CBS Evening News

24994J

If these CBS rumors are legitimate (consider the source), CBS has to have something up their sleeve in terms of luring somebody to the Broadcast Center because there isn't a de facto replacement in the mix. And frankly, I think Pelley has done a solid job and doesn't really need to be replaced.

• Like 5

If these CBS rumors are legitimate (consider the source), CBS has to have something up their sleeve in terms of luring somebody to the Broadcast Center because there isn't a de facto replacement in the mix. And frankly, I think Pelley has done a solid job and doesn't really need to be replaced.

Real simple...

The next anchor / presenter of Tthe CBS Evening News will be...

Somebody very, very, cheap....and very "promising".

I really think the days of the BigTV network anchor are just about over. CBS want to save major duckets...so you DON't go big on the anchor.

Correct me if i'm wrong...but isn't Pelly the lowest paid Net anchor anyway?

Real simple...

The next anchor / presenter of Tthe CBS Evening News will be...

Somebody very, very, cheap....and very "promising".

I really think the days of the BigTV network anchor are just about over. CBS want to save major duckets...so you DON't go big on the anchor.

Correct me if i'm wrong...but isn't Pelly the lowest paid Net anchor anyway?

People still watch the evening news, they get higher numbers then the network morning shows. I don't think that is the major issue, the issue is how being a network anchor is going to fit in during this age of cable news and partisanship. Network evening news will have to tweak and do different things, their jobs is to be the highest standard of news unlike cable. Network anchors are going to have reach out beyond their platform. CBS needs bigger platforms.

I also think demographics plays a part, CBS will need people of diversity. NBC is by no means a superior news division but they have mutiple platforms, which is how they are able to get talent. CBS will have to create multiple platforms for their news division

CBS could do a poach, but who can they bring in. I can't think of anybody on television who qualifies for CBS evening news.

Article mentioned Norah O'Donnell. I also read elsewhere that Jeff Glor is a possibility, and would bring a younger image (just as David Muir did at ABC) to the program.

I personally thought that Scott was always a bad fit for the program. As the article stated, he is too slow placed and always came across to me as boring as hell.

I also felt that John Dickerson was not the best choice for Face the Nation either.

CBS This Morning is one of few bright spots for the network and I feel they'd be dumb to mess with that team and the momentum they have going. I also like Jane Pauley on Sunday Morning, so that's another bright spot.

Jeff Glor is bland, a carrot got more personality them him. Glor is a leftover from the failed team at CBS Early Show. CBS overall has the strongest news division out the big three networks.

ABC has GMA and NBC has Nightly News

CBS has Sunday Morning, 60 Minutes and positive reviews with CBS This Morning.

Jeff Glor is bland; a carrot has more personality than him. Glor is a leftover from the failed team at The Early Show.

Actually Glor was a weekend anchor of the Evening News 2 years before the last remnant of The Early Show. He'd later go back to it after the former's cancellation for a few more years.

I know most news anchors have less personality than the hosts but he apparently had enough to stay with CBS all these years.

Actually Glor was a weekend anchor of the Evening News 2 years before the last remnant of The Early Show. He'd later go back to it after the former's cancellation for a few more years.

I know most news anchors have less personality than the hosts but he apparently had enough to stay with CBS all these years.

Jeff Glor is not a terrible anchor but for a weekday gig, he is not cut out for it. Glor is a a good sub guy, he is not a clown, he is all about business which is possibly a reason why he is still with CBS. Glor from the Early Show was the best one if you look at the last team. I am not trying to say you have to be a Mr Personality to become a evening news anchor, but people have to be familiar with you and your work to get the job. Even when CBS had Katie Couric it failed cause Katie Couric was not a "serious journalist". What has Glor done, to make people remember his work.

Jeff Glor is not a terrible anchor but for a weekday gig, he is not cut out for it. Glor is a a good sub guy, he is not a clown, he is all about business which is possibly a reason why he is still with CBS. Glor from the Early Show was the best one if you look at the last team. I am not trying to say you have to be a Mr Personality to become a evening news anchor, but people have to be familiar with you and your work to get the job. Even when CBS had Katie Couric it failed cause Katie Couric was not a "serious journalist". What has Glor done, to make people remember his work.

Okay...

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing exposes the shortcomings of the pre-recorded CBS Weekend News more than its inability to report on breaking news, such as the death of George Michael. The local ABC affiliate is, of course, airing NBA basketball, and the local NBC station is airing a pre-recorded "news special" featuring "heartwarming stories" in place of its regular newscast. Yes, there are other sources for news, but that's precisely the point. If you're not even trying to compete, why bother?

