CBS Evening News

24994J

That's interesting because the set was still there in the pictures I saw of Scott's goodbye party.

The rumor was that CBSN may move in there, which I think would be great. It's honestly the best cable news channel right now, and the rolling news hours could look a lot better than the current setup with only two camera angles and that Early Show throwaway desk.

I think Jake Tapper would be a good hire. I always thought that he should have gotten the "this week" job at ABC.

However I do wonder if Taper's tenure at CNN has damaged him somewhat because of his tendency to troll/call out the Trump administration.

Tapper has also called out the Obama admin in the same way in the past. There's a reason why he's respected on both sides of the aisle.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think a rotation of Anchors would be fine. Shake it up a bit like the National did (CBC I think??). Or try the two anchor format again since they are in CTM studio. What they need to do is, give the show a stand alone studio to because this one studio thing feels like they are poor and giving up. Plus it seems like they don't want Norah O'Donnell off CTM so they need to find a respectable person in that slot. They may never be number one again but they need something a little different and permanent.

• Like 1

Maybe. I read an article about 4 years ago that Ann Curry was furious with Andy Lack back in 1993 that he choose Brian Williams over her to anchor the Saturday Nightly News when the late Garrick Utley was pushed out. If Ann got the job she might have been anchor of NBC Nightly News right now.

Ann Curry?

*ducks*

At this point, they're better off having a set of rotating anchors ala 60 Minutes. You can't trust these bone-heads to make a good choice in selecting a replacement for Pelley.

I agree. There's no obvious internal choice, and an external choice would result in the same culture clash issues that happened during the Katie Couric era.

I say let people do it a few weeks at a time. Anthony Mason is always great, but why not let others do it too. I wondered if maybe they'd consider Norah O'Donnell and move up Margaret Brennan to CTM; she's been filling in a lot more.

• Like 4

What they need to do is, give the show a stand alone studio to because this one studio thing feels like they are poor and giving up.

Poor and givivg up? Really?

ABC's World News Tonight, World News Now, America This Moning, Good Morning America Weekend, Nightline AND 20/20 have shared the same space (and sets) for years, and no one said crap about them being poor. And funny thing, (almost) all of them are (in some ratings) #1!

Thing is, CBS could've built a new set for the Evening News, but chose not to because the CTM set has and does everything EN would need for its' presentation to emphasize it's preference of substance over style.

Just sayin'.

• Like 5

ABC's World News Tonight, World News Now, America This Moning, Good Morning America Weekend, Nightline AND 20/20 have shared the same space (and sets) for years, and no one said crap about them being poor. And funny thing, (almost) all of them are (in some ratings) #1!

Well if I'm being honest, I do not really care for GMA Weekend on ABC WNT set that much either however it's on the opposite side of the studio creating its own unique space. All I was saying is that I prefer they had a stand alone set but CBS and any other station going to do whatever they want and I can chose to watch or not.

Thing is, CBS could've built a new set for the Evening News, but chose not to because the CTM set has and does everything EN would need for its' presentation to emphasize it's preference of substance over style.

Just sayin'.

Andrew, CBS is poor and giving up. Look at the Weekend News. Also, when a big story hits, ABC and NBC on location. Where is CBS? In their shared studio.

Andrew, CBS is poor and giving up. Look at the Weekend News. Also, when a big story hits, ABC and NBC on location. Where is CBS? In their shared studio.

No, they're not. And that doesn't mean anything.

CBS also airs sports on the weekends that overrun or outright preempt the broadcast. (actually, all of them do at times) That's why they chose the news to be taped; what point is there to go live when you barely have time to produce few stories when the match ends? If there ever was breaking news, they would've broke in at any time (or else, just go online instead [they have a network there you know]).

Giving up would be cancelling the weekend news and let the sports play on until completion (which also makes money, not that that's a problem). Just because they just recently changed to a taped format and won't usually go in the field, doesn't mean they can't afford to do otherwise.

And speaking of shared studio, where is ABC when a special report is on the air? In THEIR shared studio? What's your point?

(...oh, and using my personal first name against me because i don't share an opinion with you (or whatever creepy reason) isn't gonna ruin me, bro.)

• 1 month later...

CBS is starting to promote The CBS Evening News with Jeff Glor. There have been commercials promoting it saying "CBS Evening News with Jeff Glor. Weeknights only on CBS." There is not a certain date for the premiere during the commercial

This is a comment out of left field, but I'll say it anyway.

I think the CBS Evening News is better off calling itself the "CBS Evening News" - if you know what I mean. Leave out the "with Jeff Glor" part. And just focus solely on the "CBS Evening News" part. Period. I think it's a stronger brand like that.

• Like 2

This is a comment out of left field, but I'll say it anyway.

I think the CBS Evening News is better off calling itself the "CBS Evening News" - if you know what I mean. Leave out the "with Jeff Glor" part. And just focus solely on the "CBS Evening News" part. Period. I think it's a stronger brand like that.

I guess you could call it the 'Australian option'! Obviously, the announcer would still say "with Jeff Glor" in the intro and local promos and that sort of thing. I'm just talking about the "real estate on the screen" idea - and a "less is more" philosophy. I don't know about the U.S. but here in Australia, McDonalds has just started to use this sort of approach - driving on the highways these days, most of the restaurants have removed the actual lettering "M-c-D-o-n-a-l-d-s" with the only signage now being those big "Golden arches".

• Like 2

Apparently they both shop at the same black t-shirt store too. Lol.

I don’t mind Jeff Glor, but I think CBS should’ve went in a different direction and found somebody else to anchor. I have a feeling the CBS Evening News will eventually become a carbon copy of ABC’s World News Tonight. I hope that doesn’t happen.

I too think the Evening News will become more WNT-like, however, it'll be difficult to fully pull it off mostly due to the fact that CBS's reporter base is so old compared to ABC. I'd find it hard to see someone like John Blackstone doing a minute long package with the phrases "fast moving", "dramatic" and "chaos" used, sometimes all in the same sentence.

• Like 1