MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

I the only things that might be changed next year is the 6pm hour (no need for another political show after MTP Daily) and 8pm because of Chris Hayes lousy ratings . Maddow gets really good ratings and she is their flagship show, she's not going anywhere. Plus O'Donnell gets decent ratings at 10pm so I think he'll be staying around.

But the thing is, Hayes' ratings are not that bad anymore and much of the replacement talk appears to have subsided. His show is pretty competitive with AC360 ratings-wise of late.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think Hayes comes off as an arrogant try-hard? He acts like he's a young guy (he's only 37!) that knows he's made it big on cable news with his own show and like he's the next thing since Cronkite. Hell he's had his own show since he was only 32. Seems like he's had a very very very lucky career.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What are they going to do with the brand new 4th Floor studio? Seems odd to have a set duplicating a real set that's upstairs?

Dennis Degan has shared some pics of the renovated set on Flickr:

[MEDIA=flickr]30298348046[/MEDIA]

This really is a headscratcher. The previous set in 3K was beautiful and much more appropriate for the several shows that came from it, and WNBC's 3C set looked much more polished than the current version in 3K.

It is. I understand the need for WNBC to have a bigger studio as you can see the studio was cramped.

I almost feel like this maybe a temporary studio for MSNBC to get them through the election. Or NBC simply wants to use all those vertical monitors until they die as they were over six figures a piece when the studio was built.

The shot blocking is also really weird. I would either have the host use the background of the vertical monitor walls and shoot the guests against the other vertical monitor wall. It looks a bit sloppy with the host having one background and the guests with another oddly video wall shaped wall. Additionally the video wall they added to 3C looks like they didn't bother calibrating the monitors to one another - they appear to have different settings.

I would also have gotten a high resolution backdrop of the fourth floor newsroom as it's not that crisp. Or they should just rely on one of the cameras WNBC uses for the virtual window.

It's like MSNBC or 30 Rock has this budget for set design and doesn't know what to do with it. In the past year they debuted the Brian William'a cube in 3A, expanded its weather center, added LED video tiles to its wall (while neglecting another wall), they move into another glassed in studio on the fourth floor along with actually going into the open newsroom and now they debut this.

• Like 1

It's like MSNBC or 30 Rock has this budget for set design and doesn't know what to do with it. In the past year they debuted the Brian William'a cube in 3A, expanded its weather center, added LED video tiles to its wall (while neglecting another wall), they move into another glassed in studio on the fourth floor along with actually going into the open newsroom and now they debut this.

I just can't piece together the logic of mothballing the beautiful 3A newsroom for the already dated 4th floor newsroom, and then several months later seemingly abandon that for a weird simulation of the 4th floor in a modified WNBC set...The only thing I can think of is possibly Nightly News moving up to 4th?

I just can't piece together the logic of mothballing the beautiful 3A newsroom for the already dated 4th floor newsroom, and then several months later seemingly abandon that for a weird simulation of the 4th floor in a modified WNBC set...The only thing I can think of is possibly Nightly News moving up to 4th?

That "Beautiful 3A newsroom" is nearing 10 years old... It's also hogging a lot of valuable studio space, which is at a premium at NBC NY. You can put a newsroom anywhere but you can't really put a TV studio anywhere (else you end up with the closet sized "Studio" 7E WNBC had).

I predict something big is planned for 3A next year. And moving Nightly might be part of that too. I also have had this sneaking suspicion that the 4th floor newsroom studio was supposed to be the modern day equivalent of Studio 5HN, the "instant news" studio NBC used to have on the 5th floor right off the newsroom where things like the bulletins about the Kennedy assassination originated. I feel like when we're all done here, that studio will be Brian's new glass bubble and not a "full time" MSNBC studio.

That "Beautiful 3A newsroom" is nearing 10 years old... It's also hogging a lot of valuable studio space, which is at a premium at NBC NY. You can put a newsroom anywhere but you can't really put a TV studio anywhere (else you end up with the closet sized "Studio" 7E WNBC had).

