MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

I wish MSNBC would adopt the MSNBC Live logo from sports events as the main logo for the channel. Also give The Point an actual logo since they promote it differently then MSNBC Live.

I'm speculating here but Lawrence O'Donnell missed The Last Word three days this week. The first was on Monday where he was in Boston taping an interview with Senator Elizabeth Warren but was bumped for the Manchester Bombing breaking news. The interview played out on Tuesday with him hosting from Boston.

[MEDIA=twitter]866834219472957440[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]867193654678605824[/MEDIA]

On Wednesday they had Ari Melber fill in and Thursday Joy Reid filled in. He tweeted that he was in Boston covering the Harvard Graduaton and Zuckerbergs speech:

[MEDIA=twitter]868179623917625348[/MEDIA]

And this Friday night he is broadcasting from Boston.

He also missed other days during May sweeps with Joy and Ari as his primary fill in. This seems highly unusual for someone with a contract expiring on June 4. Could this be a power play by Lawrence to show the MSNBC executives how his absences affect ratings? Or could this be MSNBC testing the waters to see if the ratings hold for Ari and Joy to see if the show could survive without Lawrence?

• Like 1

He also missed other days during May sweeps with Joy and Ari as his primary fill in. This seems highly unusual for someone with a contract expiring on June 4. Could this be a power play by Lawrence to show the MSNBC executives how his absences affect ratings? Or could this be MSNBC testing the waters to see if the ratings hold for Ari and Joy to see if the show could survive without Lawrence?

Would Andy Lack even consider Ari and/or Joy as a replacement (if it even came down to that), or just give the 10pm hour to BriWi without any question or thought?

Even as they have performed admirably as fill-ins - no doubt aided largely by Lumpy's slow-mo implosion - with the ratings proof for all to see, Lack is certainly lacking in foresight for the network.

• Like 1

Would Andy Lack even consider Ari and/or Joy as a replacement (if it even came down to that), or just give the 10pm hour to BriWi without any question or thought?

Even as they have performed admirably as fill-ins - no doubt aided largely by Lumpy's slow-mo implosion - with the ratings proof for all to see, Lack is certainly lacking in foresight for the network.

As you know I'm a big fan of BriWi but I love that the shows on at 11PM. It's a great alternative to the other networks that are in reruns and beats Don Lemon. I think the show needs to stay put because it's a great place to get immediate analysis from news articles that just went online for the next day's print addition. Additionally they seem to have gotten contributor contracts of many of the people breaking the news.

As for Lawrence I don't know how to describe it but while his show is undoubtedly liberal and opinion focused there is something else that only he can bring to the table. Maybe it's the fact that he was a congressional aide and then senior advisor role to the late Senator Patrick Moynihan. Later he served as staff director for two different Senate committees the first being the Committee on Enviroment and Public Work and later the committee Committee on Finance. With that type of expierience he knows what he's talking about rather than many of the other opinion hosts on MSNBC and other networks. Then he has some show biz expierience writing sixteen episodes of The West Wing, either produced or co produced 23 episodes, consulted on 44 episodes, the executive producer for 22 and won an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series. Finally he can frequently get his point across eloquently without resorting to the average cable news tactics.

And yet we haven't heard from Lawrence O'Donnell and there are five days to go. Maybe with Phil sticking around Lawrence will stay as the show launched under his watch.

• Like 5

Lawrence just informally announced at the end of the show tonight that he has re signed with MSNBC and The Last Word will continue.

I had a feeling this would ultimately happen. I believe all of the leaks and rumors over the past month were the two sides trying to get negotiating leverage.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a pretty big screw up of the first repeat of the Wednesday June 15 episode The Rachel Maddow show. Apparently the repeat that went out at 12AM ET Thursday/ 9PM PT Wednesday aired the wrong A block. According to TVNewser it appeared that they played out the episode from May 15. Apparently master control immediately noticed the mistake but waited for the first break in the program to fix it..

• Like 1

quick question on MSNBC programing- Does MSNBC air a east and west coast feed? Or is it just the one, where the prime time shows are shifted 3 hours? If that is the case, the 11th Hour which airs 11pm EDT would be airing at 8pm out west, correct?

The cable news networks do not have time shifted "west coast" feeds... No one wants to watch breaking news coverage time shifted three hours.

The west coast is why they re-air primetime shows. And yes, The 11th Hour airs live at 8pm in the Pacific time zone.

The cable news networks do not have time shifted "west coast" feeds... No one wants to watch breaking news coverage time shifted three hours.

The west coast is why they re-air primetime shows. And yes, The 11th Hour airs live at 8pm in the Pacific time zone.

You would think they would at least fix the rebroadcast scheduling for their primetime shows (Hayes, Maddow, O'Donnell, Williams). Is there even a need to air reruns of The 11th Hour twice at 2am and 4am Eastern time?

• Like 1

A half-hour at 8am? That's weird. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it at 7:30, and push "First Business" up to 7am?

Unless the plan calls for half-hour block shows - including those two - between 7am and 9am...

That article also references something I apparently missed when it happened: Lockup was canceled, its 25th season being its last.

I thought I posted it elsewhere on this thread. But in any event, that's why Lockup (along with any other evergreen taped docs they've run in the past) is in the process of being eased off of the lineup completely.