Charter to buy Time Warner Cable (& continue with BrightHouse acquisition)

Thundershock MN

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Telling by the new logo on TWC's website, I have some feeling Charter will market Spectrum as a brand of TWC in the respective ex-TWC markets (and possibly Bright House as well). ex: "Spectrum by Time Warner Cable" in NYC, and existing Charter markets will continue to have "Spectrum by Charter"

I'm not a fan of the new logo. Looks dull compared to the last TWCN logo which had a nice slick edge to it (literally) with yellow at the end.
Spectrum trucks slowly popping up in Ohio, too. But they still show commercials for TWC on TV.

So far, not a big fan of the Spectrum look but then again, it took me a long time to get used to the Time Warner Cable logo. I think I only started liking the Time Warner Cable logo once they started adding different colors to the trucks so that they weren't only white and blue. For what it's worth, they should have kept the Charter name and logo, or maybe adopted Insight as I had hoped Time Warner would do when they merged with that company.

6a00e5520719b0883401630200a267970d-pi

Spectrum trucks slowly popping up in Ohio, too. But they still show commercials for TWC on TV.

I think they actually aborted a plan to throw on Charter ads over TWC ads right away since that part of the transition timeline bombed; the last Charter campaign before the merger (with Dan Aykroyd and Curtis Armstrong in some two-bit setup where a satellite company was based in a spaceship and the usual 'lol rain and tree branches are satellite's mortal enemies who cares about the customer' pitch was made) was airing in Green Bay, a TWC territory with the Spectrum logo overlaid over anything Charter, after the merger closed. It must've gotten such a negative reaction from TWC customers they decided to go back to the older TWC pitches until a new unified campaign can be formed (and Charter's ads outside the 'help lady' have always been dire; re: the 'who needs a contract?' lady from Michigan fully-accented, and the terrible acapella toll free jingles).

I think they actually aborted a plan to throw on Charter ads over TWC ads right away since that part of the transition timeline bombed; the last Charter campaign before the merger (with Dan Aykroyd and Curtis Armstrong in some two-bit setup where a satellite company was based in a spaceship and the usual 'lol rain and tree branches are satellite's mortal enemies who cares about the customer' pitch was made) was airing in Green Bay, a TWC territory with the Spectrum logo overlaid over anything Charter, after the merger closed. It must've gotten such a negative reaction from TWC customers they decided to go back to the older TWC pitches until a new unified campaign can be formed (and Charter's ads outside the 'help lady' have always been dire; re: the 'who needs a contract?' lady from Michigan fully-accented, and the terrible acapella toll free jingles).

I live in St. Louis which is where Charter was based.

I can confirm that their ads have always been terrible. Hopefully the merger results in a decent marketing department for once. I prefer the one TWC and Bright House have over Charter.

• 3 weeks later...

Long post warning:

NY1 refreshed their graphics today. They got a new font which premiered last week first on the community calendar. Today (Dec. 15) at 5am, they added a L-bar which has a rundown, a ticker, and transit & weather information and changed the font on everything.

2a9a43520772998.jpg3cf66e520773010.jpg

At 8am, they changed the L3's to match the old graphics format.

16fd09520773026.jpg18d01d520773035.jpg

During non-news programs, the L-Bar disappears and the ticker stays but the old font is still there:

86ffdb520774456.jpg

NY1 Noticias and Spectrum News Texas/SoCal has the new font on the old L3's but they don't have the new L-bar or new L3's but SpecNews TX/CA has the new font on weather graphics.

By comparison, this was the old look: 9f207f520772946.jpg

My take: keep the bottom but lose the side, reform the L3's and make the time/temp bug bigger (Ironically, they had to make the time/temp bigger when they changed in '13.

Other news: since Charter took over NY1 has made the 8am, Noon, and the 4pm half hour a all live newscast. Too bad the 11pm wasn't fully live, only the first story and sports are live at 11pm.

Archived