MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

54 minutes ago, jrogo said:

According to TVNewser: 

"Johnson had been anchoring 8-10 p.m. ET time period on Saturdays and Sundays. He will continue to anchor two hours on Saturdays, and just one hour on Sundays." 

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/mehdi-hasan-is-heading-for-msnbc-on-sunday-nights/472198/

Johnson is also going to be getting a show on Peacock. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like MSNBC Live is gone. Starting tomorrow all shows are now 

Stephanie Ruhle Reports 

Hallie Jackson Reports 

Craig Melvin Reports 

Andrea Mitchell Reports 

Katy Tur Reports 

Ayman Mohyedlin Reports 

Weekends 

Gibson & Reiser Reports 

Alex Witt Reports 

Yasmin Vossoughian Reports 

I get renaming name but a little more variety between them would have been better. 

Edited by Drew

42 minutes ago, Drew said:

Looks like MSNBC Live is gone. Starting tomorrow all shows are now 

Stephanie Ruhle Reports 

Hallie Jackson Reports 

Craig Melvin Reports 

Andrea Mitchell Reports 

Katy Tur Reports 

Ayman Mohyedlin Reports 

Weekends 

Gibson & Reiser Reports 

Alex Witt Reports 

Yasmin Vossoughian Reports 

I get renaming name but a little more variety between them would have been better. 

Saw that on my guide. I don't know if the MSNBC Live name was used that much on air.

It really hasn't been used in name in years. But I still think they could have chosen different names then all FIRST LAST NAMES Reports.  Weekends I think they could have kept Weekends with Alex Witt and something more catchy then Gibson & Reiser Reports. 

I bet we will have brand new graphics launching tomorrow. Maybe a redesigned logo for the network that has MSNBC undder the peacock like NBC News does.

• Like 1

MSNBC seriously has a branding problem with their direct "Newsroom" competing offerings. They keep changing things around and I get that that has to happen to see what works, but these new show names are just not it. I would hope that they're temporary because they're just convoluted. I still don't understand why they need so many different anchors throughout the day, but that's another issue. 

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

MSNBC seriously has a branding problem with their direct "Newsroom" competing offerings. They keep changing things around and I get that that has to happen to see what works, but these new show names are just not it. I would hope that they're temporary because they're just convoluted. I still don't understand why they need so many different anchors throughout the day, but that's another issue. 

My thoughts as well. If anything team some of them up together for a 2 hour block. Like Katy & Ayman they worked great during election week. 

If anyone's awake, it seems they have just silently soft launched their new graphics during the overnight news update. "MSNBC NOW" is now rebranded as "MSNBC Reports", and their logo now adopts the font on their website. Gah I hate cable news channels attempt to look "young". This looks like some something NBCLX would pull off~🙁

image.png.015bb338c2f0c6d926fd33b50b0eca23.png

image.thumb.png.26cae78a2c358c43c30bf3ff28a306b7.png

image.thumb.png.5f6a95670ab7c54be34b7aebeb8be457.png
Yeah the new lower-thirds and bug is definitely being rolled out right now for actual programming, as seen here on Way Too Early. Literally none of this rebranding was necessary. I admit the look is clean and simple, but the font still feels so off-brand (even if NBC News Now did use it for the longest time). 

Edited by Roadrunner

Looks good to me. MSNBC desperately needed a refresh and all the different looks for different stories was a mess, IMO. 

The only thing that surprises me is that the refreshed logo on-air is NOT the same as the one that’s been online and on the NBC News app for a while now. Very similar, but you can tell the difference by the Cs.

Not a bad refresh.

I'm not a fan of the "live" and time not being on the screen all the time as they rotate with the show's name ("REPORTS" during the day). I also don't like how the lower-third shrinks when displaying someone's name (they've done this for a while).

I do like the different colors for different shows and topics and how the bug's colors change to match.

I don't mind all the shows being under a single brand but MSNBC should have stuck with the 'MSNBC Live' brand IMO. It gives a continuous coverage feel, and average viewers probably just say their watching MSNBC rather than the program name unless it's Rachel Maddow or Joy Reid etc....

The new L3's  are more of the same but I prefer them over the previous package. Regardless cable news could stand to diversify itself from this heavy white box look. No gloss, no shine no transparency, just flat and white. From what I've seen sports channels like ESPN have completely outdone cable news where graphics and set design are concerned.

Their early 2000s look was strong and more creative. Followed by their mid 00s and early 2010s looks. 

image.png.a103ae690f7c418ce72bc58bccf0a7e4.png

image.png.1b5879e304d34be5f2dc8f366bf925dd.png

MSNBC 2010 ESOP Coverage - YouTube

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

Not a bad new look, they were probably about due. The new logo isn't bad, but I prefer the 2015 one better.

MSNBC Reports isn't bad, although I prefer MSNBC Live a little better.

Now it's time for CNN to upgrade their graphics, as they haven't changed much since 2014. CNBC might be due too.

I didn't know they still did news cut-ins during non-news shows. I would have thought that they got rid of them when they added more hours of news.

Tv Newser notes that this is the 2nd cable news channel to change the name of its general news program, as Fox News did it a few weeks ago. They are really changing things up for the new administration.

3 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Not a bad new look, they were probably about due. The new logo isn't bad, but I prefer the 2015 one better.

MSNBC Reports isn't bad, although I prefer MSNBC Live a little better.

Now it's time for CNN to upgrade their graphics, as they haven't changed much since 2014. CNBC might be due too.

I didn't know they still did news cut-ins during non-news shows. I would have thought that they got rid of them when they added more hours of news.

Tv Newser notes that this is the 2nd cable news channel to change the name of its general news program, as Fox News did it a few weeks ago. They are really changing things up for the new administration.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see CNN update their L3 in the next few weeks when they implement their new schedule. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

CNBC might be due too

Yeah, I kind of agree but I also really associate CNBC with its flashy graphics, booming music, and endless sound effects, and I doubt any of that would ever change. They released new theme songs and some graphic modifications for two of its flagship programs over the past ~2 years and never made the transition into flat like we're seeing here for MSNBC. 

46 minutes ago, freelanceproducer said:

Stay tuned!

I will hold my doubts since nothing much changed in 2017 when they last had a huge lineup change, but we shall stay tuned indeed.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Yeah, I kind of agree but I also really associate CNBC with its flashy graphics, booming music, and endless sound effects, and I doubt any of that would ever change. They released new theme songs and some graphic modifications for two of its flagship programs over the past ~2 years and never made the transition into flat like we're seeing here for MSNBC. 

I will hold my doubts since nothing much changed in 2017 when they last had a huge lineup change, but we shall stay tuned indeed.

Yeah, CNBC has a unique style with the theatrical style music, flash graphics and constant sound effects. I'm thinking a font change too. The ticker's always been blue and white and I don't see that ever changing. Kind of like PTI on ESPN having looked and sounded the same since the show started 20 years ago. CNBC hasn't had any significant changes in at least 15 years, with a lot of the same anchors and reporters and analysts. 

• Like 1

I like the new MSNBC look.   It's more refined and unique than the other one, that seemed like a giant CNN ripoff.   It also ties in better to NBC News Now.

I would imagine format-wise the main news is going to be covered on MSNBC while the NBC News Now is watered down  as it is with breaking news and repeats of other NBC news shows.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

If Maddow leaves the next question would be who would take over for her.

Ideally, I would want Brian Williams to have the 9p slot like he had with The News with Brian Williams.  

I would REALLY REALLY LOVE to see Keith Olbermann come back to MSNBC.

-- Matt