Amtrak Derailment

Not sure if I'm allowed to start these kinds of threads anymore, but I'm curious what everyone thought of each station's coverage last night of the Amtrak accident.

6ABC was sending all kinds of updates through their app and seemed to have at least 2 reporters on the scene. I feel like they wanted to go full steam ahead (no pun intended), but it was hard to do with the lack of any real sense of what was going on besides the mass chaos that was unfolding.

A lot of viewers on Facebook complained that the stations were showing "graphic" images of bloodied victims and that they were really insensitive. I sort of felt the same way, until I saw someone comment that if they were looking for a loved one and had not heard from them (and most likely wouldn't if they were injured or couldn't make a call), they'd be more than happy to see them on TV, even if they were bloody/injured. At least they know they'd be okay.

I went to bed around 11:30, how long did live coverage last?

It seems like even in a moment like this, there is still time for reunions and pictures.

WCAU anchor Tracy Davidson is in some hot water (at least in the eyes of FTVLive) for a picture she took and tweeted with ABC's World News Tonight anchor David Muir.

This was taken at the news cluster site. I know it's okay to have a little reunion photo op every once in a while...

but come on. Have some respect.

(Link: http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/5/14/train-crash-people-deadlets-take-a-selfie)

It seems like even in a moment like this, there is still time for reunions and pictures.

WCAU anchor Tracy Davidson is in some hot water (at least in the eyes of FTVLive) for a picture she took and tweeted with ABC's World News Tonight anchor David Muir.

This was taken at the news cluster site. I know it's okay to have a little reunion photo op every once in a while...

but come on. Have some respect.

(Link: http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/5/14/train-crash-people-deadlets-take-a-selfie)

Big whoop. Something light in light of something terrible isn't a bad thing. Covering something like that sucks, if they want to escape for a minute while something isn't happening of any importance then fine. The same as cops and firefighters joking at an accident scene... This is normal if you've ever actually been there. It's not all down and depressing. All the folks atwitter that they took the picture are almost being inhuman as was Anderson Cooper in their example in the article. Some people even laugh at funerals as a way to cope. Everyone has a different reaction to these things.

Plus where else are they going to run into each other? It's gonna be a big story. I doubt the folks who died mind much at this point...

Big whoop. Something light in light of something terrible isn't a bad thing. Covering something like that sucks, if they want to escape for a minute while something isn't happening of any importance then fine. The same as cops and firefighters joking at an accident scene... This is normal if you've ever actually been there. It's not all down and depressing. All the folks atwitter that they took the picture are almost being inhuman as was Anderson Cooper in their example in the article. Some people even laugh at funerals as a way to cope. Everyone has a different reaction to these things.

Plus where else are they going to run into each other? It's gonna be a big story. I doubt the folks who died mind much at this point...

Yeah, plus David Muir is the "hot thing" right now, so who wouldn't want to meet him / look up to him, even a reporter on a competing station?

Yeah, plus David Muir is the "hot thing" right now, so who wouldn't want to meet him / look up to him, even a reporter on a competing station?

Plus it looks like they worked together in Syracuse so it was seeing an old friend.

They worked together there (WTVH-5 /CBS) in the mid-90s, along with Kathy Orr (now CBS3 after a stint at NBC10). Matt O'Donnell is also from Syracuse, he worked at the NBC affiliate; which now runs both the WTVH and WSTM newscasts under the banner "CNY Central").

Archived