MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

Lawrence O'Donnell's future is uncertain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lawrence-odonnell-msnbc-future_us_59162d8ce4b00f308cf5534a?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

I think letting Lawrence walk would be a huge mistake. Some liberals out there are already whining about MSNBC's shift from liberal commentating to centrist news reporting during daytime. Giving Nicole Wallace a show and letting Lawrence walk won't please MSNBC fans

• Like 2

Lawrence O'Donnell's future is uncertain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lawrence-odonnell-msnbc-future_us_59162d8ce4b00f308cf5534a?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

I think letting Lawrence walk would be a huge mistake. Some liberals out there are already whining about MSNBC's shift from liberal commentating to centrist news reporting during daytime. Giving Nicole Wallace a show and letting Lawrence walk won't please MSNBC fans

I really never liked him. He's too far left for me.

I'd like to see Brian move to 6pm. Seems like the appropriate time for a news show. Greta can move to 10pm.

I think Chris Hayes should've been the one to go instead of Lawrence, but oh well.

• Like 2

I'd like to see Brian move to 6pm. Seems like the appropriate time for a news show. Greta can move to 10pm.

I think Chris Hayes should've been the one to go instead of Lawrence, but oh well.

Would they REALLY want Brian Williams to have a regularly scheduled hour directly opposite the ET feed of the NBC Nightly News?

As for Greta, it seems like she's not getting any ratings traction. Yes, she's a definite improvement over Mark Haplrin, but yodeling camels wearing kilts would have been a definite improvement over Mark Haplrin.

Would they REALLY want Brian Williams to have a regularly scheduled hour directly opposite the ET feed of the NBC Nightly News?

As for Greta, it seems like she's not getting any ratings traction. Yes, she's a definite improvement over Mark Haplrin, but yodeling camels wearing kilts would have been a definite improvement over Mark Haplrin.

Putting BriWi at 6pm would extend the daypart hours to 6pm (the NBC News branding ends with MTP Daily), so there's the Andy Luck thing of bringing the news back to the channel.

As for Greta, she does struggle in both delivery and lead-in, but in all fairness, it's probably the softest place they could put her -- against the third daily hour of Wolf Blitzer on CNN, and whatever is over there on Fox. Putting her at either 10 or 11pm would garner the same results either the first or second hour of CNN's Lemonade Tonight or at 10, against Sean Hannity, something she probably wants to avoid.

• Like 1

And supposedly they are gonna get rid of lawrence to kiss the trump ring?

According to the Variety article, MSNBC is publicly stating that they want to keep him. But this paragraph tho:

Recent press reports have suggested that MSNBC might be looking to part ways with O’Donnell and open his 10 p.m. hour to a new host. But one of the people familiar with the discussions suggested that speculation might be the result of one of the parties trying to sway negotiations. The reports, this person suggested, might best be viewed as “a new twist on an old game of chicken.”

Considering how well Laurence O'Donnell has done in the 25-54 money demo of late, I'd say this game of "chicken" involves trying to outrun a speeding train with a sports car.

Jeez, is Andy Lack intent on taking MSNBC to a new part of the political spectrum? Is Rachel Maddow not critical of Trump to him? Being critical of Trump isn't even a fire-able offense on Fox News (Shepard Smith would have been gone months ago if that was the case). It doesn't make any sense given that their progressive programming has been bringing in more ratings.

• Like 2

The title of that article is very misleading though... Not sure why that site still has it up... Nowhere has it been confirmed that the show is cancelled and the latest per Brian Stelter's newsletter tonight is that O'Donnell's agent has yet to hear of MSNBC's intentions but MSNBC executives are saying that they want to keep the show on the air.

• Like 1

Yeah, that article was posted yesterday. NBC denied it today and said that they're still working through negotiations. It is by no means official.

I still don't know how they're going to get out of this though. The smart money is on keeping your talent that have huge ratings right now. I can't help but think that Andy Lack hasn't really evolved his programming strategy for MSNBC beyond 1996 if he thinks Brian Williams is the future of the channel.

• Like 1

The title of that article is very misleading though... Not sure why that site still has it up... Nowhere has it been confirmed that the show is cancelled and the latest per Brian Stelter's newsletter tonight is that O'Donnell's agent has yet to hear of MSNBC's intentions but MSNBC executives are saying that they want to keep the show on the air.

