CBS Evening News

24994J

I was surprised to find that there isn't a general thread for the CBS Evening News. Yes, I know we've all been encouraged to cut back on broad-topic discussions, but the other network newscasts have their own threads, and I didn't think this tidbit warranted it's own dedicated thread and didn't fit into an existing topic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, Jane Pauley's going to be anchoring the broadcast tonight, her first since joining the network as a contributor last year.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/jane-pauley-to-anchor-cbs-evening-news/268530

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
The CBS Evening News beat ABC WNT on Friday with all the day's breaking news.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-nov-9-2/277690

I remember CBS News winning the ratings for last November`s midterm coverage as well.

Even more telling, ABC News placed third with their coverage. I believe ABC News` editorial decision to "lighten" up their newscasts on a day-to-day basis has resulted in viewers turning to the other networks (especially CBS) when big news breaks. The reason being, viewers are left with the idea that ABC News won't cover big news events as in-depth as the other two channels. CBS News is capitalizing on this trend with their more serious tone - hence, the major ratings improvement for them on Friday night.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Gotta say I'm really disappointed that the CBS Evening News was not on location either in Cuba or in Belgium. You've been mired in third place for a gazillion years, you have the most boring anchor ever, and you don't want to ever leave the studio, which is the least eye appealing of the Big Three. Shame on them! They're lucky Fox (broadcast network) has not entered the race, otherwise they'd be in fourth place!!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cbs-news-cuts-jobs-as-weekend-newscasts-targeted-for-change/289333

April Fools? Article is dated yesterday. If not I don't think the weekend CBS Evening News would be missed. Stations would like the extra local ad time and sometimes it isn't even seen because of sports. I also think CBS This Morning Saturday should be cut to an hour. That would allow more flexibility for local news on the weekends. For example That 7am hour of E/I on Sunday mornings could instead air at 9am Saturday's on WBTV, freeing up the Sunday 7am hour for a local newscast.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is quite the honor to have just joined a network's digital news side and be tapped to fill in for their flagship evening news broadcast.

When he was at ABC, he filled in once for Diane Sawyer. Wasn't too polished at the time for an evening news broadcast. Didn't catch him on CBS tonight but hope it went well.

• 3 weeks later...

Beginning to wonder if the "CBS Overnight News" needs overhaul already. With what happened last week in Dallas, NO mention of it at all that I can recall, whereas World News Now covered it live(Nightline wasn't much better, to be fair). I know they covered it on CBS Morning News, but one would think they'd have the anchor for that show at least record some kind of update, or hell even simulcast CBS-N.

Beginning to wonder if the "CBS Overnight News" needs overhaul already. With what happened last week in Dallas, NO mention of it at all that I can recall, whereas World News Now covered it live(Nightline wasn't much better, to be fair). I know they covered it on CBS Morning News, but one would think they'd have the anchor for that show at least record some kind of update, or hell even simulcast CBS-N.

The whole concept of recycling CBS Evening News content from the previous night is ridiculous. If this is the best they can do they should simply turn it over to the affiliates.

• Like 2

The whole concept of recycling CBS Evening News content from the previous night is ridiculous. If this is the best they can do they should simply turn it over to the affiliates.
I've seen them do better than that. If they have updates to last night's content, I'm fine with that, but repeated content with no updates, there's the exact problem you just mentioned, which by the way, I completely agree with you on that. If they're going to keep going, they can't just recycle the same content from last night, or else they might as well hand it over to the affiliates for the 5:30 pm local news (or 6:30 pm in the Colonial Time Zone, which is my name for the Eastern Time Zone) much like Fox does with its affiliates
  • Like 1

I've seen them do better than that. If they have updates to last night's content, I'm fine with that, but repeated content with no updates, there's the exact problem you just mentioned, which by the way, I completely agree with you on that. If they're going to keep going, they can't just recycle the same content from last night, or else they might as well hand it over to the affiliates for the 5:30 pm local news (or 6:30 pm in the Colonial Time Zone, which is my name for the Eastern Time Zone) much like Fox does with its affiliates

But that's all TV news is now...

Recycled crap from the day before.

10% might be new...but the rest is all folo-ups, wx, sports(old), and out of market bs.

The network is supposed to toss to who????

The already budget stripped locals???

We saw how that worked in Baton Rouge today right???

• Like 1

Hell, if push comes to shove and they don't have anyone in New York or LA to do an overnight break in (we see how ill-prepared CBS was for Muhammad Ali's death, having KCBS' Paul Magers anchor an impromptu special report)... is there anyone in the London bureau overnight?

How is that being "ill-prepared" if it is part of the plan?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Does anyone think that The CBS Evening News will be getting a new set soon? The show was on the CBS This Morning set all last week and Scott Pelley is doing a special report now on the CBS This Morning set.

It's needed. Outside of the many tweeks that have been made to the studio, the basic elements including the main desk had remained relatively unchanged since the Katie Couric era of the program.

• Like 1