MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

6 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Ideally, I would want Brian Williams to have the 9p slot like he had with The News with Brian Williams.  

I would REALLY REALLY LOVE to see Keith Olbermann come back to MSNBC.

-- Matt

If they hire within for her slot, I would bet one of two scenarios would happen: 

1) they move Nicole Wallace to that slot (9p) or

2) they move Joy Reid to that slot (9p) and Nicole Wallace to Joy's current slot (7p). 

Edited by freelanceproducer

I don't know, IMO progressives who watch mainstream news will keep their pressure on MSNBC to uplift more of their voices so a more centrist/"old Republican" voice would incite a lot of disappointment. CNN isn't doing too hot in its vanilla direction, so MSNBC knows that they've cornered their mainstream progressive wing. If Maddow, who's basically the most progressive primetime host in their lineup (I consider Joy and Ari part of their "pre-primetime") really departs, neither Brian nor Nicolle would make for the right replacement, and no one else in their lineup runs a show like her either.

If Maddow does depart, I think Joy Reid would be promoted, as mentioned above. And then promote Tiffany Cross to Joy's slot. Then expand Jonathan's weekend thing and help him establish his niche of breaking weekly news down (for one, he's on PBS NewsHour on Fridays, so he already has that kind of Sunday morning show vibe).

I don't anticipate a new hire from outside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Devin said:

Tonight Deadline Whitehouse with Nicole Wallace is airing at 9pm slot, maybe a possible replacement for Rachael 

That edition of Deadline Whitehouse tonight is a repeat of this afternoon's 4PM slot. Today is a Labor Day, which means limited service for the channel. MSNBC is only on air "live" until 7PM tonight followed by repeats and Dateline throughout the night...

Edited by ref1997

Sources are saying we can expect announcements about schedule s changes today…

2 minutes ago, freelanceproducer said:

UPDATE: José Díaz-Balart will be moving to anchor the 10 a.m. hour of MSNBC Reports. 

Hallie Jackson will be moving to 3 pm which means Ayman Mohyeldin will be bumped from the weekday schedule. He is set to get his own weekend Primetime show and a Friday night show on Peacock.

14 minutes ago, freelanceproducer said:

UPDATE: José Díaz-Balart will be moving to anchor the 10 a.m. hour of MSNBC Reports. 

Hallie Jackson will be moving to 3 pm which means Ayman Mohyeldin will be bumped from the weekday schedule. He is set to get his own weekend Primetime show and a Friday night show on Peacock.

in addition to these moves, Joshua Johnson is leaving his weekend show and moving to NBC News Now, where he’ll host a daily early-evening show as well as contribute to Sunday Today and Nightly News 

In a pretty lengthy interview with Deadline, MSNBC President Rashida Jones said that Rachel Maddow's show "will continue as she's doing it now." Jones seems to be positioning Maddow's new contract as one that allows Maddow to expand her interests while keeping her nightly gig. 

https://deadline.com/2021/09/msnbc-president-rashida-jones-interview-rachel-maddow-future-network-plans-1234823243/

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, freelanceproducer said:

In addition to Jose moving to 10AM, the 10AM hour will be based out of the Telemundo Center in Miami and he will leave the anchor position at Noticias Telemundo, but will remain hosting specials

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...