MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

36 minutes ago, jrogo said:

Some awkward days lie ahead for MSNBC, Senator Bob Menendez has been indicted by the U.S Department of Justice on serious charges, the senators daughter is MSNBC Host Alicia Menendez, her show, American Vocies airs weekends at 6PM ET.  The big question is how will MSNBC handle this story while employing his daughter, will she comment on it or not, we all remember the Cuomo nightmare at CNN less than 2 years ago. The following article makes a few good points regarding the media landscape and how these types of things have been handled in the past;  https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/how-will-msnbc-handle-its-menendez-family-conflict-of-interest/amp/

IMO, Alicia should be off this weekend, I would not allow her to host her show, either someone can fill in or it can be a special edition of MSNBC Reports. The network has not done a good job of disclosing the conflict they find themselves in, every single anchor/host should be saying something along the lines of; “in the interest of transparency we need to tell you that Senator Menendez is the father of our colleague, MSNBC host Alicia Menendez.” 

MSNBC & NBCU talk a big game about being better than orgs like CNN & FOX, so they should prove it and take this seriously. It doesn’t matter that she’s (as far as we know) innocent and un-indicted, she needs to be put on a short leash or they will have the Cuomo situation on their hands. 

also if you want an insight into the work politics at MSNBC just look at the different statements from the hosts/anchors, some ranging from demanding the senators resignation and others supporting him, always fun to see it in the open. 

I am curious to see how MSNBC handles this as well.  They go out of their way to remind the viewers that their parent company is part of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers’s (AMPTP) whenever they cover the Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike but so far have not mentioned the family connection to Alicia.  There will be tough times ahead for Alicia and her brother Rep. Menendez (NJ-8) as they support their parents throughout this challenge while maintaining their professional roles.  As long as Alicia doesn't cross the line like Chris Cuomo did and respects the journalistic boundaries that are required she will be fine - but I can only imagine how tough it will be as they are her parents. 

• Like 1

It makes sense to sideline Alicia for a period of time. Other than in reference to her show’s absence I don’t think it’s necessary for them to report on anything beyond the facts of the case. Alicia isn’t implicated in any of the legal charges against her father.

• Like 3

I don't think it's necessary for MSNBC's anchors and reporters to mention the fact that one of their colleagues is related to a figure in the news for corruption. But I think it would be necessary for her to mention that at the top of her show as a reason why she is not covering one of the week's big stories.

I think it's unfair to punish or sideline Alicia for her father's troubles, but perhaps it would be good to have her skip this weekend.

• Like 5

Not all situations are comparable. Chris Cuomo crossed a huge ethical line. That doesn’t mean every other person related to a public figure in hot water is going to cross a line. Keep her off covering that story, fine. If there is evidence she crosses a line, do what needs to be done. Don’t assume a problem where one is not indicated and stymie her career for something she did not do. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Medhi Hasan's weekend show will end, some other weekend shows will shift to other timeslots, and a new three-hour weekend show - known as The Weekend (phew) -- will debut. All these moves take place on January 13.

https://tvline.com/news/mehdi-hasan-show-cancelled-ending-msnbc-weekend-schedule-1235091027/

Edited by Action Newsroom

Another weekend shake up, literally too much to list, so find it all here: https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/msnbc-makes-significant-changes-to-weekend-lineup-launches-ensemble-show/542518/

Im still not sure why they can’t begin live programing before 8AM? Would’ve been easy to make the new morning show start at 7. We’re also losing an hour of programming as Ayman will end at 9PM now. Good to see Alex getting 3 hours again, but sad to see Yasmin leaving weekends. The “best of” seems like a cheap filler until they find something permanent for the 4PM hour. 

IMG_6510.jpeg

Edited by jrogo

Best of msnbc prime should be after Ayman and switch in and out with specials. 

I agree they should have a morning newscast at 7am. Is Lindsey resier just a correspondent/fill in anchor now? 

