MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

She never got good ratings for two reasons:

1) Her time slot was also awkward -- She followed Chuck Todd and the last NBC News branded "straight news" program, and preceded Chris Matthews and all that is him. Her ability to be the merging point for those two just never materialized.

2) You also have to remember, some of the big breaking stories that have happened over the past six months either happened or was dropped by the print media between 4-6pm... and she just doesn't have the chops for breaking news. If you need an example, just remember Comey's firing day -- she had Dershowitz and some other person on, and they just weren't inspiring. I remember watching for maybe 10 minutes before dumping (reluctantly) to CNN.

I don't understand why MSNBC hired Greta. She isn't a good broadcaster.

I don't think this could be said enough. Outside of her weakness as a broadcaster, she has never had a good production value or (outside of the politicians) no good guests on any of her shows. Evem at FOX News, where your really don't need a good production team since the viewers are pretty damn loyal, her show seemed lackluster at best.

As others have said, if they slowly introduced her to MSNBC audiences over time, ala Nicole Wallace, maybe Greta would have done better. But they introduced her way too quickly. I think she would have done better with a primetime show on weekends.

Even in the deep forest that is weekend primetime, I think she would have suffered. She's a lawyer by trade, and she'd probably have been better off as either a legal contributor to Rachel (since they're friends and all) or even as a Legal Analyst alongside Ari Melber, the networks chief legal correspondent (who ironically is taking her slot).

It's neither all her fault nor all MSNBC. They both fucked up.

• Like 4

I don't understand why MSNBC hired Greta. She isn't a good broadcaster. Even during my previous life as a loyal Fox News watcher (I now turn to MSNBC for my cable news) I couldn't stand her. I found her annoying, her voice grating, her show sensationalist (focusing on Natalee Holloway for years), and her talking out of the corner of her mouth drives me crazy.

The book I'm reading about a former Fox News employee even mentions the fact that her show covered the Natalee Holloway disappearance way too much and some employees even joked that she was probably buying property in Aruba after constantly going there to do Holloway disappearance shows (the employee in question worked for Kimberly Guilfoyle's old weekend show, which was basically a carbon copy of Greta's weekday show but with big boobs, and he even said that true crime Nancy Grace-style programs never worked for Fox and they always ended up being pretty boring and repetitive).

She was a weird fit at Fox News and an even weirder fit at MSNBC from the times I watched her. I think, at the time, MSNBC was just happy to have someone who jumped ship at Fox due to the ongoing scandals there.

The book I'm reading about a former Fox News employee even mentions the fact that her show covered the Natalee Holloway disappearance way too much and some employees even joked that she was probably buying property in Aruba after constantly going there to do Holloway disappearance shows (the employee in question worked for Kimberly Guilfoyle's old weekend show, which was basically a carbon copy of Greta's weekday show but with big boobs, and he even said that true crime Nancy Grace-style programs never worked for Fox and they always ended up being pretty boring and repetitive).

She was a weird fit at Fox News and an even weirder fit at MSNBC from the times I watched her. I think, at the time, MSNBC was just happy to have someone who jumped ship at Fox due to the ongoing scandals there.

What book? I have the Fox Hole one but hasn't been read yet.

For what little I watched of Greta's show on Fox over the years (an amount that can be measured in minutes), she seemed more like a local TV anchor reporter from a mid-sized market than anything.

What book? I have the Fox Hole one but hasn't been read yet.

That's the book, it's a very good read!

For what little I watched of Greta's show on Fox over the years (an amount that can be measured in minutes), she seemed more like a local TV anchor reporter from a mid-sized market than anything.

She always felt like an analyst who they decided to give a major show. Pretty much what she was, wasn't she? I think she would have been better suited for providing analysis, and like it was mentioned before, start off on MSNBC just doing that and then eventually getting a show of her own, rather than giving her a full time slot.

MSNBC is bringing back On Assignment with Richard Engel. Features the same logo as the Dateline version. It looks to be a special series with the first episode on Friday 7 July at 9PM.

Ever so often MSNBC gives Richard Engel some airtime for his long form reports.

• Like 1

Where did you see the logo and press release?

Was wrong about the logos. The Dateline one was looking like a power outlet. But this one looked the camera aperture shutter.

I found out about the show via the 12AM rerun of Maddow.

I think, at the time, MSNBC was just happy to have someone who jumped ship at Fox due to the ongoing scandals there.

See a pattern yet?

Sam Champion

Josh Elliot

MK

Greta...

I'm sure there are more 'jumpers" that I missed..

Kill your career at NBC...but get paid a hell of a lot of cash.

The strategy has worked so far.

See a pattern yet?

Sam Champion

Josh Elliot

MK

Greta...

I'm sure there are more 'jumpers" that I missed..

Kill your career at NBC...but get paid a hell of a lot of cash.

The strategy has worked so far.

Kate Snow

Cynthia McFadden

.... oh wait, your theory isn't 100% proof.

• Like 1

I think the hope is that whoever NBC bring over will be a success tho they are okay with it not if it takes away from another network. I think they hope that Megan Kelly will be a ratings draw tho more then likely she won't and I would guess by the end of December she will either be out or on her way out and no one including Megan Kelly will be terribly surprised.

