MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

NBC News and MSNBC are going to join forces for political coverage.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/nbc-msnbc-strengthen-ties-for-politics-coverage/274173

On an unrelated note, am I the only one that thinks Phil Griffin needs to go? He's been the one in charge of MSNBC during its downfall and all of its struggles, so I would imagine that someone would attribute part of the fall of MSNBC to him and get rid of him. I've thought he's needed to go for months and months now.

Phil never should have been hired to begin with but as an NBC Lifer it's hard to see him do anything but get moved elsewhere in the company... He's needed to go ever since they started the tilt leftward (remember his "lean forward" slogan that FNC ripped into MSNBC on?) What a joke...

• 3 weeks later...
Phil never should have been hired to begin with but as an NBC Lifer it's hard to see him do anything but get moved elsewhere in the company... He's needed to go ever since they started the tilt leftward (remember his "lean forward" slogan that FNC ripped into MSNBC on?) What a joke...

I think it was Inside Cable News that likened him and CNBC president Mark Hoffman to cockroaches in that they keep surviving against the odds. I was surprised to see Lack keeping him on as they were planning to wholly revamp the channel.

I think hell would freeze over if Olbermann returned to Fox Sports.

MSNBC needs help badly at 8pm, so why not?

I think that's the best thing that could happen to MSNBC in primetime. Move Chris Hayes to 6pm and have Olbermann do Countdown at 8pm. Even if they couldn't make that work, they should at the very least consider inviting Olbermann on as a contributor. He's not doing anything else, as far as I can tell...

I think that's the best thing that could happen to MSNBC in primetime. Move Chris Hayes to 6pm and have Olbermann do Countdown at 8pm. Even if they couldn't make that work, they should at the very least consider inviting Olbermann on as a contributor. He's not doing anything else, as far as I can tell...

I'm still hoping "The News with Brian Williams" makes a return at 6pm, with the originial theme song.

• Like 1

I think they should just drop Chris Hayes altogether.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
http://www.mediaite.com/online/nbcu-is-hiring-for-a-new-msnbc-primetime-show/

This better be on purpose because if not NBC has created a serious PR problem they now have to deal.

Hardly. It's Chris Hayes and almost no one watches his show and let's be real, he's not that popular. He sort of comes off as a "young and upcoming know it all." Also, it's not that uncommon for job openings to be posted before someone leaves...is it?

Hardly. It's Chris Hayes and almost no one watches his show and let's be real, he's not that popular. He sort of comes off as a "young and upcoming know it all." Also, it's not that uncommon for job openings to be posted before someone leaves...is it?

The thing is that msnbc might have been forced into announcing something they're not ready to announce...fortunately for them alsmost 24 hours later it doesn't seem that many outlets have picked up on this story so they're off the hook... also normally tv stagings send out a press release first then stack up on staff second.

The thing is that msnbc might have been forced into announcing something they're not ready to announce...fortunately for them alsmost 24 hours later it doesn't seem that many outlets have picked up on this story so they're off the hook... also normally tv stagings send out a press release first then stack up on staff second.

Exactly, normally there's an announcement that the show is ending before they start to staff up. If anything, that's pretty unfair to Hayes to start staffing a new show while he remains in this sort of limbo. Just because it's been expected that his show will get canned doesn't mean he deserves this sort of treatment.

FWIW, the posting has been updated.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25354&siteid=5108&jobid=299280

• 5 weeks later...

Worth noting that Al Sharpton was on the air this morning and my TiVo listings show a regular schedule this week. The past few weeks it was pretty much The Place For Politics after Morning Joe.

Speaking of Morning Joe I was disgusted by that leaked audio during the Trump Town Hall discussing the types of questions upcoming during a commercial break. Mika sounded like she was going for harder questions but Joe over ruled her. I also grew tired of how over the past few years how Mika went from the objective host has started becoming too cozy with politicians and how she submits to Joe despite her books on empowering women.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I know rkolsen may go crazy when he hears this, but I caught the end of the 9am hour and it seemed that Steve Kornacki was hosting it and was throwing to Jose Diaz-Balart for the 10am hour. Could they be switching things up?

As long as he's on the air. I hope it's just not because Florida is coming up.

I'd expand on that and offer up "NBC NEWS NOW." It may look like a lot in print, but takes just as long to say as msnbc. It can be called "NEWS NOW" for short.

The more and more I think about it, though, the more my idea for a name change becomes cliché. Another downside is that the channel won't be news all day, as there will be editorial programs in the evening.

I did, for fun on a Saturday morning, come up with some awfully edited logos, but I don't know how to upload photos on here.

Maybe if they keep the opinion shows for primetime they can do a dual-branded channel. This would be similar to what FOX did for their movie channel a few years ago. (FXM for current, edited movies and Fox Movie Channel for Classic, Uncut movies).

Otherwise, I think some name options could be:

• NBC Shift (after the online-only Network)
  • NBCN (too close to CBSN)
  • NBC News or News NBC (straight forward)
  • Universal News (since they have rebranded some NBCU channels to Universal branding)
  • Partner with another online site for a name (Y! NBC anyone? LOL)
  • NBC Verge (an edgy news name)
  • Use their BreakingNews.com Brand
  • NBC Dispatch
  • NBC News+ (after the old NBC Weather Plus channel)
  • CNBC News (and rename CNBC to CNBC Finance or CNBC Business)

• CNBC News (and rename CNBC to CNBC Finance or CNBC Business)

In addition to containing "NBC" in the "CNBC" name, the letters C, N, B, & C stand for Consumer News and Business Channel. So adding the word News or Finance after would either be redundant or not make sense.

• Like 3

In addition to containing "NBC" in the "CNBC" name, the letters C, N, B, & C stand for Consumer News and Business Channel. So adding the word News or Finance after would either be redundant or not make sense.

Yeah but if that did happen, the appending of News or Finance would be a compromise as unless you combined the channels, you don't want two with the exact same name. Also, I doubt many people even know that it's an acronym to begin in the general public.

It could be CNBC 1 and CNBC 2 but that would be weirder than the redundancy. Either way, I was honestly just typing names as I thought them without going back and removing weird ones. Like the NBC Verge one was because I was on The Verge looking at Tech news at the same time.

Yeah but if that did happen, the appending of News or Finance would be a compromise as unless you combined the channels, you don't want two with the exact same name. Also, I doubt many people even know that it's an acronym to begin in the general public.

It could be CNBC 1 and CNBC 2 but that would be weirder than the redundancy. Either way, I was honestly just typing names as I thought them without going back and removing weird ones. Like the NBC Verge one was because I was on The Verge looking at Tech news at the same time.

Either way CNBC and CNBC 2 is redundant as the channels total a different audience.

• Like 2

If I was the News Director I would call it "NBC Orgasm"...

Women would watch all day hoping something would happen...

And guys would only have to watch a few minutes...then take a nap.

Or they could team up with that Logo Network and call it........

Oh forget it...I will just get in trouble for posting that one:D

• Like 2

I know rkolsen may go crazy when he hears this, but I caught the end of the 9am hour and it seemed that Steve Kornacki was hosting it and was throwing to Jose Diaz-Balart for the 10am hour. Could they be switching things up?

As long as he's on the air. I hope it's just not because Florida is coming up.

I caught the end of the 9am hour again today and Kornacki was tossing over to Diaz-Balart for the 10am hour. I wonder if this is permanent or if it's just a Wednesday thing (as last time I caught this it was also Wednesday).