MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

2 minutes ago, jrogo said:

SNL had huge changes announced today, it wouldn’t surprise me if The Tonight Show went back to no audience and if Today limited the Plazza to less people while still requiring proof of vaccination. 

Fallon & Meyers are wrapped til the new year, so immediate policy won't mean anything for them. Hell, they might be back home by the time their shows return.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 11:25 PM, Breaking News said:

It airs at 1PM EST.

You think Charles David Todd MTP Daily going to get the axe? Garrett Hake is a good reporter. Kate Snow that a good choice. There a lot of good people on the bench waiting to get a chance.

I think they’ll for sure take Chuck off MSNBC, the viewers don’t like MTP Daily. Meet The Press is in 3rd place (total & prime viewers), so maybe NBC wants to make a change before the midterms. Who knows. 

NBC News Universal News Group has not been utilizing talent like they should recently, they have a lot of good, young talent on the bench just sitting there. Odds are they’ll lose some of them to competition who will give them a regular spot. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jrogo said:

So what’s going on with MSNBC programing tonight? No Ayman, are they limiting broadcasts from 30 Rock again with COVID outbreaks in the building? 

SNL had huge changes announced today, it wouldn’t surprise me if The Tonight Show went back to no audience and if Today limited the Plazza to less people while still requiring proof of vaccination. 

Ayman didn't host his show on Peacock last night. Being so close to the holidays, he could simply be off. They could have chosen to go with alternate programing tonight instead of having someone else host his show. That's common

• Like 1

The thing I don't like with MSNBC is that they don't notify viewers on programming changes... especially on weekends... The whole weekend primetime block can get pre-empted with repeat programmes without prior notice to viewers by anchors on certain days... When the network goes "off air" with repeat programmes earlier than usual, the anchors usually just sign off with "more news right after this" (but what follows is a repeat of a newscast or Dateline)...  It's like they're trying to hide something. Local stations tend to be more caring in notifying viewers when newscast times are changed... 

Edited by ref1997
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 9:59 PM, jrogo said:

I think they’ll for sure take Chuck off MSNBC, the viewers don’t like MTP Daily. Meet The Press is in 3rd place (total & prime viewers), so maybe NBC wants to make a change before the midterms. Who knows. 

NBC News Universal News Group has not been utilizing talent like they should recently, they have a lot of good, young talent on the bench just sitting there. Odds are they’ll lose some of them to competition who will give them a regular spot. 

They already lost Kasie Hunt to CNN+ and Geoff Bennett to PBS, and more talent might be on the way out.

MSNBC has made some very questionable moves and they are losing viewership right behind that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LVForward said:

Another MSNBC exit...

1379606676_Screenshot2022-01-02at17-13-24kendisgibson(kendisgibson)Instagramphotosandvideos.png.3a723b2199189a0478a08ac4cf90b38a.png

Sad to see Kendis leave, he was VERY underutilized for the last year and a half or so. I could see him joining CBSN with its updated slate or CNN+ for a streaming news show, he'll do great no matter where he goes. Another top tier departure.....

20 hours ago, Amra said:

Cesar Conde and Rashida Jones are trying to make MSNBC a more "hard news" cable channel. We'll see how it resonates with the viewers.

Which would be a good thing, if done correctly. MSNBC can do informed perspectives/opinion AND hard news if they put the right people in those roles but the recent departures suggests they will mess it up, losing most their audience, again. Maybe Phill Griffin didn't want to stick around for what the 3rd?, 4th? rebuild in dozen years.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:02 PM, Amra said:

Cesar Conde and Rashida Jones are trying to make MSNBC a more "hard news" cable channel. We'll see how it resonates with the viewers.

Lets see what this means. Less partisan I hope. I liked the early to mid 2000s era of MSNBC (when they were the news source on the MSN home page). Thats when the network had opinionated analysis, particularly in primetime, but still had a strong news presence. Their New Jersey studio beat any modern set in cable news.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

This caught my attention and would be very interesting if true. Like her or not she is a rising voice on TV, and has played an important part in increasing MSNBC’s non-white viewers, which as we know advertisers pay more and more attention to.

If this happens I’d bet it will be part of a major reshuffle of primetime and could happen around the time Rachel ends her nightly show. 

