page... a sign of things to come? If it is I'm not a fan I'm afraid, sort of a step backwards in the graphics but it is more consistent with the new CTM graphics.

Screenshot_2019-05-30_at_21_10_40.png

Just now, EthanR said:

Is this a new graphic on Norah O'Donnell's twitter page... a sign of things to come? If it is I'm not a fan I'm afraid, sort of a step backwards in the graphics but it is more consistent with the new CTM graphics.

Screenshot_2019-05-30_at_21_10_40.png

Looks to me like it might just be a duratrans in the DC studio.

37 minutes ago, qunewsguy said:

Looks to me like it might just be a duratrans in the DC studio.

No duras in the DC studio, all monitor walls.  But my little birdie told me they are trying to find a second area for a set for the EN. 

Jeff Glor is staying with CBS News....

as he will now be the co-anchor of...

CBS This Morning...

:Saturday.

He has also become Special Correspondent.

(ehh, well it fits his talents well.

I'm just very happy he'll stilll be on TV at least.)

38 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Jeff Glor is staying with CBS News....

as he will now be the co-anchor of...

CBS This Morning...

:Saturday.

He has also become Special Correspondent.

(ehh, well it fits his talents well.

I'm just very happy he'll stilll be on TV at least.)

Good for him. I'm glad he quickly got a new role after his stint on the EN ended.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like that move to Washington DC  is fast , FTVLive reports that  CBS announced that CBS EVENING NEWS W/Norah O'Donnell to debut on July 15th from washington DC,but then again who knows..we'll just find out on july 15th

Edited by lugnuts6

37 minutes ago, lugnuts6 said:

Looks like that move to Washington DC  is fast , FTVLive reports that  CBS announced that CBS EVENING NEWS W/Norah O'Donnell to debut on July 15th from washington DC,but then again who knows..we'll just find out on july 15th

It debuts July 15 from New York, according to CBS. It will move to Washington in fall. 

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5fEtcVKAQ

A supercut of the 'CBS Evening News w/ Norah O'Donnell' (Newscast Studio)

I don't like the music, but the set redo is nice. Could do without the nod/mention of Murrow (or Cronkite). Those days are over. It's time to get out from behind their shadow and establish your own thing/standard. 

This technical glitch is pretty amusing 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkDA9XNPJT0

Edited by jase

3 minutes ago, jase said:

A supercut of the 'CBS Evening News w/ Norah O'Donnell' (Newscast Studio)

I don't like the music, but the set redo is nice. Could do without the nod/mention of Murrow (or Cronkite). Those days are over. It's time to get out from behind their shadow and establish your own thing/standard. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5fEtcVKAQ

and I just realized, is that Joe Cipriano who voiced the open?

13 minutes ago, tvnewsguy1211 said:

and I just realized, is that Joe Cipriano who voiced the open?

Certainly sounds like it.

Overall, I like it. The set looks better when gussied up for this, and not just the same lighting and stuff as CTM. I love the graphics updates, but will miss the old theme. Glad they kept the rough signature, at least.

1 minute ago, 24994J said:

Certainly sounds like it.

Overall, I like it. The set looks better when gussied up for this, and not just the same lighting and stuff as CTM. I love the graphics updates, but will miss the old theme. Glad they kept the rough signature, at least.

I would have liked something new music-wise (some cuts/transitions sound off), but I can understand why they didn't go that route (at least not yet). I do wonder if they will try to keep some of the current set elements once they make the move to DC instead of building something completely new.