MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

6 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

He could fit right in. Even Newsmax is a better place for him now than Fox.

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

I can see the headlines now..."Fox News TRAITOR Shepard Smith joins LIBERAL MSNBC in effort to take down President Trump!"

...and that's them being generous. 

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 1:47 PM, Spintech33 said:

More MSNBC news: TV Newscheck and the New York Post are reporting that Chuck Todd could lose his 5PM slot to Nicole Wallace since her show-Deadline White House catches more of the 25-54 demographic and which peaked at 2 Million viewers in 2019. Although Chuck has the #1 Sunday political show peaking at 3 Million viewers I don't suspect that Chuck would like the 9AM slot for MTP Daily during the week.

https://pagesix.com/2020/01/02/chuck-todds-meet-the-press-daily-facing-axe-to-make-room-for-nicolle-wallace/?_ga=2.122079887.544412441.1578056049-870457080.1525776785

It seems like perhaps MTP Daily might be moving to streaming only on Peacock when it launches in July... the details are fuzzy.

And NBC News and Sky will be launching an international linear rival to CNN, the launch of which is to be announced.

No mention of MSNBC yet and how it fits into either Peacock or the NBC Sky venture. Will be interesting to see how it all integrates.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/peacock-streaming-platform-includes-new-nbc-news-sky-international-news-network-1202833403/

Edited by zasnynews

On 1/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, zasnynews said:

It seems like perhaps MTP Daily might be moving to streaming only on Peacock when it launches in July... the details are fuzzy.

And NBC News and Sky will be launching an international linear rival to CNN, the launch of which is to be announced.

No mention of MSNBC yet and how it fits into either Peacock or the NBC Sky venture. Will be interesting to see how it all integrates.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/peacock-streaming-platform-includes-new-nbc-news-sky-international-news-network-1202833403/

All in all, happy for Wallace. Well deserved!

• 4 weeks later...

Ali Velshi's new weekend morning show debuts tomorrow as he leaves weekdays, "Velshi" will be on from 8A-10A ET, I'm guessing the rest of the new MSNBC schedule will debut over the coming weekends. Does anyone know what MSNBC will be doing with the 2 hours every weekday Ali anchored/co-anchored?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised MSNBC still hasn't changed its name yet. Since Microsoft no longer has any ownership ties and since the channel's constantly using the NBC News branding during programming and promotions, why not change the name from MSNBC to the NBC News Network, and change MSNBC Live to NBC News Live?

On 4/3/2020 at 7:33 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

I'm surprised MSNBC still hasn't changed its name yet. Since Microsoft no longer has any ownership ties and since the channel's constantly using the NBC News branding during programming and promotions, why not change the name from MSNBC to the NBC News Network, and change MSNBC Live to NBC News Live?

Why toss 24 years of brand equity when Microsoft isn't asking NBCU to change it? 

• Thanks 3

Deadline: White House has been starting at 3:30pm for the last week so I wonder if this is the signs it might expand to two hours maybe 3–5p. 

Chuck has also been doing the 1pm hour after Andrea I am thinking they might move. MTP Daily to that slot and make Katy  Tur 2 hours between chuck and Nicolle. Put Joshua Johnson in at 5pm. 

19 hours ago, Drew said:

Deadline: White House has been starting at 3:30pm for the last week so I wonder if this is the signs it might expand to two hours maybe 3–5p. 

Chuck has also been doing the 1pm hour after Andrea I am thinking they might move. MTP Daily to that slot and make Katy  Tur 2 hours between chuck and Nicolle. Put Joshua Johnson in at 5pm. 

That’s possible although Katy would still only have the 2pm hour if Chuck was at 1 and Nicole started at 3. Also why is Brian Williams co-anchoring with Katy? Possible move to afternoons so Shep Smith can take his spot if/when he join?

Edited by nydem2015

On 4/9/2020 at 10:57 PM, Drew said:

I agree with putting Joshua Johnson on at 5P, they can do what ever they want with Chuck, I certainly wouldn't miss MTP Daily.