A6FAC185-DEE4-4313-8DF5-BF33C612615E.jpeg

8 minutes ago, jrogo said:

This caught my attention and would be very interesting if true. Like her or not she is a rising voice on TV, and has played an important part in increasing MSNBC’s non-white viewers, which as we know advertisers pay more and more attention to.

If this happens I’d bet it will be part of a major reshuffle of primetime and could happen around the time Rachel ends her nightly show. 

The same rumors have been floating around since even before 45 announced his candidacy (and the BTS issues have been public for years already but only cared about by the worst of cable news obsessives that aren't on this board). Until anything actually happens on this, it's still 100% skepticism they'll do anything outside a natural letting go at the end of her latest deal (or seeing if the show fits better on streaming).

Edited by mrschimpf

In terms of reshuffling, I don't mind balanced opinionated analysis in primetime, but Trump and January 6th all day long is excessive. 

A line up with say, a liberal at 8 like Rachel Maddow or Keith Olberman, a conservative at 9:00, and an independent at 10 would be interesting mix.

Since MSNBC aims for a left leaning audience however, commentators in primetime and hard news all day long would be a more likely scenario. 

Edited by iron_lion

14 hours ago, jrogo said:

A6FAC185-DEE4-4313-8DF5-BF33C612615E.jpeg

Didn't see this coming for Joy Ann Reid..

After MSNBC canned Chris Matthews I knew this is something that MSNBC would struggle. If they need that 7PM slot to be relevant again  get Shepard Smith from CNBC to MSNBC and put Joy Reid on weekends 8A-10A.. Ali Velshi for the 11th Hour during the week. To me he seems better and quite fitting to do the show better than Chris Jansing.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:16 PM, LVForward said:

Another MSNBC exit...

1379606676_Screenshot2022-01-02at17-13-24kendisgibson(kendisgibson)Instagramphotosandvideos.png.3a723b2199189a0478a08ac4cf90b38a.png

Officially that Kendis Gibson is gone. I could see 3 things happening.

He could possibly go to the rival CNN+ screaming channel where Kasie Hunt and a few MSNBC alum are there already.  He could also go back home to ABC (but who wants to go back to early morning news) but where I see most fitting for him would be CBS News

JUST IN: Stephanie Rhule is set to replace Brian Williams as the host of the 11th Hour, according to Axios.

Her current 9 a.m. show  will be absorbed by Morning Joe, although it is not clear what that will look like exactly.

Note: Way Too Early at 5 a.m. is also under the Morning Joe umbrella. 

What's next: MSNBC still needs to find another host to replace Rachel Maddow in the 9 pm hour.

• Maddow is expected to leave her daily program next year as she pursues different projects with the network.

Also in this same article.. Rachel Maddow to leave her 9PM slot.....

They should have just put Chris Jansing at 9AM. 
I personally don’t think The 11th Hour is the right time slot for Stephanie. I guess we’ll see what changes they’ll be making to fit her style. Not to mention Joe & Mika anchoring from a shared home studio in Florida (started before COVID) all while Willie sits there patiently waiting his turn. 

Can’t keep talking about doing News but then never do it… 

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jrogo said:

They should have just put Chris Jansing at 9AM. 
I personally don’t think The 11th Hour is the right time slot for Stephanie. I guess we’ll see what changes they’ll be making to fit her style. Not to mention Joe & Mika anchoring from a shared home studio in Florida (started before COVID) all while Willie sits there patiently waiting his turn. 

Can’t keep talking about doing News but then never do it… 

Hopefully with his change, Joe and Mika will be routinely in DC or NY.  When they are there, the show flows much better and the interaction is far better.  It's just not the same when they call it in from their home studio in Florida.  I'm also hoping former BBC anchor Katy Kay has a larger role.  

28 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Hopefully with his change, Joe and Mika will be routinely in DC or NY.  When they are there, the show flows much better and the interaction is far better.  It's just not the same when they call it in from their home studio in Florida.  I'm also hoping former BBC anchor Katy Kay has a larger role.  

That will not happen. Joe (possibly both) is a Florida resident so he is required to live in Florida at least 183 days per year. https://www.alperlaw.com/florida-asset-protection/florida-residency/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...