MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

Their existing progressive viewer base? The one that has them in third place? Big whoop. I for one like the direction MSNBC is headed in.

But led in the 25-54 demos at their peak. Fox always has catered to the 65-dead demos.

Phil Griffin is guilty of trying to parlay the liberal primetime opinion programming into all dayparts outside of Morning Joe, which was a colossal waste. (And even then, Morning Joe is still highly overrated IMO.)

It still doesn't justify hiring a one-note Republican shill in Hugh Hewitt.

If that truly is the case and MSNBC is considering a format change and a move away from progressive politics, then I guess their end goal is to be "The Fox News that you won't feel guilty about watching and supporting."

Isn't that CNN now? Oh wait, CNN is trying to be "All First Take, All The Goddam Time..."

• Like 2

Isn't that CNN now? Oh wait, CNN is trying to be "All First Take, All The Goddam Time..."

Itnteresting article about the changes Andy Lack has made at MSNBC and some of the detrimental effects. Some include decrease in ratings in show changes made the Lack of diversity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/andy-lack-msnbc-donald-trump_us_5907422de4b0bb2d086fb7a8?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

For what it's worth, while MSNBC's ratings may "lag" behind that of CNN US, it is probably because they don't openly air 24 hours of Political WWE matches. Every hour on CNN is a 4x4 screen of "CNN Political Commentators" (aka paid lackeys) shouting over each other. In addition, they seem to have picked the most extreme of the pundits they could find, on both sides. MSNBC, on the other hand seems more nuanced and academic during their panel discussions, as they tend to source in other journalists and opinion writers for their analysis instead of former two-term politicians and campaign chairmen.

CNN seems to be looking for the ratings grab at any cost ("The idea that politics is sport is undeniable, and we understood that and approached it that way"), which is what you get when you hire a Network TV executive whose network success thrived on reality television to run your news channel.

• Like 5

It appears as though Mike Viqueira has joined Kristen Welker on the MS/NBC News congressional beat, a return to the network from his brief stint at AJAm. He's been appearing all week as the "NBC Capitol Hill correspondent." Kelly O'Donnell, who was originally slated to be MSNBC's lead Capitol Hill reporter has essentially taken over Chris Jansing's old duties at the WH.

• Like 4

The story everyone knew:

Mika and Joe are sharing more than just coffee in the AM (they're engaged), as confirmed by MSNBC.

I don't see the show lasting too much longer -- dynamically speaking, the show has always supposed to have a vibe of opposition between Mika and Joe, but with an impending marriage, that's clearly changing.

• Like 1

I know it's not really my business what people do in their private lives, but I can't help but think how weird this whole thing is.

I would hope that they would eventually come up with a backup plan if things do go bad. You'd hate to run into a Brent Cannon and Laura Garcia-Cannon situation like what happened at KNTV.

I know it's not really my business what people do in their private lives, but I can't help but think how weird this whole thing is.

I would hope that they would eventually come up with a backup plan if things do go bad. You'd hate to run into a Brent Cannon and Laura Garcia-Cannon situation like what happened at KNTV.

I think they could easily be replaced. It's essentially the same show as Imus was minus the racist remarks and radio games.

• Like 5

what happened at KNTV ?

what happened at KNTV ?

Brent Cannon and Laura Garcia-Cannon were a husband wife anchor duo on KNTV's morning show for about a decade before they went through what sounds like a pretty messy divorce. He was taken off the show and reassigned to an off-air role before he left the station; she's still on the air, which makes it awkward for anyone who remembers that they anchored together (her name is still hyphenated after all). I don't really have any connections to KNTV, so I don't know the whole backstory, but I can only imagine what a mess that whole thing was to work through for everyone on that show, let alone the station.

Obviously this is a much smaller deal than Joe and Mika. KNTV's morning show has always been pretty sleepy and has never amounted to too much, but there was some aww-shucks viewer appeal that they were married. In both cases, it's arguably the same dynamic with working with someone side by side 40 hours a week, living together, raising a family, not to mention the same employer, and a higher potential for things to go bad (in my opinion) than if you had two anchors not married to, or seeing, each other.

• Like 4

I think they could easily be replaced. It's essentially the same show as Imus was minus the racist remarks and radio games.

The only way it was an upgrade is that you can understand what they are saying. Imus has been inaudible since 1997 or so.

Or Doug Adair and Mona Scott at WCMH.

• Like 6

Joe was not in the studio today but rather remote. I think he has one of those insert studios at his house.

Anyway I missed most of the show however I did catch the end. Mika was gesticulating with her left hand and said "a lot happened this week. I got a fondue maker".

lol

is it wrong that i think this tweet is funny as AF and supposed he and Jared offered to officiate their wedding but she said no

[MEDIA=twitter]767685048703279104[/MEDIA]

Nope, I find it hilarious as well. Dude is the president, who could literally do ANYTHING he wants...and he wakes up at 7 am to tweet. I can barely get myself out of bed before 9am...and probably don't start social media until at least noon.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Mika and Joe! I've always kind of wanted to watch Morning Joe. It seems lIke a good show, but it has too much politics. I only have 10 minutes to sit down and watch TV in the morning. So, I don't have time for political discussions. I watch HLN.