Personal I think they should re-do the schedule to what I have below:

Deadline WH viewers are familiar with John Heilemann so that would be a easy change at 4P,  Joshua Johnson would be a refreshing change at 5P compared to MTP Daily,  regular viewers know and love Steve Kornacki and he filled in for Hardball so it makes since to put him at 7P,  moving Nicole Wallace to 8P would be great lead in to Rachel and she would bring in new viewers who don't normally watch MSNBC primetime,  and lastly, since Lawrence O'Donnell has indicated he would like to retire in early 2021 (post inauguration) moving Chris Hayes to 10P would help his ratings with Rachel becoming his lead in and since All In is geared towards younger viewers he would be more poised to achieve that and receive a nice ratings bump from Rachel. 

Leave Ari, Rachel and Brian where they are and the focus on stability and filling the open slots on the daytime schedule daily left open by Ali Velshi and prepare for Andrea Mitchell to retire. Give Chris Jansing an hour or 2, expand Stephanie Rhule's slot and figure out what you want to do with Katy Tur, Hallie Jackson and Craig Melvin going forward then fine tune the weekends so you can really compete. 

The schedule would be:

4P-John Heilemann 

5P-Joshua Johnson 

6P- Ari Melber

7P-Steve Kornacki

8P-Nicole Wallace

9P-Rachel Maddow

10P-Chris Hayes 

11P-Brian Williams 

Edited by JRogotzke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed NBC changed up the graphics they've been using for the COVID coverage, MSNBC included.

They look a lot more like the election graphics, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept this look full-time because its pretty sharp.

• Like 1

I have to wonder how many years Andrea Mitchell has left. She's been at MSNBC forever, just like Chris Matthews was before he retired. I'd hate to lose Lawrence as I like him as a lot. I've not heard anything about him hinting at retirement though.  

5 hours ago, Viper550 said:

Noticed NBC changed up the graphics they've been using for the COVID coverage, MSNBC included.

They look a lot more like the election graphics, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they kept this look full-time because its pretty sharp.

I agree, the new COVID graphics look great. The lower thirds are more soft and the open could easily be adapted to live rolling news, simply swap out the COVID pictures and insert pictures from news as it's happening (just like ABC News Australia's open) make other subtle changes to fit MSNBC day time and it would be awesome. I also like how they are doing the headlines with the graphics and new format for them, the headlines stand out way more than they have in recent years, adding a newsy feel to MSNBC daytime which has been lacking recently. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve only see. This graphic during the 7pm East/4 pacific broadcast of msnbc live decision 2020. 

I watch throughout the day and still only see coronavirus pandemic or nbc news graphics being used coming in and out of commercials during the msnbc live branded hours 

NBC News NOW has been simulcasting "MSNBC International" at 9PM tonight to cover the protests across the state, which is essentially MSNBC but the commercials are replaced with its own trailers. Which platform is this "international" variant available? Is it like made for viewers in Canada because I don't see other cable providers from other countries carrying MSNBC...

Edited by ref1997

On 5/31/2020 at 11:53 PM, ref1997 said:

NBC News NOW has been simulcasting "MSNBC International" at 9PM tonight to cover the protests across the state, which is essentially MSNBC but the commercials are replaced with its own trailers. Which platform is this "international" variant available? Is it like made for viewers in Canada because I don't see other cable providers from other countries carrying MSNBC...

I have only seen MSNBC International on cruise ships personally.

• 4 weeks later...

Is Kendis Gibson still on MSNBC??  I am not up early enough to watch him weekend mornings.  But his perspective and experience would be valuable during these times as well.  Plus considering the disaster that has occurred around ABC News and Barbara Fedida with Kendis, and many others, you would think MSNBC would have very publicly shown him support.  

Edited by LVForward
grammar

On 6/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, LVForward said:

Is Kendis Gibson still on MSNBC??  I am not up early enough to watch him weekend mornings.  But his perspective and experience would be valuable during these times as well.  Plus considering the disaster that has occurred around ABC News and Barbara Fedida with Kendis, and many others, you would think MSNBC would have very publicly shown him support.  

Kendis still hosts early morning weekends alongside Lindsey and Kori.