MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

MSNBC is making some changes to its streaming service, The MSNBC Hub on Peacock. Effective September 15th, Zerlina Maxwell and Ayman Mohyeldin will no longer be hosting shows on the streaming service, Zerlina has been offered an "analyst" role and Ayman will continue to host his show on the weekends. This is the first time MSNBC has canceled a show on its relatively new streaming service. 

Speaking of weekends... MSNBC is seeing some of the worst weekend ratings since 1998, this started last year and it isn't getting better. Makes me wonder if a bigger change could be coming to the weekends. Go back several pages on this forum and you'll see how much weekends have changed in recent years.

Seems like more opinion & less news isn't working out that well and maybe Kendis Gibson, David Gura, Thomas Roberts & Kasie Hunt (honorable mention of Jacob Soboroff & Richard Lui) weren't as replaceable as the network thought they were.....

More details on the changes here: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/msnbc-ends-peacock-shows-hosted-by-zerlina-maxwell-and-ayman-mohyeldin/512379/

Edited by jrogo
added a link to the news article incase anyone wants it.
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, jrogo said:

MSNBC is making some changes to its streaming service, The MSNBC Hub on Peacock. Effective September 15th, Zerlina Maxwell and Ayman Mohyeldin will no longer be hosting shows on the streaming service, Zerlina has been offered an "analyst" role and Ayman will continue to host his show on the weekends. This is the first time MSNBC has canceled a show on its relatively new streaming service. 

Speaking of weekends... MSNBC is seeing some of the worst weekend ratings since 1998, this started last year and it isn't getting better. Makes me wonder if a bigger change could be coming to the weekends. Go back several pages on this forum and you'll see how much weekends have changed in recent years.

Seems like more opinion & less news isn't working out that well and maybe Kendis Gibson, David Gura, Thomas Roberts & Kasie Hunt (honorable mention of Jacob Soboroff & Richard Lui) weren't as replaceable as the network thought they were.....

More details on the changes here: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/msnbc-ends-peacock-shows-hosted-by-zerlina-maxwell-and-ayman-mohyeldin/512379/

Maybe they'll revive Lockup and turn it back into crime shows on weekends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrogo said:

Should've stuck with more news, less opinion, but no. They decided to go the opposite way and guess what? Its now costed them ratings BIG time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrogo said:

Speaking of Kendis - he seems to have gone MIA in MIA...

On 8/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

Should've stuck with more news, less opinion, but no. They decided to go the opposite way and guess what? Its now costed them ratings BIG time.

Didn't MSNBC see ratings imporvement in 2015 when Andy Lack lessened the opinionated programming and ran with more (albeit biased) news. Seems backward that they would move in the opposite direction.

I guess they're trying to be the leftist answer to Fox News but it hasn't worked for them when they stray too far off from news. I loved the olden days when Alex Witt took up like 5 hours on wekends with "MSNBC News Live". Back when they were partnered with msn. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Cross Connection didn’t get good numbers anyways, seems like a great opportunity to shake up the entire weekend schedule which is posting horrible viewer numbers. 

Crazy to think Tiffany & Johnathan inherited Joy Reid’s former time slot and viewers of 1 Million+ and now the same slot has 500,000. Clearly it’s not working. 

Edited by jrogo
corrected average viewership number

8 hours ago, jrogo said:

The Cross Connection didn’t get good numbers anyways, seems like a great opportunity to shake up the entire weekend schedule which is posting horrible viewer numbers. 

Crazy to think Tiffany & Johnathan inherited Joy Reid’s former time slot and viewers of 1 Million+ and now the same slot has 300,000. Clearly it’s not working. 

What is Jonathan’s numbers? I thought he was doing better then Tiffany. They should just add an additional hour of Ali velshi and then make the Sunday Show with Jonathan the “weekend show” or something. Maybe add another msnbc reports hour for Lindsey reisner or so

On 11/4/2022 at 9:27 PM, Drew said:

What is Jonathan’s numbers? I thought he was doing better then Tiffany. They should just add an additional hour of Ali velshi and then make the Sunday Show with Jonathan the “weekend show” or something. Maybe add another msnbc reports hour for Lindsey reisner or so

Just realized I typed a 3 instead of a 5. They both average around 500,000 - 560,000. For comparison CNN does 600,000 - 650,000 for the same slot both days and Fox does 1.4 +/- M (sat)  & 1.7M +/-  (sun). Either way MSNBC is in last, at this point I have no faith in them adding any news, they've passed up several opportunities to do so. I'm sure they'll have an opinion host announced by the end of the year. 

