MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

I wonder if MSNBC is mulling on bringing back Keith Olbermann to shake up the program.

If MSNBC thought Olbermann could generate even 1/100th of a ratings point then he would be on the air again with his tired shtick.

He is a giant liability, and nobody wants to have to defend him publicly anymore.

The only way he can get MSNBC to re-hire him would be under 2 conditions.

*He has to work for free.

* He has to keep his mouth shut.

• Like 1

Possibly the same thing with the same hacks, just on the NBC payroll?

In the immediate future, TV listings show an inconsistent rotation of MSNBC Live (presumably with Ari Melber, Steve Kornacki or Ali Velshi) and Hardball with Chris Matthews. Ultimately an NBC produced With All Due Respect program sounds possible and would be logical considering its one of the network's highest rated shows. Although another possibility in my opinion would be a permanent "Road Warriors" type show hosted by NBC News political correspondents discussing and analyzing the news and politics of the day.

• Like 2

I know it's been mentioned before, but I think the perfect replacement at 6pm would be THE NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS.

I'd love it but I don't think the network and affiliates want him going up against Lester. Brian was pretty popular and viewers could switch over. Plus if I remember The News with Brian Williams was a longer show but featured a lot of content from Nightly News.

Here's a promo saying it was "the best of NBC News in one hour".

When I flipped past MSNBC shortly after news broke of Fidel Castro's death, they had KNBC's Colleen Williams anchoring from the LA bureau. I know it was late on the Friday night of a holiday weekend, but how did the entire NBC News/MSNBC global organization not have anyone at the network level ready to go on camera?

Our Station is the #2 market. Plus you have to also think of time zones. It might be 6 pm in New York but it's 3 pm here and we are getting ready for the 4 pm slot so we have people ready for news and breaking news. It all depends on the time, money, and the staff. Although I will say its interesting someone from WNBC didn't do it.

I know it's been mentioned before, but I think the perfect replacement at 6pm would be THE NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS.

Be serious, nobody wants to watch Brian Williams. When he was demoted it was put in the contract that he can't have a slot where he competes indirectly with Nightly News.

Be serious, nobody wants to watch Brian Williams. When he was demoted it was put in the contract that he can't have a slot where he competes indirectly with Nightly News.

Why on earth would that clause be in his contract?

Think about that for a sec.....

Why on earth would that clause be in his contract?

Think about that for a sec.....

I don't know if such a clause exists but I could see why it would exist. After all even after his credibility went down the toilet, he was still pretty popular and the ratings were still strong. I think that'd be more of an issue early on as he went to MSNBC but a year later as Lester Holt is fully settled in, I don't see why that would be a problem.

All of that said, I think MSNBC will continue to go forward with Williams hosting at 11 while also anchoring rolling news coverage as warranted during the day.

Fox News is enjoying their ratings highs, as expected since a Republican won the White House. I wonder if MSNBC is mulling on bringing back Keith Olbermann to shake up the program.

Keith is doing video podcasts for GQ.

It's probably the best avenue for him: he gets total editorial control and no fixed length of time... the run times range between 5-10 minutes. He wouldn't have that degree of freedom anywhere else (while he HAD control of Countdown, I don't think that he enjoyed the task of having to fill an hour with airtime; that in itself begat the "Special Comment").

• 2 weeks later...

And he just won an Emmy, too!

From his Facebook page:

Friends,

I wanted you to hear directly from me…it is true I won't be keeping my current show weekdays on MSNBC. My last show was Thursday.

My colleagues are incredible people…and I am so proud of our team and our accomplishments. It is always a special blessing when co-workers become close friends and family. We achieved that bond and our hard work was recently honored by winning an Emmy in 2016 for Breaking News coverage of last year's Supreme Court decision on Marriage Equality. I can't thank my colleagues enough for years of their dedication to me and our show.

Also, a BIG thanks to the viewers who've been supporters of our coverage at MSNBC. Hearing from you (whether positive or negative) is always an important thing for me.

So what's next? Stay tuned!

In the meantime, I am going to be spending the holidays with my husband and family.

From our family to yours…

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays & Happy New Year,

-Thomas

• Like 1

A few things...

Be watching for a new 6PM show premiering sometime in Jan/Feb based out of DC.

Lots of buzz around Halperin subbing Monday and Tuesday on MJFL, but only temporary for the holidays, so I hear.

Hayes, as of now, appears safe at 8PM. Ratings aren't terrible and typically beat Anderson in the slot. A possible switch-a-roo could occur with Hayes, O'Donnell, and Williams could come in the Spring.

Look for an expansion of news and "Originals" on the weekends in 2017, built around Thomas Roberts.

A few things...

Be watching for a new 6PM show premiering sometime in Jan/Feb based out of DC.

Lots of buzz around Halperin subbing Monday and Tuesday on MJFL, but only temporary for the holidays, so I hear.

Hayes, as of now, appears safe at 8PM. Ratings aren't terrible and typically beat Anderson in the slot. A possible switch-a-roo could occur with Hayes, O'Donnell, and Williams could come in the Spring.

Look for an expansion of news and "Originals" on the weekends in 2017, built around Thomas Roberts.

Buffy News Buffy Come back to me...

• Like 2

Meanwhile, seems like corporate higher-ups hope to move Brian Williams to a better timeslot than 11pm.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/12/brian-williams-quietly-conquering-late-night?mbid=social_twitter

Where would Brian logically go? 11pm is probably the only timeslot where he can't compete with Nightly News. Unless the plan is to eventually loosen that provision because he wouldn't pose much of a threat...

• Like 1

Where would Brian logically go? 11pm is probably the only timeslot where he can't compete with Nightly News. Unless the plan is to eventually loosen that provision because he wouldn't pose much of a threat...

Part of Andrew Lack's plan to rehab Brian Williams image. It won't work cause he is already a laughtng stock and Fox News continues to kick their ass.

• Like 1

I feel that him not being able to compete against NN is a rumor. I've read it nowhere else but here In this thread.

• Like 2

Here is a link from the Daily Caller with sources saying Greta is going to MSNBC to take the vacant 6pm slot...

http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/28/greta-van-susteren-slips-into-msnbc-6-p-m-time-spot/

As stated earlier... some details: expect a show equal parts politics and legal stuff, expect to see a lot of Ari Melber during legal stuff, expect some synergy and a lot of cross-promo between network side and cable side.