WJW Graphics update

Rusty Muck

On Monday, WJW quietly unveiled a major overhaul to their on-air look. This is very much an in-house effort, with a significant amount of the second generation Fox O&O package, with some hints to the current O&O graphics, especially in the setup of the L3s.

But it actually looks good. Very good. It's up there with WBRC's 2010 and 2011 efforts, IMO.

It's also significant because the first generation Fox O&O graphics package has now officially been retired from current usage. I believe that WJW was the last station to actively use it.

On Monday, WJW quietly unveiled a major overhaul to their on-air look. This is very much an in-house effort, with a significant amount of the second generation Fox O&O package, with some hints to the current O&O graphics, especially in the setup of the L3s.

But it actually looks good. Very good. It's up there with WBRC's 2010 and 2011 efforts, IMO.

It's also significant because the first generation Fox O&O graphics package has now officially been retired from current usage. I believe that WJW was the last station to actively use it.

Does it still have the old time and temp bug from the old package?

It kind of reminds me of KTVI's previous re-do of the original O&O look. It's more of an evolution of the previous look than a total re-do.

Seeing as how they kept the 2007-era set, I give it a year or two before WJW gets a top-to-bottom makeover like it got in 1996 when it became "FOX 8" once and for all. This is a more interim look, sort of like in 2001 when WJW overhauled their supers alongside their 1997 graphics refresh. The following year, WJW would launch the Giant Octopus look which IMHO was my favorite look for them.

With so much that has changed talent-wise, it feels like keeping the look has reached "if it ain't broke" status. I'm sure they'll be just fine as long as nothing happens to Dick Goddard.

Expect sweeping changes when the time finally comes for him to step down. But it wouldn't surprise me if he outlasts Andre Bernier at this point.

WJW is STILL running off the fumes of them being an O&O after close to a decade not being one. And after all of the news expansions and talent changes (sans Dick Goddard), little has changed and the look is getting tired. On the other hand, since they've been expanding their product to near record levels, there's little reason to change since it's working in the ratings.

Dick Goddard signed another 1 year deal thru 2016 which will put him at 50 years at WJW. I have watched WJW from the late 90 till now. I hope they will get a new set in the next year. I noticed on the morning show today they changed the durations in soft set area. So things are slowly changing at Cleveland ' s Own Newscenter8.

They have had a history of keeping news sets for a long time... for close to a decade. Prior to the current set, they used a set built shortly after the Fox takeover from 1997 to 2007. And before that, they used the familiar Newscenter 8 set from 1985 to 1997.

Also WJW got the first generation O&O graphics AFTER they went HD (it was the first Fox O&O to go HD in news production) so they never had the need to change, even AFTER switching over to Vizrt. That wasn't the case with stations like WGHP and WDAF, as their grotesque mutations sadly prove.

As for station performance, WJW is still a powerhouse. They lead the pack in morning drive by a ridiculously wide margin.

Well it still looks pretty dated to me. I know they're still number one in most timeslots, but who is running this station? KC Robertson? At least WJW dosen't have a set dating back to the Clinton administration though.

When they first went HD, I never understood why they took their 4x3 open, squished it down to letterboxed 16x9 and THEN did the "blurred wings" using a fully stretched version. Since it was 2004 and WJW was one of the first 5 stations in the NATION to go HD, I wonder if even Giant Octopus at the time was only capable of SD. But the graphics package was updated for HD....

Well it still looks pretty dated to me. I know they're still number one in most timeslots, but who is running this station? KC Robertson? At least WJW dosen't have a set dating back to the Clinton administration though.

WJW is nowhere near as homely as WJZ. And WOIO's (for now) usage of the 2013 Raycom package looks far more dated.

Tribune hasn't even started to institute any groupwide standardization efforts, not since their Fox affiliate package was unveiled days before they bought LocalTV. While some stations now share graphics with each other, there is no mandate coming forth... nor do I expect any mandate in the near future.

Tribune hasn't even started to institute any groupwide standardization efforts, not since their Fox affiliate package was unveiled days before they bought LocalTV.

I think that Tribune's tried to use similar graphic across their stations before; WGN, KTLA and WGNX had similar news intros in the late 80s, and KTXL and KSWB had the same GFX for a while, but other than that, they prefer individualism over standards.

I don't think it's individualism so much as the lack of artists at their hub. They have a lot more stations now, so it will take a while to get all of them on the same page. Although, for some reason, I think that the FOX affiliates may get a new graphics package next year.

I don't think it's individualism so much as the lack of artists at their hub. They have a lot more stations now, so it will take a while to get all of them on the same page. Although, for some reason, I think that the FOX affiliates may get a new graphics package next year.

That also is why stations like WGHP and WDAF look horrendous, WJW and KTVI have decent packs, and KDVR can put out a look that's network quality. Fox sold them before they centralized their O&O graphics hub at WTVT.

If Tribune gets a unified look for their Fox affiliates, I hope that any remaining vestiges of the Fox O&O look get scrubbed completely. That includes the Fox News copycat logo. But I digress.

Yes the hell they do and I wish everyday that they will just move on with those graphics. Next year will be ten years of KVVU still using their version of the first generation of the FOX O&O graphics.

• 7 months later...
Does it still have the old time and temp bug from the old package?

Bumping up the thread to answer that question. WJW redid the time/temp bug on Monday. You can't see it on the livestream, which is something of note, as the original bug WAS visible on the stream. (Thanks to news89 for the following pics.)

The old bug:

full&lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1449625153

The new bug:

full&lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1449625202

The bottom red bar is static full time (displaying "NEWS" on the morning news and the time/temp all other times) and the searchlights no longer move.

I have a feeling this is a preparation for a major on-air overhaul.

It's odd that they are continuing with the O&O styled logo. KTVI completely reverted to the pre O&O logo, complete with their ABC-era "2."

It's not odd at all. Most of Tribune's Fox affiliates use an O&O-style logo design (although all but one of the affiliates it owned prior to the Local TV purchase, use just one searchlight panel in the blue section), except for KCPQ, KDVR and KTVI. Really, KTVI's logo is a deconstruction of the O&O design; the "2" isn't the one it used dating back to its ABC affiliation, but a bolder version of the one it adopted when it standardized under the first Fox O&O look, and the logo as a whole is a wordmark and not framed in a box like Fox's legacy affiliate logos dating to the late '90s.

Is that true for the other Fox affiliates that were owned by Local TV (excluding WBRC)?

Out of that group, WJW and KTVI were the only ones to get the O&O standardized set - KTVI even disassembled and reassembled their set when it merged operations with KPLR.

The rest of the spun-off stations kept their existing sets until their accompanying HD upgrades by subsequent owners (note that WJW was the first Fox O&O to go HD).

Out of that group, WJW and KTVI were the only ones to get the O&O standardized set - KTVI even disassembled and reassembled their set when it merged operations with KPLR.

The rest of the spun-off stations kept their existing sets until their accompanying HD upgrades by subsequent owners (note that WJW was the first Fox O&O to go HD).

WITI had a refresh for a while that used an O&O desk on a non-O&O set. (They also used O&O music and graphics, but not the O&O stacked logo.)

By the time Tribune bought them, they had ditched any O&O remnants - including receiving brand new sets, designed for HD, for both Wakeup and the main newscast.

Archived