• Like 2

Nothing exposes the shortcomings of the pre-recorded CBS Weekend News more than its inability to report on breaking news, such as the death of George Michael. The local ABC affiliate is, of course, airing NBA basketball, and the local NBC station is airing a pre-recorded "news special" featuring "heartwarming stories" in place of its regular newscast. Yes, there are other sources for news, but that's precisely the point. If you're not even trying to compete, why bother?

You're complaining that CBS didn't cover a breaker when its two competitors weren't even running news on one of the lowest staffed and least watched news days of the year?

• Like 1

You're complaining that CBS didn't cover a breaker when its two competitors weren't even running news on one of the lowest staffed and least watched news days of the year?

Regardless of other stations' programming choices, CBS had a golden opportunity to own a breaking news story (at least on broadcast TV) but they dropped the ball. The local CBS affiliate covered the story (and had two reporters on duty covering local news stories) at 6:30. Not sure what WHDH did at 6P, but they led their 10PM newscast on WLVI with extended coverage.

• Like 1

Regardless of other stations' programming choices, CBS had a golden opportunity to own a breaking news story (at least on broadcast TV) but they dropped the ball. The local CBS affiliate covered the story (and had two reporters on duty covering local news stories) at 6:30. Not sure what WHDH did at 6P, but they led their 10PM newscast on WLVI with extended coverage.

By nature it's not really a local story,.

And it's only a story about a dead star at that point...no hint of foul play, no traumatic death...no extended sickness (deathwatch) and certainly no pre-produced obit package ready to run.

Very few details available even 24 hours after the fact. It's not a 'cut-in' item by any means.

Not really much to "own" in this story as of yet.

It's still only a 40sec vosot or a re-tracked reporter package with some pretty music clips and sobbing fans.

Plus....+++++

It's a holiday weekend again...didn't we just go through this with another star like Muhammad Ali or someone else?

There is a picked over catered ham answering the phones in NYC Newsrooms nowadays...

Here is a little lesson...

Don't die on holiday weekends when all the newsrooms are dark. It's best to die during the week before 2pm pacific time so you can make it on the entertainment shows.

• Like 5

It was on Nightly News on Sunday around five minutes into the broadcast.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
So now here's the $1,000,000 question... Who will take over?

First you have to prove you have the $1,000.000 because the last time I played this game (and won) I NEVER got my million dollars.

Show me the money first because my guess is Lara Logan...unless you don't really have the million...then my guess would be Lara Spencer.

• 4 weeks later...
Jake Tapper has told many insiders he would want that job.

I think Jake Tapper would be a good hire. I always thought that he should have gotten the "this week" job at ABC.

However I do wonder if Taper's tenure at CNN has damaged him somewhat because of his tendency to troll/call out the Trump administration.

• Like 1

Looks like David Rhodes is Regretting removing Scott Pelley from the Evening News chair. More of a clear sign it could be Anderson Cooper taking over. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...nsition-didnt-go-smoothly-hurt-morale-1017868

Thanks for sharing. That's certainly an interesting article, though I don't see anything in it that shows a "clear sign" that Anderson Cooper would take it over. All it shows is that CBS (specifically David Rhodes) is admitting they fumbled this whole thing without any clear plan for who would succeed Scott.

With that said, I would be shocked if CBS went with an outside hire. If getting rid of Scott already hurt morale, then it would be even more demoralizing if everyone from the inside were passed up for an outsider. That did not go as planned for them last time, and all it would do is confuse viewers. Sure, Anderson may not completely be an outsider given his 60 Minutes role, but if you asked most people who watch television, they would probably most identify him as being the face of CNN. I doubt many people are very aware of his 60 Minutes role, including those who watch CBS Monday through Friday.

CBS has a deep bench, but no obvious starter.

• Like 1

Norah, Maurice DuBois and Anderson are all serious possibilities I think tho my guess is it will go to Norah.

Thanks for sharing. That's certainly an interesting article, though I don't see anything in it that shows a "clear sign" that Anderson Cooper would take it over. All it shows is that CBS (specifically David Rhodes) is admitting they fumbled this whole thing without any clear plan for who would succeed Scott.

With that said, I would be shocked if CBS went with an outside hire. If getting rid of Scott already hurt morale, then it would be even more demoralizing if everyone from the inside were passed up for an outsider. That did not go as planned for them last time, and all it would do is confuse viewers. Sure, Anderson may not completely be an outsider given his 60 Minutes role, but if you asked most people who watch television, they would probably most identify him as being the face of CNN. I doubt many people are very aware of his 60 Minutes role, including those who watch CBS Monday through Friday.

CBS has a deep bench, but no obvious starter.

• 1 month later...

While looking for WCBS-related set progress pics, I saw a picture which shows how Studio 47 has been dismantled:

Before:

k3jbJiK.jpg

After:

[MEDIA=instagram]BXk18mZleGg[/MEDIA]

I wonder if they'll expand the newsroom, or add a new studio? It'd be nice for CBSN to work with a more traditional studio.