MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New changes coming to MSNBC early weekday mornings and weekend line up. 

• Morning Joe will be getting a new lead in, Way Too Early With Kasie Hunt starts September 21st at 5 am ET (M-F), she will anchor from D.C. 
  • Because of that change Yasmin Vossoughian will move to weekends and host MSNBC Live on Saturdays and Sundays in NYC from 3-5 pm ET.
  • On September 19th MSNBC will debut American Voices With Alicia Menendez, from 6-8 pm. ET, followed by The Week With Joshua Johnson, from 8-10 pm ET, both new shows will originate from NYC and will be on every Saturday and Sunday.  

This Sunday will be the final episode of KasieDC.

They will now have an open hour from 2-3 pm ET.

These are smart changes especially the new weekend shows, they have really been promoting Alicia recently. I was hoping they'd put Joshua on weekdays . 

I wish they would give Richard Lui an MSNBC Live slot from 10 pm-12 am ET on weekends for those of us out West.

Edited by JRogotzke

I wonder if they will expand Alex Witt to 3 hours or put David Gura or Richard Lui at the 2pm hour

scratch David Gura is he still with MSNBC/NBC just noticed on this twitter bio that the MSNBC-NBC News reference is gone now. 

19 hours ago, Drew said:

I wonder if they will expand Alex Witt to 3 hours or put David Gura or Richard Lui at the 2pm hour

scratch David Gura is he still with MSNBC/NBC just noticed on this twitter bio that the MSNBC-NBC News reference is gone now. 

I wondered that too, cost wise it would make sense to give it to Alex since her show is so popular but I'm gonna bet it stays rotating.

According to David Gura's LinkedIn he is still with NBCU News Group, they've really underused him in so many ways. His weekend show "UP" was great, I love Ali Velshi but that wasn't the best spot for him, I'm surprised David hasn't made his way over to CNBC since he came from Bloomberg. 

I figured the "NBCUniversal News Group President" would know if David was still around! 😉😂

Edited by jrogo

18 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

It feels like a demotion for Ali IMHO

Actually Ali requested the move and has said "I love it". He teaches during the week in Philadelphia which is why he wanted to move to weekends, I was hoping they would let him anchor from the new Comcast Center in Philly but we probably won't ever see that.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 7:35 PM, jrogo said:

Actually Ali requested the move and has said "I love it". He teaches during the week in Philadelphia which is why he wanted to move to weekends, I was hoping they would let him anchor from the new Comcast Center in Philly but we probably won't ever see that.  

Interesting.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drew said:

My TV guide states Weekends with Alex Witt expands to 3 hours. Also MSNBC Live on weekends now are title with anchor names again. 

Same on my guide. Glad to see Kendis and Lindsey together in the morning, I'm surprised they didn't brand those 2 hours. Now they just need to figure out a replacement for AMJoy and the schedule will be set. I still wish they'd give Richard Lui an MSNBC Live slot from 10p-Midnight ET on weekends but that's wishful thinking. 

Other changes I have noticed on the TV Guide:

Weekdays:

Morning Joe First Look will be "cancelled" from Monday September 21, replaced by a new show (with an old name😉Way Too Early with Kasie Hunt at 5 a.m ET.

Weekends:

New shows: 

MSNBC Live With Yasmin Vossoughia starting this Saturday 3-5 p.m. ET.

American Voices With Alicia Menendez starting this Saturday 6-8 p.m. ET.

The Week With Joshua Johnson starting this Saturday 8-10 p.m. ET.

No more Kasie DC starting this Saturday.

Edited by ref1997

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, jrogo said:

David Gura has left MSNBC & NBC News. 
https://mobile.twitter.com/davidgura/status/1327315883677593600

Shame I liked him.  He was good journalist. But when UP was cancelled they didn’t know what to do with him, gave him an hour on the weekend afternoons. But that didn’t last.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not breaking (announced earlier last week), but Tiffany Cross and Jonathan Capehart will be taking over for the weekend morning slot last permanently filled by Joy Reid (10AM-12PM).

Tiffany will anchor Saturdays and Jonathan will anchor Sundays. These will be two separate branded shows and not just the same show led by two different people.

[Link 1] and [Link 2]

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mightynine said:

Phil Griffin leaving as head of MSNBC, to be replaced by Rashida Jones:

Good for Rashida, Let the changes begin.....
Also, did everyone else see the NBC News app alert for her? That’s awesome. 

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, LVForward said:

What happens to Joshua Johnson if Mehdi is taking the 8pm slot?

According to TVNewser: 

"Johnson had been anchoring 8-10 p.m. ET time period on Saturdays and Sundays. He will continue to anchor two hours on Saturdays, and just one hour on Sundays." 

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/mehdi-hasan-is-heading-for-msnbc-on-sunday-nights/472198/

Edited by jrogo