Massive layoffs at Rogers stations, OMNI newscasts and BT Edmonton cut

Emarsee_

Such a damn shame. I hope everyone given the pink slip will find work elsewhere. As for Breakfast Television being cancelled, I watched it several times a few years ago, and I really enjoyed it. So sad that it's ending so abruptly.

Seeing stories like these make me sad.

You're betting the fate of the company on the NHL. A $5.2 billion dollar bet.

So yeah, you have to make cuts. But still, this is the biggest problem with Canada's broadcasting system, it's way too consolidated.

Rogers being Rogers again. With their daily shenanigans, do I really need to explain?

Keeping cutting jobs. WHAT THE SHAME.:bang:

If I were them, I would just sell them off. :rant:

RIP.

Shame. Canada's broadcasting is in shambles because the cable companies own the networks and they own the TV stations; there's no room for indepdendent ownership.

Also welcome Emarsee; enjoyed your videos on CHEK-TV.

Rogers is replacing Breakfast Television in Edmonton with a 2 hour show called "Dinner Television" from 5-7pm (repeated the next day in the old BT timeslot), hosted by 2 of the former hosts of BT, and Jason Strudwick (former hockey player and former host of a sports show on TSN Radio).

It's described as a "light chat" show, but no news. ie) the era of newsgathering is over at CKEM-DT. Not sure how this will fare against the early evening news blocks on Global and CTV during the same timeslot.

Rogers is replacing Breakfast Television in Edmonton with a 2 hour show called "Dinner Television" from 5-7pm (repeated the next day in the old BT timeslot), hosted by 2 of the former hosts of BT, and Jason Strudwick (former hockey player and former host of a sports show on TSN Radio).

It's described as a "light chat" show, but no news. ie) the era of newsgathering is over at CKEM-DT. Not sure how this will fare against the early evening news blocks on Global and CTV during the same timeslot.

Or against CBC Edmonton during non-sports programming,

Last year, former Rogers Media head Keith Pelley highlighted the financial problems of the Omni stations in an application to renew their licences with the CRTC.

He told the regulator that Rogers faced “a very serious financial situation” over certain content requirements, including that a specific percentage of prime time content fits within multicultural guidelines. He argued the stipulations were “not essential to upholding the ethnic nature and orientation of the stations.”

Honestly, what I think Rogers should do is shut down or sell Omni. Omni makes bare profit nowadays, it's dragging Rogers and Citytv down. Even Rogers TV fulfills what Omni can't do, especially with multicultural programming.

Honestly, what I think Rogers should do is shut down or sell Omni. Omni makes bare profit nowadays, it's dragging Rogers and Citytv down. Even Rogers TV fulfills what Omni can't do, especially with multicultural programming.

If anything, Rogers should just own Citytv, Sportsnet, all-news radio stations, those Sportsnet stations and done. Sell Omni, some worthless radio stations that may not do good in ratings, the magazines they have and that's it.

Rogers should just make Omni a subchannel of Citytv; and in Toronto Omni 1 and Omni 2 should merge to become a Citytv subchannel. There's really no point in keeping them as separate television stations anymore.

Rogers should just make Omni a subchannel of Citytv; and in Toronto Omni 1 and Omni 2 should merge to become a Citytv subchannel. There's really no point in keeping them as separate television stations anymore.

Good idea, just like how I thought CityNews Channel should've been a Citytv subchannel until it was discontinued in 2013.

It's unknown if subchannels will launch in Canada, so it's doubtful.

It's unknown if subchannels will launch in Canada, so it's doubtful.

Subchannels in Canada are more technical, just like the call signs. They are not meant to broadcast alternate programs like in the States but I agree completely with the above statement. To put into context: Global Toronto (CIII-DT) has subchannel 41.1 for HD and 41.2 for SD)

Archived