I hope you're right, for Andy Lack's sake.

This story could be part of the not-so-internal PR war on Laurence's part. (Think about it: an unsubstantiated story goes up just before his show hits the air, and the ratings get driven up higher. You can't say Laurence is behind this, but he does know how to play the game.)

I'm not Lawrence's biggest fan, but it would be stupid to get rid of him. He's getting high ratings and letting him go would create hysteria on the part of MSNBC's viewers because they'd view it as MSNBC being too afraid to stand up to the administration.

I hope all this noise is simply a negotiating ploy

• Like 1

Yeah, that article was posted yesterday. NBC denied it today and said that they're still working through negotiations. It is by no means official.

I still don't know how they're going to get out of this though. The smart money is on keeping your talent that have huge ratings right now. I can't help but think that Andy Lack hasn't really evolved his programming strategy for MSNBC beyond 1996 if he thinks Brian Williams is the future of the channel.

He should keep Lawrence O'Donnell and axe Brian Williams 11pm spot to put in a open panel unrated discussion show.

I have been hearing a rumor that Lack wants to give Brian Williams a primetime spot. That is very stupid, cause Williams is damaged goods and lucky to still be working. Williams is a ticking time bomb and all that Lack cares about is getting more juice out of Williams. All that Lack should care about is trying to put Williams into retirement the next few years.

Lack has a diversity issue he is hiring all these white bread hosts but once the election rolls around the diverse electorate is going to come back into full force again. He needs diverse hosts, he should steal someone like Angela Rye on CNN who is very smart and great for television.

This next election is going to be election for the millenials and MSNBC does not have the pulse of millenials who is going to be a predominant group in the next four years.

• Like 1

Nicole Wallace is cool. I am happy for her. Stephanie Ruhle, she is cool, like her show, passionate and can host her own business show on MSNBC.

Am I the only who thinks that Hallie Jackson is a little overrated? I like Hallie but at the same time I think her fast rise is getting inside her head.

She has been given a big push but I was listening to her the other day and she has a motor mouth.She works so much, she must be on speed. She talked way to fast and her story was all over the place. I don't think she is ready for primetime. Needs to go back to being a White House Correspondent before getting a show.

What happened to Morgan Radford? She is intelligent and speaks very calmly. Lack should put her on tv. He has a serious lack of diversity issues on MSNBC.

• Like 1

Nicole Wallace is cool. I am happy for her. Stephanie Ruhle, she is cool, like her show, passionate and can host her own business show on MSNBC.

Am I the only who thinks that Hallie Jackson is a little overrated? I like Hallie but at the same time I think her fast rise is getting inside her head.

She has been given a big push but I was listening to her the other day and she has a motor mouth.She works so much, she must be on speed. She talked way to fast and her story was all over the place. I don't think she is ready for primetime. Needs to go back to being a White House Correspondent before getting a show.

I don't mind Hallie. I want to know what's so special about Katy Tur? If Craig is off, she subs for him. If Chuck is off, she subs him. She's on more often than everyone else @ MSNBC and is the absolute worst. Is there no one else who can take on more work/responsibility (Ali, Peter, etc..) besides her? She just awful beyond belief.

• Like 1

I don't mind Hallie. I want to know what's so special about Katy Tur? If Craig is off, she subs for him. If Chuck is off, she subs him. She's on more often than everyone else @ MSNBC and is the absolute worst. Is there no one else who can take on more work/responsibility (Ali, Peter, etc..) besides her? She just awful beyond belief.

Katy Tur got her career started by dating Keith Olbermann. Peter Alexander ocassionally fills in and sometimes Kristen Welker.

The one person I don't mind seeing on MSNBC is Harris Faulkner from Fox, she seems like a decent journalist who is just doing what she has to do. I don't get a radical nut job vibe from her like the loons on Fox.

• Like 1

Katie Tur was the MSNBC embed for Trump's campaign. Typically, the embed for the winning campaign will get the Chief WH gig. I assume, since she got the attention from the then candidate while on the trail, and since the broadcast network embed (Hallie) got the chief WH gig, they found a way to give her more visibility vis-a-vis, during prime daytime hours, and of course on the leading political show of the day, MTP Daily.

• Like 2