Site Downtime This Weekend

This weekend, the site may go offline a couple of times from anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. The window for these outages will begin late Friday night and run through Monday morning.

Bear with us. We promise the outages will be worth it.

Hmm, I thought it was going to be the people at the grand One TVNEWSTALK Plaza taking a glorious three day weekend to relax and recharge the batteries. Whatever changes are made, I will be glad to see them as shockingly this version of the site will now be a decade old starting at the end of next year.

Hopefully all works well and it will be quick.

I know I privately suggested the ability to embed tweets but now I'm wondering if there's a mod where we can embed Instagram posts.

The upgrades were attempted, however, there were some technical issues that cropped up during it, and the whole operation was aborted.

It will be re-attempted next weekend during the same window.

The upgrades were attempted, however, there were some technical issues that cropped up during it, and the whole operation was aborted.

It will be re-attempted next weekend during the same window.

I was logged in a half hour ago and it showed that I had five alerts. But now back in the old system there are none. I take it as a bug in the new software.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to write a quick update regarding this...

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot a problem with the web server that's causing URL rewrites (kinda like a redirect) to fail. This is an issue because the new software uses a different URL scheme than the current one. This means that if we switched to the new software right now, any TVNT thread/post/etc URL posted elsewhere online would stop working, along with search results. I do not have a lot of free time during the week to spend diagnosing this issue, so I really only have time to sit down and look at it on the weekends.

With any luck, I will figure it out this weekend. We'll see...

After many hours of work, the rewrites are now working correctly and the changeover can proceed. Unfortunately, the next time I'll have a large block of time to conduct said changeover is next weekend.

My goal is to cut over next Sunday (08/23) morning, so the Sunday afternoon crowd can test it out before our traffic spikes again during the week.

Archived