CBS Evening News

24994J

I actually like the "eyeopener" style.

Would be better if they dropped the traditional tease all together.

Not a fan of the eyeopener. It seems too out of place for the evening news. And I don't like that camera moments/shots either. Way too much jumping around the studio (10 secs shot of Jeff at the desk, then a quick shot of the big video screen w/ some random people in the green room, then to the person in the field, etc..). Just way too much going on.

Really, you think CBS is better than ABC and NBC? I still think they are the most left of the big three.

Not really cause NBC is more left since they have their cousin network MSNBC. The sharing of talent on that network impacts the perception of NBC News network.

CBS is better cause not all their content is the same. CBS programming is different from the other. I like the slower paced CBS Sunday Morning you don't get that from the other networks which is nothing but cotton candy.

Not a fan of the eyeopener. It seems too out of place for the evening news. And I don't like that camera moments/shots either. Way too much jumping around the studio (10 secs shot of Jeff at the desk, then a quick shot of the big video screen w/ some random people in the green room, then to the person in the field, etc..). Just way too much going on.

That may be intentional since we heard the rumor CBS is mulling the idea of showing Glor as little as possible since ratings haven't done well under him.

Speaking of ratings, FTVLive reports that The Wrap reports CBSEN's ratings are consistently down since he took over. Makes you wonder if CBS thinks they made a mistake.

That may be intentional since we heard the rumor CBS is mulling the idea of showing Glor as little as possible since ratings haven't done well under him.

It's not his fault...

But he is sure gonna get the blame.

You can't blame the sale weasels...you can't blame the set or graphics.

CBS should adopt my "End of News Days" final newscast format.

"The incredibly non-biased multi-gender liberally-conservative quasi-woke international-action-eyewitness news-team..."

or

tinbmglcqwiaent

That's it folks...after this format it's all over.

• Like 1

The problem is - in David Muir, ABC found itself with a dramatic, attractive and especially flamboyant evening news host who is perfect for attracting viewers in the demo - notably women. It's like the so-called "appeal" of Justin Trudeau. Peter Jennings - although not gay - I remember was really the first to have this whimsical, conversational (and higher-pitched) kind of delivery that engendered a deeper kind of "connection" with the viewer than the more impersonal, old-school "voice of God"-style anchors like Dan Rather. Jennings definitely represented a "different" mould of anchorman in his era at ABC. And Muir was the logical successor to keep that style going (in his case, going way over the top. For what it's worth, I am not a fan of Muir's or ABC's new style at all). So, Jeff Glor is the opposite of this style. CBS's mistake was thinking it was just about age, and hiring a telegenic youthful anchor. No, it was about expressiveness and flair and drama - like it or not. Jeff hasn't got it.

• Like 3

It seems as if CBS wants to be number one and not put in the work to get there! If they actually come up with a plan and stop being brash with firing Scott before they had a real succession plan maybe they would’ve been better off. I will say the “eye opener” rundown was a good start.

• Like 2

Muir is leading in the $$ demo and in HH numbers more than not. Holt’s numbers inherited from Williams have slowly slipped away. ABC has been the only one to build an audience recently while both NBC and CBS are trending down. So at the end of day it may not matter what those of us in the business or those of you who are news fans think... the viewers think Muir and ABC are it currently.

• Like 1

Muir is leading in the $$ demo and in HH numbers more than not. Holt’s numbers inherited from Williams have slowly slipped away. ABC has been the only one to build an audience recently while both NBC and CBS are trending down. So at the end of day it may not matter what those of us in the business or those of you who are news fans think... the viewers think Muir and ABC are it currently.

Nightly News numbers started ticking down when Brian Williams was still in charge and Muir started beating Williams in demo and viewership. When it started ticking down that was when scandal about Williams lying came in. Nightly News got a big bump when Lester took over in fact Lester was beating ABC triple the viewership then around late 2017, the numbers started to slip at Nightly News. I think part of it was due NBC's scandals with Weinstein, Lauer and also the hiring of Megyn Kelly.

I think part of it is affliliate numbers. At my hometown ABC affiliate is highest rated and also carryover is important. Muir is benefiting from cross-over appeal such as being on GMA, making appearences on Kelly Ripa etc.

