CBS Evening News

24994J

One thing I want Jeff to do is get a haircut. I know that seems like nothing to worry about but he need a new look. He just looks like a man trying hard to keep his 90s look.

Or... maybe get a new hairpiece. I mean look closely.

• Like 2

I too think the Evening News will become more WNT-like, however, it'll be difficult to fully pull it off mostly due to the fact that CBS's reporter base is so old compared to ABC. I'd find it hard to see someone like John Blackstone doing a minute long package with the phrases "fast moving", "dramatic" and "chaos" used, sometimes all in the same sentence.

Jeff Glor is around the same age as David Muir so they want to project the news anchor as being virile. To be honest Jeff Glor does not have the same reporting and experience like Holt and Muir. Jeff Glor has no specialty and the fact that he got the job shows that CBS might be thinking less of the prominence of their evening news. Their bread and butter is 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday Morning.

Any notice the lower thirds look like Fox’s.

I also noticed the similarity with Fox News' look having the show title on the lower line of the lower-third.

I'm really not a fan of the new lower-thirds. Before today, for the last few years, lower-thirds were pretty much only used to identify CBS News correspondents and no one else. Now they're a permanent fixture on the screen, like the other two evening newscasts. And CBS's are huge. They have two different banners for one-line headlines and one us a big red one. I don't understand why they're using two. The red one matches the one used to identify people (which spells out "Senator" for the first time I can remember instead of abbreviating it). It's just really ugly and lacks any design. I'm expecting them to make modifications in the coming days... perhaps either to remove the show title completely or to have it be replaced by the L3 for people when that pops up. We'll see.

That "Evening Newsfeed" segment right before the first tease felt gimmicky and reminded me of World News Tonight. Then the first tease was correspondent-driven with no VO from Glor.

The open is similar to what it had been but they rearranged the way it looks... the and changing of the pictures no longer seems to "match" the music.

The studio has been darkened and Glor sits for most of the broadcast, unlike Pelley, who stood for most of it.

• Like 3

A couple of superficial observations:

1. Noticed the return of the old voiceover on the open.

2. I've always liked Jeff Glor, but Jeff needs to slow down his reads.

3. The lower thirds are way too big. I don't like the persistent headline L3 during the story. Leave that for CBSN.

4. I don't like the montage at the end of the show.

5. Glad to see the CBS Evening News logo match the CBS network logo. Also the CBSEN logo is in a nice linear arrangement, instead of the goofy looking logo we had before.

6. Happy that CBSEN kept the same music.

• Like 2

Yeah what's the point of that? "Here are the stories we covered in the show, just a refresher." And the movement with the music (beginning and end), while unique, is pretty fast paced and can be a bit disorienting.

1. Noticed the return of the old voiceover on the open.

2. I've always liked Jeff Glor, but Jeff needs to slow down his reads.

3. The lower thirds are way too big. I don't like the persistent headline L3 during the story. Leave that for CBSN.

5. Glad to see the CBS Evening News logo match the CBS network logo. Also the CBSEN logo is in a nice linear arrangement, instead of the goofy looking logo we had before.

6. Happy that CBSEN kept the same music.

I agree with #4 especially... the affiliate camera shots were cool...

Yeah what's the point of that? "Here are the stories we covered in the show, just a refresher." And the movement with the music (beginning and end), while unique, is pretty fast paced and can be a bit disorienting.

For practical reasons, now you have to dedicate 15-30 seconds for the montage at the end of the show, instead of possibly eating that time up for other stories and having just a quick goodbye on some nights.

For reasons based on TV geek-ery, we lose those nice affiliate shots, sweeping camera moves in the studio, and hearing the theme's closing cut without natural sound or someone talking in the background.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Also, I have noticed this week his read has been a lot more monotone, at least compared to when he was anchoring the weekend editions of CBSEN. He doesn't feel as animated or engaged this time around.

My goodness, I thought it was just me. I watched one broadcast and was blown away by how boring it was. It was incredibly awkward to watch...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...