Kate Snow

Cynthia McFadden

.... oh wait, your theory isn't 100% proof.

• Like 1

What, no Maddow on Fridays?

"Special series" more often than not means a limited run. IMO.

Plus maybe they are starting to build up a new, different library of documentaries to run on weekend nights and finally retire "Lockup."

• Like 5

MSNBC is bringing back On Assignment with Richard Engel. Features the same logo as the Dateline version. It looks to be a special series with the first episode on Friday 7 July at 9PM.

Ever so often MSNBC gives Richard Engel some airtime for his long form reports.

The On Assignment newsmagazine had legs that NBC could work with. On Assignment on NBC did so much better then Megyn Kelly's newsmagazine. The problem is that NBC always wants to compete with 60 Minutes, they should give it up. There is only one 60 Minutes.

She never got good ratings for two reasons:

1) Her time slot was also awkward -- She followed Chuck Todd and the last NBC News branded "straight news" program, and preceded Chris Matthews and all that is him. Her ability to be the merging point for those two just never materialized.

2) You also have to remember, some of the big breaking stories that have happened over the past six months either happened or was dropped by the print media between 4-6pm... and she just doesn't have the chops for breaking news. If you need an example, just remember Comey's firing day -- she had Dershowitz and some other person on, and they just weren't inspiring. I remember watching for maybe 10 minutes before dumping (reluctantly) to CNN.

I don't think this could be said enough. Outside of her weakness as a broadcaster, she has never had a good production value or (outside of the politicians) no good guests on any of her shows. Evem at FOX News, where your really don't need a good production team since the viewers are pretty damn loyal, her show seemed lackluster at best.

Even in the deep forest that is weekend primetime, I think she would have suffered. She's a lawyer by trade, and she'd probably have been better off as either a legal contributor to Rachel (since they're friends and all) or even as a Legal Analyst alongside Ari Melber, the networks chief legal correspondent (who ironically is taking her slot).

It's neither all her fault nor all MSNBC. They both fucked up.

Greta is a weak broadcaster, she worked at Fox News cause she was not threatening and she had that twang which appealed to a certain audience.

She was placed in a bad time slot, the 6:00 time slot is the worse time slot in cable news. No show that is on the 6:00 hour does well on MSNBC. I am surprised Al Sharpton's show did as well as it did. Cable newsers are competing against evening news and evening news brings in millions of viewers a night. Greta had no chance and also she probably left cause she knew trouble was brewing with the scandals and she did not want to be a apart of it.

• Like 1

The On Assignment newsmagazine had legs that NBC could work with. On Assignment on NBC did so much better then Megyn Kelly's newsmagazine. The problem is that NBC always wants to compete with 60 Minutes, they should give it up. There is only one 60 Minutes.

Greta is a weak broadcaster, she worked at Fox News cause she was not threatening and she had that twang which appealed to a certain audience.

She was placed in a bad time slot, the 6:00 time slot is the worse time slot in cable news. No show that is on the 6:00 hour does well on MSNBC. I am surprised Al Sharpton's show did as well as it did. Cable newsers are competing against evening news and evening news brings in millions of viewers a night. Greta had no chance and also she probably left cause she knew trouble was brewing with the scandals and she did not want to be a apart of it.

Maybe it was because her show sucked, and no thought or planning was involved in her show. It was like hey NBC has Greta, and we can just throw a show on and people will watch at 6 pm. I agree she was up against a lot of stiff competition, but her show sucked from day one it aired.

"Knock Knock..."

"Who's there?"

"Leah Remini and the folks from A&E...with a suitcase full of cash..."

To be continued... hopefully.

This is the one thing I never, ever understood about her. How you can be someone claiming to be a journalist and a Scientologist, I have no idea...

• Like 3

This is the one thing I never, ever understood about her. How you can be someone claiming to be a journalist and a Scientologist, I have no idea...

I'm asking myself if I would find her credible presenting the subject somehow.

Is that something one just 'dabbles" in?

Gotta admit I would watch, but could I give her a fair shake if she was defending or supporting?

I don't know either.

• Like 3

I'm asking myself if I would find her credible presenting the subject somehow.

Is that something one just 'dabbles" in?

Gotta admit I would watch, but could I give her a fair shake if she was defending or supporting?

I don't know either.

I am pretty sure she's a practicing Scientologist. She dresses just like one on TV. I don't know if you've ever been in the area around headquarters, but you will see them all over there, all wearing those very neat, tightly-outfitted black suits with white or blue button-ups underneath. Greta also supposedly has a house in Clearwater, which is where a lot of those upper crust Scientologists have their houses too, indicating that she's probably pretty high up in the church. What is odd though is that she has kept it all very hush hush unlike any other celebrity Scientologists, and her sister is a psychiatrist, aka "a practitioner of death" or something...

But with all that said, I can't imagine her leaving the church anytime soon, let alone being anywhere near Leah Remini.

• Like 3

Subheadline for that story:

One America News Network has been floated as a possible landing spot.

And I'm sure all 12 viewers will love her.

Seriously though, where is OANN even available? I've never seen it included in any cable package or even on hotel TVs which seem to sometimes have random and weird channels (for instance, I've been in hotels in New York and London that both carried the American RT feed, but I think even the Kremlin's very own is more popular than OAN).

• Like 1