Also where are the places where Muir is getting better ratings from, is he benefiting from coastal cities or middle America.

Also let's be honest, NBC has been very biased in their reporting. Lester Holt is not the problem but when you have biased reporters from MSNBC carry onto main network in this hyperpolitical time, it will turn off a lot of people.

That is why I believe that NBC Nightly News has to limit the reporters who are on MSNBC.

• Like 1

Appreciate your views. I just disagree. NBC News reporters are no more biased than any others. Maddow and the other opinion show hosts on MSNBC are getting record numbers. Especially good in the demo. NBC is delighted for that. MSNBC has refocused during the day to basically the NBC News Channel. Evenings are opionion shows. Record ratings on both dayparts. My NBC News colleagues in management are very happy and their research is a majority of positives for the first time in the history of the cable network.

• 1 month later...

Watched the EN for the first time since the "EyeOpener" intro debuted. I was surprised and also disappointed. I'm a sucker for news opens, so going from a read of headlines that lead into "This is the CBS Evening News..." to a read of two top stories that bring us to a 1 minute rundown of headlines is a letdown for me because I truly appreciate the classic, old-school ways of not just the news on TV, but shows of all genres. Though I may be an outlier in some ways to my generation of "at your fingertips" and "instant gratification", I do understand why these moves need to be made, even if it does or does not concern Glor's future.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Scott Pelley has a(n un)surprising account of his "dismissal" from the Evening News during his interview with CNN's Brian Stelter.

He says he was let go for reporting a "hostile work environment" to division executives. This was really scummy on the executives' part IMO.

Seems a little suspicious. First, wasn’t it his show, so wouldn’t he have had oversight on such matters. Second, why would you stay at the company after all this? Seems like he’s making up excuses for his failure as an anchor of the CBS EN.

Edited by TVNewsLover

That's awful if that's the main reason he got the ax on CBSEN. Doesn't his ratings play a big part at the end of the day though? More like sour grapes to me.

I can understand if he got an "ok" from the new regime to talk about this, it's pretty much a PR thing to show that there is new blood at CBS.

Ratings for the Evening News *were* up under Scott's tenure as anchor, but the gains were molehills compared to the mountain needed.

And, unfortunately, Charlie was a draw and his departure has killed CTM.

It's good that there's new blood behind the scenes, but I'm concerned everyone looking for the Murrow / Cronkite days to be rebuilt are going to be sorely disappointed. I've already seem some cracks in the "Real News" brand with the recent R. Kelly interview (and their subsequent milking of it) and the Royals special. Considering either of those would have been unfathomable inside those halls 10 years ago.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Ratings for the Evening News *were* up under Scott's tenure as anchor, but the gains were molehills compared to the mountain needed.

And, unfortunately, Charlie was a draw and his departure has killed CTM.

It's good that there's new blood behind the scenes, but I'm concerned everyone looking for the Murrow / Cronkite days to be rebuilt are going to be sorely disappointed. I've already seem some cracks in the "Real News" brand with the recent R. Kelly interview (and their subsequent milking of it) and the Royals special. Considering either of those would have been unfathomable inside those halls 10 years ago.

Viewer tastes have changed drastically since the Murrow / Cronkite days, it's an unrealistic expectation if people think CBS News will transition back to what they were in the 20th century. We live in different times and both ABC News and NBC News knows that and have been able to cater to a stronger audience and better brand recognition on their programs. R. Kelly and Royals (fluff that you'd see on TMZ or People Magazine) brings in the eyeballs and the money, there's always going to be a place for that. I still think CBS has better content than its competitors  just on what they show on Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes alone, it's obvious that they are trying to revitalize their presence on CTM and CBSEN, we'll see if these changes "work" and if they can balance fluff vs. "original reporting". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

'Ive already seem some cracks in the "Real News" brand with the recent R. Kelly interview (and their subsequent milking of it) and the Royals special. Considering either of those would have been unfathomable inside those halls 10 years ago.

R. Kelly is being accused of a very serious crime. Just because he's in the entertainment business, doesn't mean news organizations should turn a blind eye. I'm not saying you 'sensationalize' the story, but it's one that needs to be covered. Same with the Smollett case.

• Like 4