21st Century FOX/News Corp To Move HQ Into 2nd World Trade Tower

Big Country News

Rupert Murdoch's two companies announced yesterday that they would move into the 2nd World Trade Center tower upon completion.

This comes as a new design for the building was announced, and shown.

WIRED Reports: http://www.wired.com/2015/06/bjarke-ingels-design-two-world-trade-center/

At this time, it is unclear if FOX News Channel or any other of 21stCF's news producing entities will move in.

Although, the video shows a news set and newsroom.

Rupert Murdoch's two companies announced yesterday that they would move into the 2nd World Trade Center tower upon completion.

WIRED Reports: http://www.wired.com/2015/06/bjarke-ingels-design-two-world-trade-center/

At this time, it is unclear if FOX News Channel or any other of 21stCF's news producing entities will move in.

The goal is to move out of their Avenue of the Americas facility in 2020 when the lease runs out, so my answer would be yes, they're moving.

But there's a lot to be done before they can get there. That deadline looks...impossible to me.

Translation: The rent for their building in Midtown is getting too much for them so they're moving.

Other media companies have been doing the same thing.

I don't normally cross posts between different boards. But here's what I wrote over at tvforum.co.uk:

As much as I don't like Fox News I'm not sure moving into a high profile area is the best idea. I realize physical security is increased at the World Trade Center site but it still would be a high profile target. But this would be good for helping revitalize the area of the city.

Its amazing with so many nutty people running around that Faux News hasnt had many security concerns at their current Ave of The Americas HQ. Doesnt seem smart to me to continue to try and do streetside studios at WTC 2 considering they have such a polarizing viewpoint.

It's funny they'd select such a high profile site especially considering the boss Roger Ailes is extremely paranoid of his security. He travels with body guards, frequently calls the cops, has a ton of security cameras at his house and his office is bomb proof.

Just read a few of these articles.

http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/01/inside-paranoid-world-fox-newss-roger-ailes/356819/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/01/08/roger-ailes-paranoid-more-evidence/

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2011/05/traveling_with_roger_ailes_is.html

Come to think of it Roger Aisles probably had very little say in this decision as it sounds like they are moving all their operations to Two WTC. On the bright side security is very tight. I believe the only vehicles that are allowed on site are searched thoroughly far away from the buildings, so that may ease Roger's fears. At the same time I doubt he'll be at the helm of Fox News in six years when the building is expected to be completed as he'll be 81.

Excuse my laziness. I just didn't feel like rewriting posts again.

• 7 months later...

An update on this story: 21st Century Fox and NewsCorp have backed out of the World Trade Center 2, and instead opted to extend their contract for their current Sixth Avenue offices through 2025. In short, the Murdochs decided that WTC 2 would just be too expensive to be worth it, and the relocation process would obviously be a pain.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/15/fox-news-corp-to-keep-hqs-in-midtown/

WTC2 has been offering some great incentives to get tenants, however with the recent stock market performance it's a pretty good bet things are going to freeze up for a bit until things settle out.

Fear and Greed.

An update on this story: 21st Century Fox and NewsCorp have backed out of the World Trade Center 2, and instead opted to extend their contract for their current Sixth Avenue offices through 2025. In short, the Murdochs decided that WTC 2 would just be too expensive to be worth it, and the relocation process would obviously be a pain.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/15/fox-news-corp-to-keep-hqs-in-midtown/

Hope you don't mind I posted this to TVForum.co.uk where there was a prior discussion about this and I have a H/T to you.

But I still think it's was a dumb move to consider moving.

Hope you don't mind I posted this to TVForum.co.uk where there was a prior discussion about this and I have a H/T to you.

Makes you wonder who is really calling the shots right now. I thought the sons were now in charge...but not if you asked Rodger....

The FOX HQ is not a giant footprint. It's not 30 Rock by any means.

It's almost to the point where you just run down to Fry's and grab a few thousand feet of CAT-5, a few routing switchers, and a graphics program to make a location move. (well kinda...but not yet).

It's a money thing...and a big one. I "get" the non-binding agreement thing, but that makes it stranger .

It just smells like inner turmoil....and us sharks can smell blood a few miles away.

Makes you wonder who is really calling the shots right now. I thought the sons were now in charge...but not if you asked Rodger....

The FOX HQ is not a giant footprint. It's not 30 Rock by any means.

It's almost to the point where you just run down to Fry's and grab a few thousand feet of CAT-5, a few routing switchers, and a graphics program to make a location move. (well kinda...but not yet).

It's a money thing...and a big one. I "get" the non-binding agreement thing, but that makes it stranger .

It just smells like inner turmoil....and us sharks can smell blood a few miles away.

I think it was FTVLive that had a posting the other day in regards to Rupert being seen more prominently in the building and attending FNC editorial meetings more frequently in place of Roger Ailes.

I do wonder if Rupert is either setting up to sell a portion of the company, or looking to purchase some assets (i.e. Time Warner- or at least some of their properties). Thus requiring them to save some bucks wherever possible.

The Post mentions that News Corp. has a lease that runs until 2020 with a 5 year extension if necessary. The fact that they didn't sign a long term extension makes it a little fishy. Rupert can't be that cash strapped...

Not sure it was that dumb. If you count their prior history as MetroMedia and DuMont, they've occupied the Fox Broadcasting Center since the late 1940s.

Not sure it was that dumb. If you count their prior history as MetroMedia and DuMont, they've occupied the Fox Broadcasting Center since the late 1940s.

That's a different facility that I believe only houses WNYW and some aspects of WWOR. I don't think it was part of this deal.

Archived