CBS Evening News

24994J

Page Six: Amid slumping ratings, Glor may soon be out as CBS Evening News anchor. As always, take with a huge grain of salt.

https://pagesix.com/2018/05/31/cbs-may-boot-jeff-glor-from-evening-news/?_ga=2.234553630.1243895627.1527822203-173086073.1518796806

It seems like in terms of news, CBS takes one step forward (CBS-TM, 60 Minutes, Sunday Morning, Face The Nation, etc.) and five steps backwards (Evening News and Weekend News).

• Like 3

I tuned in again for the first time in a while, and I couldn't believe how subtly different the show is now. It definitely blends in with its competitors more than it did before. Reporter packages are seemingly shorter and have a faster pace. Glor is on a tight shot in front of the video wall for almost the entire broadcast – he could very well be anywhere or nowhere. And I'm not against the idea of having a super on the screen the entire time, but does it have to be so big?

It's not necessarily a bad broadcast, but it just doesn't feel the same or as comprehensive as it did before.

• Like 6

I tuned in again for the first time in a while, and I couldn't believe how subtly different the show is now. It definitely blends in with its competitors more than it did before. Reporter packages are seemingly shorter and have a faster pace. Glor is on a tight shot in front of the video wall for almost the entire broadcast – he could very well be anywhere or nowhere. And I'm not against the idea of having a super on the screen the entire time, but does it have to be so big?

It's not necessarily a bad broadcast, but it just doesn't feel the same or as comprehensive as it did before.

If anything, CBS maybe going back to the way they used to do it when Bob Schieffer was the Interim Anchor following Dan Rather's departure from the CBS Evening News in 2005 with shorter teases, etc.

• Like 3

Consider both the EP of Evening News and the current president of CBS News have past backgrounds at FOX News Channel--versus Steve Capus, who previously was at NBC.

We're probably seeing at least a form of what a FOX national newscast would look like, had it come to proper fruition.

Make of that what you will.

• Like 3

We're probably seeing at least a form of what a FOX national newscast would look like, had it come to proper fruition.

Make of that what you will.

I wonder if Sinclair will put pressure on FOX to launch some form of nightly national offering...in whatever form it takes.

CBS is a freaking mess right now...SF and Philly are in the crapper...same with most the other CBS news products.

And the crazy lawsuits...

Run!

• Like 1

I wonder if Sinclair will put pressure on FOX to launch some form of nightly national offering...in whatever form it takes.

Why would they?

1) They're probably cooking one of their own up anyway if the Trib acquisition goes through,

2) For the moment it's more profitable for the stations impacted by such a thing to run syndie programming or local news.

• Like 2

Why would they?

1) They're probably cooking one of their own up anyway if the Trib acquisition goes through,

2) For the moment it's more profitable for the stations impacted by such a thing to run syndie programming or local news.

They would do it as a reactive move to Sinclair rolling out a national newscast.

Lets see how long syndicated fare flies once it's game-on in the fight for conservative eyeballs.

Not planning for the possibilities would be unwise and short sighted for all players.

FOX has plenty of NN "templates" ready to deploy if needed.

I don't see any of those scenarios happening anytime soon. Fox would tell Sinclair to suck it if they wanted a national evening newscast from Fox. Fox and Sinclair already have a somewhat testy relationship. Fox objected to the Trib sale, and sure, Fox never submitted a bid for Tribune in the end, but it probably doesn't sit well with them that one company owns a good chunk of their affiliates.

I don't see either Fox or Sinclair trying a national broadcast, and the reason for that is that both of those companies are so cheap that they'd much rather keep extending local news and filling it with repeated and filler content. The way I see it, only if/when they start shutting down news departments would be the time when they would do a centralized national newscast.

• Like 1

I don't see any of those scenarios happening anytime soon. Fox would tell Sinclair to suck it if they wanted a national evening newscast from Fox. Fox and Sinclair already have a somewhat testy relationship. Fox objected to the Trib sale, and sure, Fox never submitted a bid for Tribune in the end, but it probably doesn't sit well with them that one company owns a good chunk of their affiliates.

I don't see either Fox or Sinclair trying a national broadcast, and the reason for that is that both of those companies are so cheap that they'd much rather keep extending local news and filling it with repeated and filler content. The way I see it, only if/when they start shutting down news departments would be the time when they would do a centralized national newscast.

Nobody thought Scripps would try to launch a national newscast...

just saying...

If there is a pending race to grab up conservative viewers, you can bet a national product will be highly considered if Sinclair rolls one out.

Everyone is just trying to hold on to viewers right now. ..so if there is a fight for the conservative ones you can be assured all stops will be pulled out.

Everything will be on the table...

Even a network newscast .

Tonight they launched a "60 second eye opener" at the top of the show.

I mentioned that in the chat box earlier. They also did a newer intro and eliminated the opening voice over (whose voice was in many TV promos in the 80s & 90s).

BTW, is it wrong to admit that I've been watching the CBS Evening News almost every night since Jeff came in?

I mentioned that in the chat box earlier. They also did a newer intro and eliminated the opening voice over (whose voice was in many TV promos in the 80s & 90s).

BTW, is it wrong to admit that I've been watching the CBS Evening News almost every night since Jeff came in?

Not sure what’s wrong with that. I’ve liked Jeff Glor for a really long time in the EN role, didn’t care for him much during his Early Show stints.

