MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

7 minutes ago, ddaniels20 said:

Brian Williams will NOT be renewing his contract with MSNBC; he will be leaving the network at the end of the year.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/brian-williams-leaving-msnbc-nbc-news-1235108664/

Where you suspect he'll end up at? IMO, I suspect BW will jump to CBS and if I play my cards right... He might just replace Norah on the CBS Evening News. It's just my opinion, folks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Where you suspect he'll end up at? IMO, I suspect BW will jump to CBS and if I play my cards right... He might just replace Norah on the CBS Evening News. It's just my opinion, folks.

This is going to happen in March 2022. I can see it NOW. The CBS Evening News with Brian Williams back in NYC. You know CBS would do this in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

This is going to happen in March 2022. I can see it NOW. The CBS Evening News with Brian Williams back in NYC. You know CBS would do this in a heartbeat. 

Could Brian Williams pull CBS out of third place & go up against Lester? 

• Like 1

I was kind of arise to hear this. after the controversy that led to his exit from Nightly  in 2015, he had reinvented himself at MSNBC and form I heard one of the higher rated shows on MSNBC. I guess he was ready for a change. 

PBS is another possibility. 

Would  Brian actually be willing to go to CBS and become the anchor of CBS Evening News? He would be going up against Nightly News.  That would be like Tom Brokaw  going to ABC to  anchors Worlds News Tonight when Diane left. But I guess you never know,   Ratings would improve quit a bit though, possibly even overtaking ABC.  I doubt he leaving to go to CNN  (obviously not Fox) unless they offered him  insane amount of money money then MSNBC was offering.  Otherwise why  leave one Cable Primetime show for another?  Or maybe ABC. that where everyone seem to be going. 

From the New York Times (paywall):

Mr. Williams, who joined NBC News in 1993, has not expressed much interest in returning to a traditional nightly evening newscast, according to the person familiar with his thinking. That would seem to rule out a gig like anchoring the “CBS Evening News,” whose anchor, Norah O’Donnell, is on a contract that expires next year.

But hey, I know it's fun to dream.

And on the other side of this story - who takes over "The 11th Hour" or do the scrap it and start anew?  Or does "Top Story with Tom Llamas" switch to MSNBC?  As another long-running NBC program would say - Like sands through the hourglass...  Got a little ahead of myself (or rather ahead of BW himself) Well said closing thoughts, Brian.  Best Wishes!!!

Edited by LVForward
  • Like 1

I would just like to express how sad I am about Brian leaving and yes I do mean sad. Brian was my hero as a kid and the reason I got into to journalism, I never missed Nightly and never miss The 11th Hour.

Sad to see him leaving after 28 years, he certainly had a great career and made a huge impact on people and journalism as a whole. 

11 minutes ago, LVForward said:

And on the other side of this story - who takes over "The 11th Hour" or do the scrap it and start anew?  Or does "Top Story with Tom Llamas" switch to MSNBC?  As another long-running NBC program would say - Like sands through the hourglass...  Got a little ahead of myself (or rather ahead of BW himself) Well said closing thoughts, Brian.  Best Wishes!!!

I’m hoping it’s Chris Jansing, she deserves it and has been filling in recently. Brian made it sound like The 11th Hour will be sticking around but with a new host staring in the new year. I’d say Chris Jansing, Jacob Soboroff and Alicia Menendez are probably front runners for his replacement. 

As for top story with Tom, that would be a better placed at 10pm when Lawrence retires IMO. 
Lots of change still to come at MSNBC.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, froyo49 said:

From the New York Times (paywall):

But hey, I know it's fun to dream.

I don't know if I believe this. It makes the most sense to go to either CBS or PBS and CBS is still the best option of the 2. I don't think Brian will be able to pass David Muir and WNT but I do think he could pass Lester and NN for 2nd place. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

2 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I don't know if I believe this. It makes the most sense to go to either CBS or PBS and CBS is still the best option of the 2. I don't think Brian will be able to pass David Muir and WNT but I do think he could pass Lester and NN for 2nd place. 

I thought World News was in 2nd? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, kshow said:

I doubt he will go to CBS it just sounds like it will flop and it's setting the network up for failure. He may just do the digital root. 

CNN+ could offer an opportunity he's looking for.  CBS isn't going to spend the money. They're looking to cut cost/spend more wisely and not take on new cost/risks that don't result in a solid return on investment.

