MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

Mediaite wrote an article saying JJ Ramberg is the longest running female anchor on MSNBC for ten years and the second longest anchor after Chris Matthews. JJ Ramberg hosts Your Business which is a sponsored show by American Express and airs at 7:30 Sunday mornings. I wonder how long the show would last on air if it wasn't sponsored by AmEx and what kind of ratings it brings in.

I assume it has the same arrangement as CNBC had with dLife for a few years, where that company produced a show about living with diabetes that aired Sunday nights until the current regime came in to change around their Prime schedule and wanted the time for their own. dLife still airs on the web, so I assume like "Your Business" it maintained a diehard and loyal audience and dependable advertisers week to week, and Sunday mornings are basically MSNBC's time to try to not compete hard with NBC due to "Sunday Today" and "Meet the Press", thus "Your Business" and their most wonky news shows are geared to a niche, but loyal audience.

"Your Business" has certainly outlasted all of those lousy "pay-for-play" three-minute paid placement shows where companies had Terry Bradshaw or another old athlete promote a business that cable news was lousy with in the 2000's (my bank did one of those fluff-filled profiles with Bradshaw and it was a complete 'what are you doing with our deposits?!' moment).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing happened on Morning Joe this Morning, as they were going to break at around 9:40 (mika was talking) joe got a call from MSNBC president Phil Griffin, joe announced this on air saying something on the lines of "our boss Phil Griffin is calling, are we fired." He then picked up the phone and told phil that "were live on the air." Bizzare moment, i assume phil didnt realize that morning joe ends at 10 when they are at the convention.

He had his phone with him on set? Weird.

Most of the hosts and guests at the table have their phones with them on desk for social media, texting family and producers during break. Probably 99% percent of the time they are good at silencing the phones but once in a while you will hear a text message or breaking news alert go through. I haven't heard a cell phone go off for a call in ages.

Also around midnight MSNBC will have a special edition of SNL Weekend Update from the convention.

Do we know who will be taking over the 1pm when Craig takes over 10am from Jose? Also after the election do you think MSNBC will actually bring back a logo for MSNBC Live?

Do we know who will be taking over the 1pm when Craig takes over 10am from Jose? Also after the election do you think MSNBC will actually bring back a logo for MSNBC Live?

I believe Thomas Roberts does the 1pm slot then Kate Snow takes over at 3pm. I get the feeling that one of those female political reporters will be promoted to either White House Correspondent or host after the election.

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whem this started (possibly during the conventions) but Way Too Early has been extended to an hour long starting at 5AM replacing First Look. Last week the show appeared to be singled headed but today it was double headed with Betty Nguyen and Louis Bergdorf. Betty appears to have broadcast from the glass cube in 3A and Louis came from the new newsroom in fourth floor.

Betty has been the anchor for Early Today for two years and Louis Bergdorf's role has expanded over the years. Originally Louis was a producer who Joe and Mika referred to him as Male Model Louis since he appeared in one or two national advertisements. They started sending Louis to certain red carpet events to interview celebrities and most recently he has done some lighter segments during Way Too Early. I believe Louis also directed and produced some of Mornimg Joe's long form advertisements that are about two minutes long.

It's due to the olympics. Early today on nbc is not shown due to Olympic coverage so no first look. They have done this for years. In the past they would show repeats from prime time.

MSNBC is reportedly going to give Brian Williams a half-hour show at 11pm through Election Day.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/15/media/brian-williams-msnbc-time-slot/index.html

They seem to be testing the waters by having him host late in the evening, following the primetime lineup. Could this be a precursor to him becoming a daily program? We'll see...

• Like 1

MSNBC is reportedly going to give Brian Williams a half-hour show at 11pm through Election Day.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/15/media/brian-williams-msnbc-time-slot/index.html

They seem to be testing the waters by having him host late in the evening, following the primetime lineup. Could this be a precursor to him becoming a daily program? We'll see...

They are still trying to do the redemption story with him. He is damaged beyond belief, anything that he says becomes a meme. Why can't they bring back Keith Olbermann, he is needed especially with this heavy election cycle.

• Like 1

They are still trying to do the redemption story with him. He is damaged beyond belief, anything that he says becomes a meme. Why can't they bring back Keith Olbermann, he is needed especially with this heavy election cycle.

Now that's true comedy.

• Like 3

It's kind of odd that it would only be a half hour show and not a full hour

Yeah, even if the current primetime repeats are shifted by 30 minutes (Chris Hayes at 11:30, Rachel at 12:30, etc.) it just comes off as odd.

Or would they air a condensed "Hardball" rerun at 11:30?

• Like 3

Olbermann did not lie to people, he was fired for giving money to Democratic candidiates.