• Like 3

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

11 steps left.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Page Six: Amid slumping ratings, Glor may soon be out as CBS Evening News anchor. As always, take with a huge grain of salt.

https://pagesix.com/2018/05/31/cbs-may-boot-jeff-glor-from-evening-news/?_ga=2.234553630.1243895627.1527822203-173086073.1518796806

I don't believe he should lose his job. Does not matter who you put on that network, the real issue that evening news does not want to address is that people see the evening news as formulaic and the same. Digital disruption has taken over traditional broadcasting and people don't feel obligated to do appointment television anymore. It is sign of the times, there is nothing wrong with Jeff Glor.

• Like 2

I don't believe he should lose his job. Does not matter who you put on that network, the real issue that evening news does not want to address is that people see the evening news as formulaic and the same. Digital disruption has taken over traditional broadcasting and people don't feel obligated to do appointment television anymore. It is sign of the times, there is nothing wrong with Jeff Glor.

The CBS news bias has cost them viewers.

Same with CNN....same with many other left skewing news operations.

Just like the NFL...conservative viewers just don't care for the CBSEN product. I'm 1000% positive the suits at CBS already know this.

MSNBC picks up the majority of the cable left...leaving CNN "crumbs".

FNC, OAN, Newsmax, Sinclair and some others see that conservative TV has many , many viewers who are on ALL platforms.

That's why you see those operations (conservative) expanding...except maybe "The Blaze".

Is "Political Affiliation" a Nielsen / Comscore demographic yet?

How about LGBT as a Nielsen / Comscore demo?

The CBS product is the problem...not the presenter.

• Like 1

Just like the NFL...conservative viewers just don't care for the CBSEN product. I'm 1000% positive the suits at CBS already know this.

FNC, OAN, Newsmax, Sinclair and some others see that conservative TV has many , many viewers who are on ALL platforms.

That's why you see those operations (conservative) expanding...except maybe "The Blaze".

CBS is better then NBC and ABC which is more obvious however conservative news outlets are bias as well. What I am insulted with is how mainstream media works to dumb us down.Evening news covers the news that happened in 9AM. Why can't they come up with other news besides doing the same script. This just shows how fixed the news media has gotten. Catering to viewers, my foot. Most viewers are tune to what happened today but the evening news stays in the same box. Also, they work to stir your emotions not inform you why do you think things are so hyperpartisan. We are not living in an informative society but an emotional one that the mainsteam media continues to exploit.

• Like 2

CBS is better then NBC and ABC which is more obvious however conservative news outlets are bias as well. What I am insulted with is how mainstream media works to dumb us down.Evening news covers the news that happened in 9AM. Why can't they come up with other news besides doing the same script. This just shows how fixed the news media has gotten. Catering to viewers, my foot. Most viewers are tune to what happened today but the evening news stays in the same box. Also, they work to stir your emotions not inform you why do you think things are so hyperpartisan. We are not living in an informative society but an emotional one that the mainsteam media continues to exploit.

There are NO unbaised newscast anymore.

I'm telling you what is selling right now...and what is not.

Yes it's totally political.

As a station GM I think dollars...

You think politics...and that's how I make money.

When "democrat and left" is hot and selling....I will tell the KBEX sale weasels to sell left.

But right now..."Right" is "Hot". ask ABC.

Why don't you all ask Jeff Zuker what the viewers are watching.

I don't tell the viewers what to watch.

I just try to make (and take) all the money I can from both sides....and currently the fat white guys with guns are buying ad time....and watching TV.

Let me tell you a little story...

George Soro's just pulled out of a 1.5 million dollar ad buy in San Diego where he was pushing a candidate for local District Attorney. Do you know how many :30's that is??? ...and the worth?

http://freebeacon.com/politics/soros-drops-1-5-million-san-diego-far-left-district-attorney-candidate/

That's a hell of a lot of money going into TV ads that suddenly got yanked because somebody didn't think that was worth it . The left is just too fragmented right now, and they don't have any direction for advertising with lack of messaging.

Plenty of "appointment viewers " still out there. Think of all the old people stuck in rest homes...watching FNC and Lawrence Welk...just dying for election day when the bus will come...and the seniors will go vote.

People "age in" to more conservative views when they decide they want to keep most of their remaining dollars.

The boomers still have 20 years to bloom.

• Like 1

There are NO unbaised newscast anymore.

I'm telling you what is selling right now...and what is not.

Yes it's totally political.

As a station GM I think dollars...

You think politics...and that's how I make money.

When "democrat and left" is hot and selling....I will tell the KBEX sale weasels to sell left.

But right now..."Right" is "Hot". ask ABC.

Why don't you all ask Jeff Zuker what the viewers are watching.

I don't tell the viewers what to watch.

I just try to make (and take) all the money I can from both sides....and currently the fat white guys with guns are buying ad time....and watching TV.

Let me tell you a little story...

George Soro's just pulled out of a 1.5 million dollar ad buy in San Diego where he was pushing a candidate for local District Attorney. Do you know how many :30's that is??? ...and the worth?

http://freebeacon.com/politics/soros-drops-1-5-million-san-diego-far-left-district-attorney-candidate/

That's a hell of a lot of money going into TV ads that suddenly got yanked because somebody didn't think that was worth it . The left is just too fragmented right now, and they don't have any direction for advertising with lack of messaging.

Plenty of "appointment viewers " still out there. Think of all the old people stuck in rest homes...watching FNC and Lawrence Welk...just dying for election day when the bus will come...and the seniors will go vote.

People "age in" to more conservative views when they decide they want to keep most of their remaining dollars.

The boomers still have 20 years to bloom.

I have to disagree with you on your assessment. While I agree that there is a growing niche for conservative news, I don’t think “right” is “hot”. “Left” is still the “hot” item. Honestly, what I think most people would enjoy there is a lack of, and that’s “center”.

• Like 1

Really, you think CBS is better than ABC and NBC? I still think they are the most left of the big three.