• Like 1

On a personal note I'm gonna miss BriWi so much... Some of you here might not agree with me but I really enjoyed his narrative style of anchoring. IMO he fits his role in MSNBC serving as the chief anchor perfectly.

Back in his Nightly News era, I always feel like Brian Williams' expertise was constained by the format of Nightly News. The newscast was only about 20 minutes long (minus the total of 10 mins ads), which he was often required to rush through the stories on NN, not allowing his narrative style of anchoring and reporting to shine.

When he transferred to MSNBC, I started to like him more. The less constrained format of MSNBC allowed Brian to really show his expertise in anchoring. Whenever breaking news occurs and I see Brian Williams I always tune into him, because I really enjoyed his narrative tone and the dynamic feel in breaking the news... Unlike most of the daytime anchors who sound very uptight and "anxious" when breaking news is developing...

The 11th Hour was always like the "flagship newscast" for MSNBC in my eyes - it's like the equivilent of the flagship shows "Nightly News with Lester Holt" on NBC or "The News with Shep Smith" on CNBC. There's just something different from other shows in the primetime lineup... He is not too overly opinionated like the rest of the primetime hosts, yet the nature of the show allows Brian to loosen up and gives him more flexibility and time to narrate stories... and occassionally add a little bit of sacarasm. Guests on his show are also given more air time to voice out and sounded more "rational" in discussions. I'm also one of those viewers who liked "hard news" newscasts rather than opinionated newscasts and perhaps that's why that makes me like Brian's show more...

I know some of you here may disagree with me but I think Brian has redeemed his mistakes from Nightly News. I know Brian William's might sound overly confident and perhaps has too much ego during his Nightly News Era... but ever since his transfer to MSNBC I can see he has significantly turned more humble and "low-key" from his interviews and media presence after 2016. His "record" is also clean without any huge controversy ever since he took his new role at MSNBC... and he helped MSNBC built the 11PM market and scored new viewership.

I'm gonna miss him signing off as the network goes off air, accompanied by the dramatic election closing theme every weeknight at 11:59PM ET.

"On behalf of all my colleagues at the networks of NBC News, goodnight from NBC News World Headquarters in New York City" *cue the election theme and the skyline photos or live shots of NYC*

Speaking of signing off, here's a long close of the 11th Hour featuring Brian signing off into the dramatic election theme I've captured some weeks ago... I've always hummed the theme whenever I get to catch the end of the show at night... If you like the election theme I hope you'll enjoy:

https://streamable.com/gr3khz

Edited by ref1997
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, jrogo said:

I would just like to express how sad I am about Brian leaving and yes I do mean sad. Brian was my hero as a kid and the reason I got into to journalism, I never missed Nightly and never miss The 11th Hour.

Sad to see him leaving after 28 years, he certainly had a great career and made a huge impact on people and journalism as a whole. 

I’m hoping it’s Chris Jansing, she deserves it and has been filling in recently. Brian made it sound like The 11th Hour will be sticking around but with a new host staring in the new year. I’d say Chris Jansing, Jacob Soboroff and Alicia Menendez are probably front runners for his replacement. 

As for top story with Tom, that would be a better placed at 10pm when Lawrence retires IMO. 
Lots of change still to come at MSNBC.

With all due respect to Chris Jansing - and I do agree she has substantial reporting and anchoring skills - I am not sure if she has the gravitas to fill Brian's shoes.  With all the changes going on throughout "the networks of NBC News" they will need a commanding presence to lead their flagship news program.  And before anyone says it - it is NOT because she is a woman.  Chris could easily replace Andrea at noon, when she decides to retire - or fill any number of substantial roles across the many platforms, just not as the face of the network.  From a talent perspective - as well as a budgetary one - maybe it is time to pull the plug on CNBC's The News (not exactly a ratings juggernaut) and bring Shep over to MSNBC, if his contract permits. Shep having been "the" news anchor with the Fox NEWS Channel and step down with his credentials, morals and standards still mostly intact was impressive.   Additionally, Shep's narrative delivery - although clearly different from Brian's would not alter the 11th Hour vibe greatly.  Unlike at some of the other news/talk organizations -  the depth of talented journalists, not just talking heads, is great at NBCUniversal and promoting from within would make perfect sense and add the air of continuity - after all, as they say "This is who we are."

