MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

Bringing Chuck Todd back for 5PM is a good move; they desperately need more hard-news credibility over there. 3-5PM could be Brian Williams? I didn't think they would keep him around just to be a breaking news anchor... what would he do all day? It looks like they're going to have him do a daily afternoon show, and anchor breaking news coverage when necessary, which is essentially taking a page out of FNC's book. But will BriWi really be able to rival Shep and his spaceship?

Why Sharpton will still have a show is a mystery to me. The ratings are almost as abysmal as Ed's, not to mention the conflicts of interest/ethical issues. I imagine he (and Chris Hayes) will be the next to go, because Concha hinted that the 6 and 8PM ET hours are due for a shakeup as well. There have been rumors that soon-to-be former ESPN employee Keith Olbermann might be in talks with MSNBC.... Lord help us.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbc-rumor-alert-olbermann-coming-back-several-shows-getting-slashed/

My first mistake was reading the comments. Why did I read the comments?

Once self-dubbed The Place for Politics, MSNBC goes back to its 1996 roots: More news, less talk.

I hope this is as true as what the sentence implies. msnbc doing more straight, hard news is a very exciting idea. However I don't think having Brian Williams anchor for two hours is a good idea at all. msnbc has enough credibility issues the way it is, the last thing they need is the man who was removed from the highest rated evening newscast in the country due to lying and falsifications in his reporting anchoring the news again regularly. Viewers will have a very hard time believing anything he says.

Either way, these changes are very very much needed for the network, the question is whether or not they'll actually work. Seems that Rachel Maddow and Joe and Mika are untouchable though.

I read this article from the NY Daily News that MSNBC news chief Andrew Lack is contemplating a name change. http://nydn.us/1GHp8wU

This is a great idea.

When the change-up comes in, the name should be a major part, especially since Microsoft isn't half-owner of the network anymore and their to-be-former left-leaning image is waning hard. I suggest...shfit, like their digital online network. Because something like NBC News Network is more than a stretch for more than one obvious reason. And thinking of a name to create for this network is hard.

Thoughts?

I read this article from the NY Daily News that MSNBC news chief Andrew Lack is contemplating a name change. http://nydn.us/1GHp8wU

This is a great idea.

When the change-up comes in, the name should be a major part, especially since Microsoft isn't half-owner of the network anymore and their to-be-former left-leaning image is waning hard. I suggest...shfit, like their digital online network. Because something like NBC News Network is more than a stretch for more than one obvious reason. And thinking of a name to create for this network is hard.

Thoughts?

Maybe NBC Shift- you gotta have the Peacock in there, no exceptions. Maybe they could appropriate the NBC News Channel's name from the affiliate feed service, which could be renamed.

This is a great idea.

Thoughts?

TPC

The Prison Channel

This is a great idea.

Thoughts?

But what would you change the name to? It also sounds like, from the article, that the staffers there didn't like the idea. NBCNC (NBC News Cable)?

My idea NBCNow your breaking news headquarters

They also should hire more republican people that would boost thier ratings at least I think?

Not a bad name.

Meh, I disagree. If they're trying to take a more serious, hard news approach to their product, hiring more Republicans wouldn't help that. They'd also probably be seen as trying to become Fox News 2.0.

I'd expand on that and offer up "NBC NEWS NOW." It may look like a lot in print, but takes just as long to say as msnbc. It can be called "NEWS NOW" for short.

The more and more I think about it, though, the more my idea for a name change becomes cliché. Another downside is that the channel won't be news all day, as there will be editorial programs in the evening.

I did, for fun on a Saturday morning, come up with some awfully edited logos, but I don't know how to upload photos on here.

They also should hire more republican people that would boost thier ratings at least I think? But it will take time to improve their ratings

It's available...buy the domain now!

Why Sharpton will still have a show is a mystery to me. The ratings are almost as abysmal as Ed's, not to mention the conflicts of interest/ethical issues.

He also has a voice fit for print.

TPC

The Prison Channel

Zing!

(The prison documentaries also need to go.)

(The prison documentaries also need to go.)

