MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

I think MSNBC’s decision to have Rachel do her show only on Mondays is a clever business strategy for ratings. Viewers would take her for granted less.

It’s all about supply and demand. Take away supply and demand will skyrocket. If she only appears once a week, MSNBC viewers will feel more incentivized to watch on days when she does.

Where they once might go “I wanna watch Maddow but there’s this great movie on HBO tonight so think I’ll just watch her tomorrow” will figure “hey, Rachel only airs once a week. I can watch this movie anytime on Netflix. I’ll just watch Maddow then.”

• Like 4

This might sound weird but what if MSNBC had a different person host the 9PM ET hour every night permanently? My idea: 

Mondays: The Rachel Maddow Show

Tuesdays: Cross Connection with Tiffany Cross 

Wednesdays: Alex Wagner

Thursdays: Velshi with Ali Velshi

Fridays: Someone from the weekend such as, Ayman Mohyeldin, Alicia Menendez or Katie Phang. 

Each host would bring a different perspective and different set of topics with them, it would make each night a must watch for MSNBC viewers as they’d only see them once a week. (with the exception of those who have weekends shows.)

They could even have Ali Velshi and Stephanie Ruhle team up and bring back Velshi & Rhule on Thursdays if they wanted, the options are endless and would create a strong, stable competitor that viewers would love. 

Just an idea. Let’s hope they don’t mess this up. 

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Changes coming to weekends starting next week:

Symone Sanders' new show, Symone, debuts Saturday (5/7) at 4PM ET. 

Yasmin Vossoughian Reports will remain at 2 hours but will shift forward and air from 2-4PM ET.

Alex Witt Reports will go back to 2 hours from 12-2PM ET.

On 4/12/2022 at 3:57 AM, abcnnbcbs said:

I think MSNBC’s decision to have Rachel do her show only on Mondays is a clever business strategy for ratings. Viewers would take her for granted less.

It’s all about supply and demand. Take away supply and demand will skyrocket. If she only appears once a week, MSNBC viewers will feel more incentivized to watch on days when she does.

Where they once might go “I wanna watch Maddow but there’s this great movie on HBO tonight so think I’ll just watch her tomorrow” will figure “hey, Rachel only airs once a week. I can watch this movie anytime on Netflix. I’ll just watch Maddow then.”

One, it wasn't MSNBC's decision. It was hers. Two, one day a week doesn't help your ratings on the other four which will tank. Consistency is all that works. Being on one day a week also will hurt her own ratings on Monday but she doesn't care. She just doesn't want to be responsible for what is going to occur to the Democrat Party in the midterms. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I noticed and like “MSNBC Prime,” the name Drew brought up, for the non-Rachel 9p hours as of this week. And while jrogo’s idea is a bit out there and would be something of an experiment, I am feeling the concept a bit; in that case “MSNBC Prime” can easily stay as an umbrella brand for it should it go ahead. [And yes, Rachel and Ali Velshi should be a big part of that wheel.]

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:52 PM, CalItalian2 said:

She just doesn't want to be responsible for what is going to occur to the Democrat Party in the midterms. 

What does this even mean? I don’t see why she would be responsible and isn’t her desire to work on longer format programming? It’s not uncommon for the legislative branch to switch rule after the presidential election so I doubt she’s running from November.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Congrats to Chris! She has earned this.
Honestly, what can’t this Woman do? Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings, overnights, special reports, breaking news, politics, sports, protest coverage, filling in on holidays, campaign trail, press briefings and more. She carry’s that network and she knows it. Chris deserves this more than anyone IMO, and don’t forget, she does all that while being 65 years old! 

00DA12B2-37EE-48EF-86B4-7EB61E4E9F0D.jpeg
--- Chris Jansing Reports premiers on Thursday, May 26th. 

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I know many people dislike Chuck Todd. With the show being moved to 1:00 from 4:00, and now moving from cable to streaming, I have to wonder if this is another step that may Todd may eventually leave MTP and NBC News all together.

NBCNN is being prioritized higher than MSNBC and streaming is the future. This is more like a promotion for Todd.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Former White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki will officially join MSNBC this fall, with a show on The Choice (on Peacock), appearances across its lineup & NBC News programs and a role during coverage of the next midterm and presidential elections.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:24 AM, jrogo said:

Congrats to Chris! She has earned this.
Honestly, what can’t this Woman do? Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings, overnights, special reports, breaking news, politics, sports, protest coverage, filling in on holidays, campaign trail, press briefings and more. She carry’s that network and she knows it. Chris deserves this more than anyone IMO, and don’t forget, she does all that while being 65 years old! 

--- Chris Jansing Reports premiers on Thursday, May 26th. 

IMO Chris has been with MSNBC since day 1 and I think she's qualified to replace Brian Williams as the new chief anchor, taking over rolling coverage whenever there's breaking news.

• Like 4

MSNBC is using “MSNBC Live” branding today, it appears to be temporary and just because of the holiday. Here’s the special graphics, logo and music for it, including the animated “Live” on the bug. 

It’s also interesting to see Lawrence anchoring on Memorial Day, especially under something other then his normal show, Stephanie Ruhle was also in under the “Live” branding. 

Edited by jrogo

7 hours ago, jrogo said:

MSNBC is using “MSNBC Live” branding today, it appears to be temporary and just because of the holiday. Here’s the special graphics, logo and music for it, including the animated “Live” on the bug. 

It’s also interesting to see Lawrence anchoring on Memorial Day, especially under something other then his normal show, Stephanie Ruhle was also in under the “Live” branding. 

Ugh I hate the branding confusion now… we have replacement names “MSNBC Reports” for the generic dayside newscasts, “MSNBC Prime” for the prime time shows, and now we have “MSNBC Live” which I have no idea what purpose this branding is trying to serve🙄 Plus the bug is also confusing for repeats because the word “LIVE” (show name) is throughout the show but it’s not actually live…

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, ref1997 said:

Ugh I hate the branding confusion now… we have replacement names “MSNBC Reports” for the generic dayside newscasts, “MSNBC Prime” for the prime time shows, and now we have “MSNBC Live” which I have no idea what purpose this branding is trying to serve🙄 Plus the bug is also confusing for repeats because the word “LIVE” (show name) is throughout the show but it’s not actually live…

All we need is "MSNBC Overnight". 😏

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

MSNBC showed off some updated breaking news backgrounds, the in-studio elements have been used before but they swapped the standard blue & yellow Reports background for a red background with an added “breaking news” vertical crawl. I wonder if it’s the new look or just used for major breaking stories since they, like everyone else, overuse the breaking news banner. Either way it looks sharp. 

69B5EA91-79BB-4B8C-A536-7289B32171E2.jpeg

93CE22A5-96EA-4E34-BF50-73300A592D69.jpeg

0C3E12DE-D49A-4411-AD36-9AE064B87321.jpeg

C9D90D61-3676-4832-91C9-2177E1E0F864.jpeg

Old/Standard breaking news look: 

5799B3C1-7294-4579-9405-A2E552F8D2E0.jpeg

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...