May 2015 Sweeps Results

NewEnglandOne

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I thought WCVB was the market leader and WBZ was usually third and fourth.

Edit: Stupid me I did a quick glance and didn't realize the columns were sorted by station not rank.

I haven't seen anything about Baltimore but like always I guess it will be a toss up between WBAL and WJZ. I do think the ratings will be artificially inflated due to the weeks worth of wall to wall coverage.

Charlotte sweeps (go to the bottom of the article). Nothing surprising.

WJZY is finally starting to catch up to WCCB at 10pm, even though WAXN (WSOC) still dominates that time period (and all others!)

6pm seems discouraging, seesing as how WJZY is pulling half as many viewers as they were with "Two And A Half Men" repeats!

No they haven't. KUTU and KSL have always run the market. KTVX has been in 3rd/last for a while.

Include KSTU in running in the market. It's been KUTV and KSTU recently fighting for the top spot while KSL is #3 and KTVX is just... you know... one of Nexstar's ugly burnt down to the ground stations.

Citadel needs to sell WLNE to someone willing to invest there. Especially if Sinclair micromanages WJAR it may be a huge opportunity for WLNE. But who makes the purchase?

One answer... Gannett/Tegna. Because if Citadel sells WLNE to the Gannett Company; this would mean major improvements if newscasts, staff, and all other changes.

It's very telling how screwed up WLNE is when even NEXSTAR passed on it (when they bought most of Citadel's other properties)...

I could see WLNE's endgame as being sold off as spectrum bait and the ABC affiliation ending up as a subchannel on any of the remaining stations...it's far more valuable as a source of regional spectrum that reaches Boston than a Providence television station relegated to a limited market.

I wonder if we get ratings information for smaller markets?

Not likely....even though diaries are being phased out in favor of more "people meters", their adoption is still being phased in Nielsen's smaller markets.

Since it's pencil and paper data, it will take time to count up as opposed to the instant gratification of people meters....

WLNE would fit perfectly into the Scripps portfolio. Scripps seems to relish on bottom of the barrel stations that need some TLC and resources- minimal of course. Plus it would another station in the NE for them.

It's very telling how screwed up WLNE is when even NEXSTAR passed on it (when they bought most of Citadel's other properties)...

When Nexstar bought Citadel's Iowa stations, they withheld WLNE because they had "unfinished business." Now if you are also alluding to when Nexstar was runner up for WLNE when Global was forced to unload it (back when they operated WLWC) then they were just outbid by a dark horse.

I could see WLNE's endgame as being sold off as spectrum bait and the ABC affiliation ending up as a subchannel on any of the remaining stations...it's far more valuable as a source of regional spectrum that reaches Boston than a Providence television station relegated to a limited market.

I think that if both WLNE and WLWC were to be cashed in for the spectrum it would be very unwieldy to shoehorn everything between WJAR, WPRI, and WNAC. For that reason alone, not to mention significantly viewed status in four counties, I think WLNE stays.

In addition to the aforementioned Tegna, Scripps, and Nexstar, there are a few other wildcards who could use it to bolster their Northeast presence. Meredith, Tribune, Cox, Hubbard, Gray, even Hearst if the price is right (unlike what Freedom wanted in 2007.

In Chicago (10PM):

Total Viewers: WLS / 8.6 (-0.5), WMAQ / 7.2 (+1.3), WBBM / 3.5 (-0.1)

25-54: WMAQ / 3.6 (+0.7), WLS / 3.5 (+0.3), WBBM / 0.9 (-0.2)

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/05/21/wmaq-channel-5-shows-late-newsratings-growth-in.html

Here's a more in-depth look at all ratings in Chicago. WLS, WMAQ, WGN, and Telemundo station WSNS all claim victories. The others are all burning in viewership hell...

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7422-abc-7-wins-may-sweeps-for-evening-newscasts-nbc-5-wgn-also-winners

I'm not even going to attempt to rewrite it all down.

Here's a more in-depth look at all ratings in Chicago. WLS, WMAQ, WGN, and Telemundo station WSNS all claim victories. The others are all burning in viewership hell...

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7422-abc-7-wins-may-sweeps-for-evening-newscasts-nbc-5-wgn-also-winners

I'm not even going to attempt to rewrite it all down.

It should be noted that WGN's 4pm is close to WLS's in the demos. Mornings belong to WGN as well.

Archived