They're the highest rating thing on msnbc aren't they? They won't be going anywhere. More people watch msnbc on the weekends when they aren't airing news compared to the weekdays when they actually are. That must sting.

They're the highest rating thing on msnbc aren't they? They won't be going anywhere. More people watch msnbc on the weekends when they aren't airing news compared to the weekdays when they actually are. That must sting.

I must admit I am one of those people. But I switch to SPIKE TV at 8pm on Saturday... to get my fix from COPS.

It really does sting when the popularity msnbc gets on a weekly basis is put with the shows where bad people get incarcerated rather than the shows reporting the news about people (bad or good) getting incarcerated, if there is that. Shame.

But yeah it's true that those prison shows get more ratings than the weekday shows on the network. What other reason to explain that they get marathons on major holidays? (other than the fact that almost everyone is on vacation, of course...)

I'd expand on that and offer up "NBC NEWS NOW." It may look like a lot in print, but takes just as long to say as msnbc. It can be called "NEWS NOW" for short.

The more and more I think about it, though, the more my idea for a name change becomes cliché. Another downside is that the channel won't be news all day, as there will be editorial programs in the evening.

I did, for fun on a Saturday morning, come up with some awfully edited logos, but I don't know how to upload photos on here.

I like "NBC Now" for the very reason that Mannym13 pointed out; although they're slimming down on the editorial programs, they're not eliminating them entirely, and they probably wouldn't want to link the NBC News banner that tightly to the network for that reason. NBC Now, however, suggests "current" which could include news, but also current affairs editorial programs.

My mock schedule on weekdays:

4:00-5:00 AM: NBC News - Early Today

5:00-5:30 AM: First Look

5:30-6:00 AM: Way Too Early

6:00-9:00 AM: Morning Joe

9:00 AM-12:00 PM: MSNBC LIVE

12:00-1:00 PM: Andrea Mitchell Reports

1:00-5:00 PM: MSNBC LIVE

5:00-6:00 PM: Chuck Todd's un-named show

6:00-7:00 PM: MSNBC LIVE

7:00-8:00 PM: Hardball with Chris Matthews

8:00-9:00 PM: MSNBC LIVE or The News with Brian Williams

9:00-10:00 PM: The Rachel Maddow Show

10:00 PM-12:00 AM: MSNBC LIVE

12:00-1:00 AM: The Rachel Maddow Show (repeat)

1:00-3:00 AM: MSNBC LIVE (10 and 11pm hours repeat)

3:00-4:00 AM: Hardball with Chris Matthews (repeat)

Early Today replaces the Rachel Maddow repeat at 4am

First Look and Way Too Early remains the same.

Morning Joe remains the same.

MSNBC LIVE from 9am-12pm replaces The Rundown (Jose Diaz-Balart should focus on Noticiero Telemundo instead) and NewsNation (Tamron Hall should just stick to doing Today).

Andrew Mitchell Reports remain as is.

MSNBC LIVE from 1-3pm remains as is with Thomas Roberts.

MSNBC LIVE from 3-5pm replaces the canceled "The Cycle" and "NOW with Alex Wagner" and would be anchored by exile anchor Brian Williams.

Chuck Todd's show takes over the 5pm slot from "The Ed Show."

MSNBC LIVE at 6pm resumes with another anchor and replaces the stupid Al Sharpton, PoliticsNation show (why is he still on MSNBC? He's un-trusted and doesn't even pay his taxes).

7pm is still the timeslot to do some "Hardball with Chris Matthews."

Get out Chris Hayes, because at 8pm... "The News with Brian Williams" makes a return.

You're lucky Rachel Maddow that your show remains at 9pm.

MSNBC LIVE from 10pm-12am replaces "The Last Word" and Rachel Maddow repeat from Mondays-Thursdays and "Lockup" on Fridays.

The repeat for Rachel Maddow remains at 12am.

The 10 and 11pm hours of MSNBC LIVE repeat from 1-3am, replacing The Last Word and All In.

Hardball repeats from 3-4am, an hour later than what MSNBC currently shows at 2am.

My point... more news, throughout the day AND night.