Sinclair Launches Surprisingly Good Corporate Website

Big Country News

It was something that shocked me, and presumably many others.

SINCLAIR MADE SOMETHING GOOD FOR ONCE!

Hell is currently freezing over and pigs are flying, folks.

Check it out: SBGI.net

In a press release, they also announce that their stations' websites will be totally revamped by the end of this year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was something that shocked me, and presumably many others.

SINCLAIR MADE SOMETHING GOOD FOR ONCE!

Check it out: SBGI.net

In a press release, they also announce that their stations' websites will be totally revamped by the end of this year.

The Sinclair website was developed by Sinclair’s Digital teams in Seattle and Baltimore, who will also be unveiling new websites for our television stations in the back half of 2015. Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.,

Why do I have a feeling the team in Seattle made this. Because it seems like the team in Baltimore has done the layouts we always ridicule while the ex-Fishers stations stuck with the Fishers layout that is actually functional and easy on the eyes.

It's yet another WordPress site. http://sbgi.net/wp-admin

Why do I have a feeling the team in Seattle made this. Because it seems like the team in Baltimore has done the layouts we always ridicule while the ex-Fishers stations stuck with the Fishers layout that is actually functional and easy on the eyes.

Wouldn't surprise me. Most of the stock videos in the animation there seem to be from KOMO/KATU.

Not just are pigs flying, they're washing our cars, then making breakfast with their own bodies. Seriously, this might be the only good thing Sinclair's ever done in the web department. They're so behind the times when it comes to the Net, especially for their smaller stations.

It's all nice, but translating this into something usable for 160+ stations in 70+ markets is a challenge in itself.

And then there's the manpower needed to provide actual CONTENT for said sites. A great layout is only as great as the content that's been posted to it.

I think this is just the corporate design. My guess is that the stations would get a totally different layout.

I think this is just the corporate design. My guess is that the stations would get a totally different layout.

It's definitely a step in the right direction for a company that's been known all too well to impose their will at any cost to their stations instead of using "best practices" of their successful acquisitions. Their old website dated back to the "supercast" days of giving their stations websites for the first time!

This and the pursuit of ATSC 3.0 are the best things Sinclair has going for them right now.

It's definitely a step in the right direction for a company that's been known all too well to impose their will at any cost to their stations instead of using "best practices" of their successful acquisitions. Their old website dated back to the "supercast" days of giving their stations websites for the first time!

This and the pursuit of ATSC 3.0 are the best things Sinclair has going for them right now.

The American Sports Network is quickly turning into something viable too.

• 3 weeks later...

KUTV has launched the new corporate website design. It's plain, but is functional and actually looks modern. Good job by the SBG web team on this one.

Not WordPress, it's a miracle. And it looks great. I think they took some cues from the ABC O&O sites. I can't wait for WOAI to get this site so I can start logging on to it again.

(they used to be my go to local news site but after they switched to their current Sinclair template I stopped going on there)

Very clean and well laid-out. The simple design makes it less cluttered than the other sites.

Hopefully this is a design that will be the groundwork for future improvements, instead of overhauling websites from something functional to crappy, then to something less crappy but still dysfunctional less than a year later.

Well, this might be some of the stations that ready to launch the new websites.

It seems they're using the same font for the headers.

(Taken from website's header)

[snip]

Can you say "cookie cutter"?

(and of course the flagship gets special treatment)

Well....so much for a great way to relaunch these sites.

It looks great for stations like KUTV...and any station with a similar looking brand. But the others are way off the mark except for the lucky ones who kept their logo or a part of it.

The other head scratcher is that the logos shown are a hodgepodge of stations from legacies to all of the companies they've acquired. And unless they have plans to relaunch in-house news operations in Richmond and Pittsburgh, it seems even more out of place there...

Well, this might be some of the stations that ready to launch the new websites.

It seems they're using the same font for the headers.

(Taken from website's header)

wmAmk5S.jpg

This actually looks good to me. Ngl, it's clear and to the point.

Archived