MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

MSNBC confirms Kate Snow anchoring 3-5; Chuck Todd's 5pm show will be called Meet the Press Daily. Changes take place September 28; primetime unchanged for now (though one site reported rumors of All In taking the empty 6pm slot and Rachel Maddow moving to 8pm, but again RUMORS)

• Like 1

I can't help but feel that the opinion show block in primetime may be next on the chopping block. If it isn't, it should. And I'm talking about a mass cancellation.

Given that the other news channels have opinion programming or documentaries in primetime, MSNBC would be best served going with live, long form newscasts instead of the same ol', same old'.

But that's just me.

I can't help but feel that the opinion show block in primetime may be next on the chopping block. If it isn't, it should. And I'm talking about a mass cancellation.

Given that the other news channels have opinion programming or documentaries in primetime, MSNBC would be best served going with live, long form newscasts instead of the same ol', same old'.

But that's just me.

There's no way that Maddow gets axed, she's still the face of the network and O'Donnell still does well ratings-wise. Hayes is a goner at some point though as his show continues to lag in the ratings. There's been a little speculation that Willie Geist may get the timeslot but no word yet.

Something new to MSNBC primetime tonight, a news ticker with the current time. For as long as I can remember, MSNBC has not used a ticker during primetime. This is more of a switch to news based during political primetime shows.

Towards the end of Maddow tonight, an alternative ticker design came up for hurricane coverage. It was divided into 4 sections with storm information. It looked like it would be a "flipper" but I did not see it do anything (wasn't really paying close attention).

Maddow won't get axed, and Hayes just won an Emmy so I can't imagine they'd throw him out either. Wouldn't really miss Lawrence O'Donnell though. He's just... Dry? I don't know how else to put it.

• Like 1

Towards the end of Maddow tonight, an alternative ticker design came up for hurricane coverage. It was divided into 4 sections with storm information. It looked like it would be a "flipper" but I did not see it do anything (wasn't really paying close attention).

Maddow won't get axed, and Hayes just won an Emmy so I can't imagine they'd throw him out either. Wouldn't really miss Lawrence O'Donnell though. He's just... Dry? I don't know how else to put it.

The weather ticker was redesigned with the graphics change but it was similar to the ones they've used in the past during severe weather.

I could see Hayes being moved to weekends (although not back on Up) but his show has been such a ratings drag on the rest of primetime, it regularly takes a dive from Hardball, that he'll get moved off 8 at some point.

I could see Hayes being moved to weekends (although not back on Up) but his show has been such a ratings drag on the rest of primetime, it regularly takes a dive from Hardball, that he'll get moved off 8 at some point.

MSNBC's primetime ratings plummeted after Chris Hayes ascended to the 8pm slot. Ed Schultz at least was somewhat competitive in that time slot... Hayes simply has never clicked.

While Rachel has been the only really successful opinion program (not hosted by Olbermann) that they have ever had, the show has also clearly suffered from Hayes as a lead-in.

I'd take chances with Willie Geist at 8pm, and bounce Larry O'Donnell for a rolling news hour at 10pm. Repeat Willie and Rachel for the West Coast, then live rolling news to 5am EST.

Alex Wagner will take over Steve Kornacki’s weekend time slot. Also Kornacki will be the Monday host of MTP Daily. That makes sense seeing as Steve is also a political junkie and Chuck probably doesn't want to work 6 days a week.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbcs-alex-wagner-will-take-over-steve-kornackis-weekend-time-slot/

And now, in what would be the ultimate Hell Freezes Over story ever, MSNBC is said to be close to entering talks with Keith Olbermann to return to the network, possibly in his old 8pm timeslot. The article also seems to indicate that the 9pm and 10pm timeslots are safe.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/exclusive-nbcs-andy-lack-to-meet-with-keith-olbermann-on-possible-msnbc-return/

And now, in what would be the ultimate Hell Freezes Over story ever, MSNBC is said to be close to entering talks with Keith Olbermann to return to the network, possibly in his old 8pm timeslot. The article also seems to indicate that the 9pm and 10pm timeslots are safe.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/exclusive-nbcs-andy-lack-to-meet-with-keith-olbermann-on-possible-msnbc-return/

Didn't hell already freeze over when he went back to ESPN? So perhaps it has melted and refrozen over?

• Like 1

I think hell would freeze over if Olbermann returned to Fox Sports.

MSNBC needs help badly at 8pm, so why not?

Right, because FSN broke apart since he was there- I found some evidence on LinkedIn that they now call the remains of FSN's national infrastructure "Home Team Sports"- ironic, considering that what's currently CSN Mid-Atlantic was named that while an FSN station and owned by CBS.

NBC News and MSNBC are going to join forces for political coverage.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/nbc-msnbc-strengthen-ties-for-politics-coverage/274173

On an unrelated note, am I the only one that thinks Phil Griffin needs to go? He's been the one in charge of MSNBC during its downfall and all of its struggles, so I would imagine that someone would attribute part of the fall of MSNBC to him and get rid of him. I've thought he's needed to go for months and months now.