The majority of "Morning Joe" weekdays on MSNBC deals with news stories that are making headlines within hours of the live broadcast of that program.  By the time of the highlights' weekend program, which I have caught moments of over the past few weeks, it does not feel as timely to me at all.

Edited by CraigViewer

MSNBC has officially switched its logo over to the new NBC typeface, which kind of looks like the old one, and of course certain feathers of the peacock disappear depending on the background color. 

I hate to post a picture taken from a tv but that’s a good as it’s gonna get for now. 

IMG_6558.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 12:46 PM, Geoffrey said:

I don't think it's necessary for MSNBC's anchors and reporters to mention the fact that one of their colleagues is related to a figure in the news for corruption. But I think it would be necessary for her to mention that at the top of her show as a reason why she is not covering one of the week's big stories.

I think it's unfair to punish or sideline Alicia for her father's troubles, but perhaps it would be good to have her skip this weekend.

On 9/23/2023 at 2:20 PM, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Not all situations are comparable. Chris Cuomo crossed a huge ethical line. That doesn’t mean every other person related to a public figure in hot water is going to cross a line. Keep her off covering that story, fine. If there is evidence she crosses a line, do what needs to be done. Don’t assume a problem where one is not indicated and stymie her career for something she did not do. 

Totally agree. Let her acknowledge that she won't cover the controversy because that's her dad, move on, and let her do her job. 

I miss the days when weekend mornings was Alex Witt for like 4 hours straight. Glad to see she's getting some good airtime in the afternoon.

• Like 3

A better look at the updated logo/typeface. 
MSNBC seems to be using the opportunity to do very small graphics updates, they have a new breaking news stinger that is similar to the old one but again just slightly different. They also updated all the virtual elements used in studios. Worth noting that “Reports” is now in the NBC font, maybe a sign of things to come. 

IMG_6561.jpeg

IMG_6560.jpeg

• Like 3

Somehow missed these posts and just noticed the updated logo tonight. I think the typeface looks better... the previous one felt kind of random. Not a huge fan of the lack of the white outline around the feathers but that's what it is now.

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

Did Alex Witt move to Los Angeles? I noticed her Saturday show was broadcasting from there and a few other times I turned in she was in LA and then other times she was in New York.

3 hours ago, Jman7885 said:

Was Katy Tur anchoring out of a new studio today?? Looked very similar to WNBC’s new studio 

Great catch @Jman7885!
I went and checked the tv news archive from archive.org and sure enough it looks like a new studio. It’s not WNBC’s studio 3B, and MSNBC used 3A, 3C & 4E today alone, I’m wondering if this is the new Studio 3K, which I’m assuming is for NBC Nightly News and NBC News Now.

MSNBC daytime and primetime is temporarily not using 3A as they prepare the studio for primary/caucus coverage so that’s why we aren’t seeing that in full use currently. 

Let’s be honest, studio 1A is not a great flagship, NBC needs a versatile studio for anything from special reports to space launches and elections. Nightly News deserves a real home and News Now might need more space as they expand programing. MSNBC and WNBC/Telemundo have all the space they could ever need. 

Here’s some screen grabs I took from the archive, the star desk is the one MSNBC has had for years, the new studio is already set up for the primaries/caucuses/election branding. 

Very NBC, very Clickspring (I’m assuming).

IMG_6756.jpeg

IMG_6757.jpeg

IMG_6758.jpeg

IMG_6759.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

IMG_6761.jpeg

On 1/6/2024 at 12:04 PM, Jman7885 said:

Did Alex Witt move to Los Angeles? I noticed her Saturday show was broadcasting from there and a few other times I turned in she was in LA and then other times she was in New York.

Alex seems to use LA a lot more than anyone else at NBC, she said she’ll back in NYC next weekend for the new line up launch, must be in LA to see family regularly enough they let her use the facilities there.

• Like 2