Sky News Interviews Receives 1100 Complaints

rkolsen

Apparently Sky News' Kay Burley did an interview with the CEO of Merlin Entertainment a which owns an amusement park, Alton Towers, had a serious accident where many people were seriously injured. Around 1100 people complained to Ofcom about her badgering of the CEO asking for a formal investigation to take place. Ofcom naturally has to review the complaints to determine whether or not to proceed with an investigation.

The video linked in this article is no longer available. But the article seems to insinuate that her line of questioning is the reason for the complaints. Specifically that she was rude and pressed the CEO several times if a victim had their leg amputated. Naturally the CEO wouldn't give a response in order to protect his company and the victims health records.

But I'm wondering what is there to investigate if most of the complaints seem to be based around her line of questioning?

For what it's worth there's a Change.org petition asking Sky to fire Kay Burley over this interview. As of this writing the petition has received 38,846 signatories out of the 50,000 total they want.

For what it's worth there's a Change.org petition asking Sky to fire Kay Burley over this interview. As of this writing the petition has received 38,846 signatories out of the 50,000 total they want.

An "investigation" or saying there will be one makes dog-ooders feel all fuzzy wuzzy. As for a petition at change.org???

Just more fuzzy wuzzy for the social media minions.

At 50,000 do they get cookies?

You are correct about it being a big nothing.

Reading more about Kay Burley it seems like she is very brash, inconsiderate and bullish at times. During her coverage of 9/11 she basically told viewers just tuning in the eastern seaboard of the US was decimated and at the 2008 trial of Naomi Campbell she was photographed with her hands around a photographers neck.

Apparently she causes frequent viewer outrage but Sky probably is hesitant to do anything because she's threatened to sue over ageism. I also imagine she probably has dirty laundry on the news organization. Then again Sky's largest share holder is 21st Century Fox and we know how the Murdoch's like polarizing news talent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8695973/Sky-News-presenter-Kay-Burley-I-wouldnt-go-without-a-fight.html

I also imagine she probably has dirty laundry on the news organization.

She probably has a lot of that stashed away- she's the only one anchor who's been with Sky News since they launched in 1989. All the others have retired, died or moved to other organizations, so she's also likely got seniority.

Ofcom decided not to investigate the interview. There were about 2000 complaints and 55000 signatures on that petition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33134458

I must say it was ridiculous people complained over this interview but I guess people are getting tired of her brash style.

Trying to figure out who would be he American equivalent would be.

Ofcom decided not to investigate the interview. There were about 2000 complaints and 55000 signatures on that petition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33134458

I must say it was ridiculous people complained over this interview but I guess people are getting tired of her brash style.

Trying to figure out who would be he American equivalent would be.

Bill O'Reilly, perhaps?

Bill O'Reilly, perhaps?

I was thinking of him but I wouldn't consider him a journalist any more.
Are you supposed to coddle people who's companies contributed to such a disaster? Journalists need to ask questions, hard ones. Whether it's respectful or not shouldn't matter.

I think most people were pissed at Kay trying to get him to divulge information about a patient who was rumored at the time to lose his leg. I haven't seen the video but there were reports that she barely let him respond to the questions.

Archived