• Like 2

I like Chris Jansing but I dont see her doing an 11pm newscast nightly. I could see her regaining an hour of MSNBC Reports before that or getting a newscast on NBC News Now. I do miss seeing her daily on tv though. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LVForward said:

With all due respect to Chris Jansing - and I do agree she has substantial reporting and anchoring skills - I am not sure if she has the gravitas to fill Brian's shoes.  With all the changes going on throughout "the networks of NBC News" they will need a commanding presence to lead their flagship news program.  And before anyone says it - it is NOT because she is a woman.  Chris could easily replace Andrea at noon, when she decides to retire - or fill any number of substantial roles across the many platforms, just not as the face of the network.  From a talent perspective - as well as a budgetary one - maybe it is time to pull the plug on CNBC's The News (not exactly a ratings juggernaut) and bring Shep over to MSNBC, if his contract permits. Shep having been "the" news anchor with the Fox NEWS Channel and step down with his credentials, morals and standards still mostly intact was impressive.   Additionally, Shep's narrative delivery - although clearly different from Brian's would not alter the 11th Hour vibe greatly.  Unlike at some of the other news/talk organizations -  the depth of talented journalists, not just talking heads, is great at NBCUniversal and promoting from within would make perfect sense and add the air of continuity - after all, as they say "This is who we are."

If moving Shep to MSNBC is to happen, I wouldn't expect it until mid-January, instead of the beginning of the year. 

The reason? The Olympics.

Instead of starting CNBC's coverage at 8, I can see them starting it at 7, pre-empting "The News"... coincidently to the vacated 11:00 MSNBC slot for two weeks (The News with Shep already has a midnight repeat on CNBC).... and just never move him back to the 7:00 CNBC slot. 

Honestly, IMO, Shep's CNBC slot always seemed to be a stopgap until either a slot opened up either on NBC or on  one of the few hard news slots on MSNBC  

Edited by elfuego35

12 hours ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

I thought World News was in 2nd? 

where you’ve been? It been #1 under Diane & Muir WNT, but it not the same WNT when Peter Jennings was on. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if BW went over to CBS for EN, but how many from NBC go to CBS just to get kicked in the face? Katie Couric & Bryant Gumbel both didn’t move the needle. 

I see  Tom Llamas moving in at 11pm on MSNBC.

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 2

Not trying to be provocative but I’m kind of surprised at the love he’s getting here and on social media with some pleading for him to return to a nightly newscast. While a strong force at NBC he is, he’s tarnished his image as a trusted anchor in my opinion. Dude just made up lies and embellishments for two major stories during his time as the face of network news. The competition would be interesting but I hope people’s memories aren’t so short to forget that the man at worst lacks completely integrity and at best has incredibly poor judgment, two things that are critical to leading news and information.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Not trying to be provocative but I’m kind of surprised at the love he’s getting here and on social media with some pleading for him to return to a nightly newscast. While a strong force at NBC he is, he’s tarnished his image as a trusted anchor in my opinion. Dude just made up lies and embellishments for two major stories during his time as the face of network news. The competition would be interesting but I hope people’s memories aren’t so short to forget that the man at worst lacks completely integrity and at best has incredibly poor judgment, two things that are critical to leading news and information.

Let me begin with your very own preface - Not trying to be provocative but...

1. I am surprised and pleased by the outpouring for Brian - I am a fan, and agree he made a significant mistake - and paid a significant professional punishment.  As is the case in our criminal justice system you do the crime - you do the time.  But, after that one hopes to return to their previous life.  Not saying what he did was criminal.  But, WOW what a show of support in the last 24 hours.  AMAZING!!  He should be proud - and let us not forget Brian  did it without a college degree.

2, Now for my controversial moment -  in response to your comment -  These values of integrity and judgement you speak of are not only critical  for newscasters but for people in general - including presidents, senators, congressmen, governors, mayors, doctors, lawyers, etc.  Hello, January 6th calling.  If we can look the other way on a twice impeached, one term former president, or a wacky-at best former NYC mayor, or a FL/TX/NY governor or so many others, including their fierce supporters and enablers - then why not forgive the embellishments of a demoted, rehabilitated former network news anchor, who worked hard to keep us informed.

One thing for sure - I can't wait for the book tour.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

If I heard him correctly...Brian Williams just said he will take his leave one week from tonight.

Coincidentally, Canadian sportscaster Brian Williams announced his retirement today after a distinguished five-decade career.  Canada's Brian Williams "covered just about every sport imaginable over his remarkable sportscasting career. The Olympics and the CFL were two of his mainstays as a principal studio anchor and longtime host with CBC and later CTV and TSN," according to The Canadian Press. 

Edited by LVForward
  • Sad 1