WDJT Newsroom Renovation

trev57

Alright, looking at it again now, I actually like it. It's simple, yet clean and very effective. I was right about it being a Park Place job. This is what WCPO, WMAR, and KSHB's sets should have been like.

[MEDIA=twitter]653778914083504128[/MEDIA]

Time for a rant. 'CPO, 'MAR, and KSHB all have the same set, and all of them also have the LED curtains. Now explain to me why the hell they don't use them. It's so annoying. You have all of this versatility, yet you don't use it! The only time KSHB ever changes it is for The Now, and it's not even the entire set, it's only a corner. Kudos to DJT and any other station that actually uses the versatility of their LED curtains.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[MEDIA=twitter]653778914083504128[/MEDIA]

Sadly they no longer change the colors for AM/PM or Breaking News.

They have also put in a god awful LED TV right infront of the set that looks quite out of place and quite small market.

• 6 months later...
WDJT appeared to be on a temporary set again when I was watching their 10pm news tonight.

It looks like they were back in the corner of the old set, but with the new desk? I can't see them getting a whole new set, maybe just some tweaks/upgrades?

I think the set could use a few upgrades. It would be nice to see the backdrop of the blurred out Milwaukee Skyline get replaced and maybe update their graphics as all of the O&O stations now use the new graphics, except WJZ of course.

I find it amusing that the station that is typically thought of as having the newscast with the smallest budget in the market feels like it has done more changes to their sets and graphics than all the rest. New set in 2011, new graphics in 2014, new set in 2015, apparent home base set tweaks in 2016, and new Sunday Morning set somewhere in the middle of all this. By comparison:

- WTMJ: new set in 9/2012, change to Scripps graphics in 5/2016

- WITI: new Studio B (Wakeup) in 6/2008, new Studio A in 2/2013, new graphics in 4/2013

- WISN: really cheap set refresh in 4/2011, adopted new Hearst graphics in 9/2012, UpFront set in 9/2015

weigel is rolling in cash thanks to its diginets and some of that is making its way to 58... they have become one of the stations that thinks throwing money at sets and graphics attracts viewers...

maybe they could use it on better talent and more photogs (and less one man bands)... now there's an idea...

weigel is rolling in cash thanks to its diginets and some of that is making its way to 58... they have become one of the stations that thinks throwing money at sets and graphics attracts viewers...

maybe they could use it on better talent and more photogs (and less one man bands)... now there's an idea...

But the MeTV revenue only go so far..........

Looks like they redesigned it, there is now a large video board showing a (live?) shot of the skyline from the lake that I presume can change depending on the time of day or the weather conditions outside.

Gone are the floating Eyes, it looks like the video boards are now just solid blue.

Can't really tell - but it looks like they've turned the main anchor area into a standup area and moved the desk in front of the 3x3 wall.

I missed the first minute of the show and they haven't returned to a two shot since.

Why do you have two anchors on a show if they are never on screen together?? Every single story came from a different anchor in a different standup location.

It looks like the old desk has reappeared as well

I like the new standup area, but the old desk looks so out of place.

I think the standup area is using the round table from the old set too. Are they just going to slowly replace the new set with repainted parts of the old set??

The criticism that I had back when the new set went live last year was that it felt "retro-modern." That is to say, the set reminded me a lot of how early 80's space sci-fi would depict a future space station or spaceship or such... extensive use of metal, sharp angles, and the bars with rounded ends all played a part in that. And all of that made the set feel rather cold and sterile.

If I had to guess, this refresh is designed to address some of that.

It looks like they have the 2.0 O&O graphics now too (they were covering the DT rally in West Allis tonight on WMLW); still in a 4:3 form. I do like it; a good adjustment overall.

Kind of odd they went to a temporary set for a week just to move the desk 10 feet to the right.

Reblocking and re-calibration of the robo-cams was probably needed.

It looks like they have the 2.0 O&O graphics now too (they were covering the DT rally in West Allis tonight on WMLW); still in a 4:3 form. I do like it; a good adjustment overall.

What do you mean, "still in a 4:3 form"? WMLW is broadcast 16:9.

Edit to add: L3's are different - they build-in differently, and they seem to be less tall. If I had to guess, they're an in-house creation.

Other than the L3's, no other changes that I can tell. And no, they're definitely not the current generation CBS O&O graphics.

Archived