I predict something big is planned for 3A next year. And moving Nightly might be part of that too. I also have had this sneaking suspicion that the 4th floor newsroom studio was supposed to be the modern day equivalent of Studio 5HN, the "instant news" studio NBC used to have on the 5th floor right off the newsroom where things like the bulletins about the Kennedy assassination originated. I feel like when we're all done here, that studio will be Brian's new glass bubble and not a "full time" MSNBC studio.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense! I'm just impressed that 3A has remained attractive over the past 9 years, compared to CBS News over the same period. MSNBC has long held the most cohesive visual identity in cable news, so I guess the current phase of studio limbo just seems especially awkward, relatively speaking.

I agree with the fact that 3A needs to be updated or replaced given its age.

However I think they may have more in store for the 4TH floor studio than being an "instant news" studio. Sure it would come in handy being right on the floor but the added technology makes me think they plan on using it for regular use. The video walls inside the glass enclosure and outside the floor as a whole would be a waste if it wasn't going to get regular use.

• Like 1

New sets, new stations,new radars, new choppers, and storm buggys 4 all.

Expect the money faucet to close up real soon....like Nov. the 9th.

Yes, the Revolution starts on the 9th, but advertisers my be a bit slow on the up-take with new civil war ads. Shoes and electronics do well during civil wars.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I flipped past MSNBC shortly after news broke of Fidel Castro's death, they had KNBC's Colleen Williams anchoring from the LA bureau. I know it was late on the Friday night of a holiday weekend, but how did the entire NBC News/MSNBC global organization not have anyone at the network level ready to go on camera?

• Like 3

It could be part of Colleen's contract to have a supporting role during the holidays. But Colleen has done special reports in the past for NBC News. She anchored breaking news coverage during the 96 Olympics.

• Like 6

When I flipped past MSNBC shortly after news broke of Fidel Castro's death, they had KNBC's Colleen Williams anchoring from the LA bureau. I know it was late on the Friday night of a holiday weekend, but how did the entire NBC News/MSNBC global organization not have anyone at the network level ready to go on camera?

Have any video?

It's a 4 day weekend and NBC did have someone ready....she was just on the west coast. You have talent, techs,producers and writers still on the clock in L.A. when the story broke....while NYC has maybe one person manning the phones at 2am on a Saturday morning.

Money is tight now, so it means nothing special that a late breaking story is handled by L.A.

• Like 2

It could be part of Colleen's contract to have a supporting role during the holidays. But Colleen has done special reports in the past for NBC News. She anchored breaking news coverage during the 96 Olympics.

That was different. Colleen was on scene covering the Olympics in Atlanta for KNBC when the bombings took place.

• Like 1

It's a 4 day weekend and NBC did have someone ready....she was just on the west coast. You have talent, techs,producers and writers still on the clock in L.A. when the story broke....while NYC has maybe one person manning the phones at 2am on a Saturday morning.

Money is tight now, so it means nothing special that a late breaking story is handled by L.A.

Reminds me of when Paul Magers reported Muhammad Ali's death (also on a Friday night) from the KCBS newsroom. I think we have gotten so accustomed to see big stores reported out of NYC. Lets not forget LA is the #2 market. Colleen has been at KNBC for over 30 years and spent a few years at KCBS prior to going to KNBC. I didn't see her reporting, but I'm confident she did just fine. I usually watch her every night and respect her abilities.

I didn't think it really warranted its own thread, so I thought I'd put it here. Who knows, maybe it'll lead to shakeups later. Anyway, MSNBC is now rating lower than Hallmark Channel. http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2016/11/17/msnbc-ratings-fall-behind-the-hallmark-channel

Fox News is enjoying their ratings highs, as expected since a Republican won the White House. I wonder if MSNBC is mulling on bringing back Keith Olbermann to shake up the program.