He was also fired/"resigned" because he was a pain in the ass to work for and to have as an employee. One of the industry magazines said he frequently insubordinated his superiors and that did not play well with the new or future owners (Comcast) management philosophy.

I thought he was a great liberal and broadcaster but wouldn't want to work for him. Now he's damaged goods.

Yeah, even if the current primetime repeats are shifted by 30 minutes (Chris Hayes at 11:30, Rachel at 12:30, etc.) it just comes off as odd.

Or would they air a condensed "Hardball" rerun at 11:30?

A condensed Hardball could be done - essentially taking the introductory segment, the round table and his closing segment. I'm not sure if they still do but they aired a 30 minute Best of on Saturday mornings.

He was also fired/"resigned" because he was a pain in the ass to work for and to have as an employee. One of the industry magazines said he frequently insubordinated his superiors and that did not play well with the new or future owners (Comcast) management philosophy.

I thought he was a great liberal and broadcaster but wouldn't want to work for him. Now he's damaged goods.

Most of that rep was earned pre-2000, and whilst it's clear he is somewhat of a perfectionist and has a vision of his own, to just dismiss all that as being "a pain in the ass" and "damaged goods" is very disingenuous. He saw out a 2 year contract at ESPN, and it was their mistake not to give him a new one, but I do think he is quite capable of producing great television if he can find a platform.

Now, maybe MSNBC would be a good place, or maybe, he should approach WNET in New York about producing a weekly broadcast to syndicate to public TV stations, but I would say he still has a future in broadcasting.

Most of that rep was earned pre-2000, and whilst it's clear he is somewhat of a perfectionist and has a vision of his own, to just dismiss all that as being "a pain in the ass" and "damaged goods" is very disingenuous. He saw out a 2 year contract at ESPN, and it was their mistake not to give him a new one, but I do think he is quite capable of producing great television if he can find a platform.

Now, maybe MSNBC would be a good place, or maybe, he should approach WNET in New York about producing a weekly broadcast to syndicate to public TV stations, but I would say he still has a future in broadcasting.

Umm no. An equal share was earned post-2000. He's burned bridges at ESPN, FSN, MSNBC, and CurrentTV. It's obvious HE is the problem. I think other's critiques of him are right on. ESPN was right to move on, and MSNBC would be stupid to give him another chance.

• Like 3

Umm no. An equal share was earned post-2000. He's burned bridges at ESPN, FSN, MSNBC, and CurrentTV. It's obvious HE is the problem. I think other's critiques of him are right on. ESPN was right to move on, and MSNBC would be stupid to give him another chance.

Let's be clear, the reason why ESPN didn't renew his contract a year ago was not because he was a headache but rather because it came as the network was trying to shed costs. By most accounts, he was a team player and didn't cause problems this go-around.

He may have Napalmed the bridge with ESPN back in 1998, but that got rebuilt, and he went back, first to ESPN Radio, then to ESPN 2. His departure last year was by all accounts, completely civil. Olbermann didn't burn the bridge with FSN, Rupert Murdoch did, he admitted as much. He may have burned the bridge with MSNBC when he left in 1999, but the 2011 departure doesn't seem to have been that bad, if MSNBC has approached him about coming back for a third time. As for Current TV, well it doesn't exist anymore, they fell apart because of bad management, and even Al Jazeera couldn't make a decent American channel out of the remnants, so who was most at fault there?

Sure, he has had his problems, and his arguments, but from the information I've seen, it's mostly been from the position of trying to do the right thing. Sometimes there's been some selfishness, but we're all guilty of that from time to time, and anybody who says they aren't guilty of that at times is lying through their teeth. Too much trust is put in gossip columns and unproven and unprovable stories that we should be very careful about believing. Remember, it takes two people to make an argument.

If MSNBC wanted Olbermann back they would have hired him this spring for the presidential election. Once the election is over ratings will go down big time for all the cable news channels and opinion programming suffers the most. Ever since Andy Lack came back and changed daytime to more news and less opinion the liberal primetime block kind of sticks out like a sore thump. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Williams or even Chris Jansing and Willie Geist are placed in primetime before this time next year.

If MSNBC wanted Olbermann back they would have hired him this spring for the presidential election. Once the election is over ratings will go down big time for all the cable news channels and opinion programming suffers the most. Ever since Andy Lack came back and changed daytime to more news and less opinion the liberal primetime block kind of sticks out like a sore thump. I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Williams or even Chris Jansing and Willie Geist are placed in primetime before this time next year.

I the only things that might be changed next year is the 6pm hour (no need for another political show after MTP Daily) and 8pm because of Chris Hayes lousy ratings . Maddow gets really good ratings and she is their flagship show, she's not going anywhere. Plus O'Donnell gets decent ratings at 10pm so I think he'll be staying around.

• Like 3