I'd love to see David Gura come back, "UP" was very popular before they placed Ali Velshi in his spot. 

I've corrected my mistake in the initial post. 

• • • • • • •

MSNBC has a nice new desk for its election coverage. Seems to be a digital display in the front, hopefully they can change out the flag/stars and use it for normal programs. 

They are also using update election lower thirds, clearly inspired by NBC News NOW’s graphics, and I actually like them, very simple and clean, just imagine how good they’d look without the election info below it, make a few tweaks regarding the time and live (which is awkwardly placed) and they’d be very nice L3’s.

ACB8D2CA-22CB-4A46-8355-B165C24500E3.jpeg

997ACD39-FB55-4936-84C6-1D68B78C8F3F.jpeg

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is Jose Diaz Ballart Reports gone? He's not been on in the New Year. Katy Turr is on during his hour this morning (1/5) under the generic banner MSNBC REPORTS. She didn't say she's sitting in for him. (BTW, would love to see Katy in this hour permanently!)

A programing shake up at MSNBC:

Weekday changes: 

José is leaving 10AM and moving to 11AM, Chris expands to 2 hours, Katy moves to 3PM and Hallie leaves to focus on NBC News Now, the open 10AM hour is expected to be given to Ana Cabrera who is joining MSNBC. 

10AM: MSNBC Reports (rotating anchor)
11AM: José Díaz-Balart Reports 
12N: Andrea Mitchell Reports
1PM: Chris Jansing Reports
3PM: Katy Tur Reports

Weekday changes begin Monday, February 13.

Weekends are also getting a shake up: 

Live programs now being a hour later with Katy Phang at 8AM (moving from the 7AM hour), Johnathan now gets both days but only 1 hour, and Ali moves to a new spot. 

8AM: Katy Phang

9AM: Johnathan Capeheart

10AM: Ali Velshi 

Weekend changes begin Saturday, February 18.

I’m happy to see consolidation of dayside hours but unclear as to why Andrea still has an hour, could’ve really cut costs by going to three 2 hours shows with 1 anchor. Weekends now have even less news, I’m hoping they put Saturday/Sunday Today at 7AM, to at least have an offering. 

Full email from Rashida Jones here: 

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/msnbc-announces-dayside-programming-changes/522058/

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

And her show needs to take an hour away from Alex Witt why? Oh because MSNBC doesn’t want to do News anymore. Good for Jen but what a kick in the face to Alex. There will now be just 3 hours of news on Sunday, the other 11 hours of live programing will be opinion. 

How will Jen’s show be different from any of the others? Weekends are already the same small group of commentators and same topics just with a different face. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some awkward days lie ahead for MSNBC, Senator Bob Menendez has been indicted by the U.S Department of Justice on serious charges, the senators daughter is MSNBC Host Alicia Menendez, her show, American Vocies airs weekends at 6PM ET.  The big question is how will MSNBC handle this story while employing his daughter, will she comment on it or not, we all remember the Cuomo nightmare at CNN less than 2 years ago. The following article makes a few good points regarding the media landscape and how these types of things have been handled in the past;  https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/how-will-msnbc-handle-its-menendez-family-conflict-of-interest/amp/

IMO, Alicia should be off this weekend, I would not allow her to host her show, either someone can fill in or it can be a special edition of MSNBC Reports. The network has not done a good job of disclosing the conflict they find themselves in, every single anchor/host should be saying something along the lines of; “in the interest of transparency we need to tell you that Senator Menendez is the father of our colleague, MSNBC host Alicia Menendez.” 

MSNBC & NBCU talk a big game about being better than orgs like CNN & FOX, so they should prove it and take this seriously. It doesn’t matter that she’s (as far as we know) innocent and un-indicted, she needs to be put on a short leash or they will have the Cuomo situation on their hands. 

also if you want an insight into the work politics at MSNBC just look at the different statements from the hosts/anchors, some ranging from demanding the senators resignation and others supporting him, always fun to see it in the open. 

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 1