MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

From the vantage point of someone inside the industry, it appears as though MSNBC is trying for this: personality-driven "angles" on the news of the day. Allow me to explain...

Ali Velshi is now the face of business news at the network, Hallie Jackson is the face of on-site political coverage, Morning Joe is the face(s) of insidery-ish government dealings, Greta will be the face of legal coverage, Andrea Mitchell is the face of foreign affairs, and so on... with BriWi at the helm of it all (kind of). Several different angles and vantage points on the dominant political story of a generation: Trump's governance.

That's what Phil Griffin is going for, and it seems to be working, albeit for the jacked-up scheduling and random appearances on air.

• Like 3

From the vantage point of someone inside the industry, it appears as though MSNBC is trying for this: personality-driven "angles" on the news of the day. Allow me to explain...

Ali Velshi is now the face of business news at the network, Hallie Jackson is the face of on-site political coverage, Morning Joe is the face(s) of insidery-ish government dealings, Greta will be the face of legal coverage, Andrea Mitchell is the face of foreign affairs, and so on... with BriWi at the helm of it all (kind of). Several different angles and vantage points on the dominant political story of a generation: Trump's governance.

That's what Phil Griffin is going for, and it seems to be working, albeit for the jacked-up scheduling and random appearances on air.

How come Maddow didn't get a special angle?

Can I make one up for her?????

• 2 weeks later...

MSNBC truly seems prepared to move forward with a good mix of news and opinion. The mix of Joe/Mika & Greta with Chris Matthews & Rachel, as well as Lawrence. The former road warriors in their new positions further enhance the news operation. I think we now see a truly "Fair & Balanced" cable news channel. Now, hopefully, the viewers will give MSNBC a chance and ratings will soar.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Does MSNBC do primetime weeknight news updates? Is Melissa rehberger still there? I don't regularly watch primetime on MSNBC much but when I do I haven't see it lately

Yeah, she's normally seen sometime during Hardball and The Last Word.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Monday Newsblues.com 2.27.2017

Former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson is thisclose to signing a deal with MSNBC. Business Insiderreports that "Carlson's deal had not yet been finalized, but [is] nearing completion." has denied the report.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gretchen-carlson-in-talks-to-join-msnbc-sources-say-2017-2?dg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
MSNBC is getting all the FOX anchors they want! Wowza! Maybe MSNBC will be #2 soon?

With Rachel Maddow doing pretty well in the ratings lately from what I've heard, and the way the political climate is today and the types of presenters they bring on, MSNBC could very well be in the right position to do better than they used to. Certainly among left-leaning viewers, but as a friend suggested when we were discussing Megyn Kelly's move to NBC (and I'm sure she'll make appearances on MSNBC as well, if she doesn't get her own show again eventually), maybe even among centrists and moderate Republicans with the addition of a few former FNC personalities.

• Like 2

Nicolle Wallace to take over 4 pm hosting duties in May; Steve Kornacki to continue to contribute to 4 pm hour:

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/nicole-wallace-to-host-msnbcs-4-p-m-show/327974

I'm happy for Nicole. Getting fired from The View seems to have been the best thing for her. She's smart and personable. Additionally she's the type of conservative that is not obnoxious (out of those on TV) and is able make you understand her perspective.

Don't forget Michael Savage also had a short-lived show on MSNBC back when they were trying to do programming to the right of Fox News.

And don't forget, Tucker Carlson even had a show on MSNBC from 2005 to 2008. Even he admitted "They didn't have a role for me" after they changed the programming to include mostly liberal commentators.

Hugh Hewitt has an "aww shucks" demeanor and is a Republican apologist through-and-through. I can't see any sort of intrinsic value to putting him on the lineup.

MSNBC may use the "balance" argument, but that comes at risk of further alienating their existing progressive viewer base.

Just... why...

IMG_1552.JPG

• Like 1

I just can not see this happening... Out of all the conservatives msnbc has, they may give a show to the person who will likely alienate their base the most. It's the equivalent of Fox News putting Keith Olbermann on weekends, it wouldn't make sense. Also, I can tell you now no one Dem. or Rep. is going to watch that show. Someone tell Andy Lack it's not 1997 msnbc anymore.

MSNBC may use the "balance" argument, but that comes at risk of further alienating their existing progressive viewer base.

Just... why...

Their existing progressive viewer base? The one that has them in third place? Big whoop. I for one like the direction MSNBC is headed in.