Norway to shut down analog FM radio and convert to DAB in 2017.

TheRolyPoly

Earlier this week, Norway has announced that it will become the first country in the world to have all FM radio stations shut down and only exclusively broadcast in DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting)

The shutdown conversion is expected to take place starting in January of 2017 and continuing until December of that year. Other countries are considering making the same move as well, though nothing is confirmed there yet.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/19/8453165/norway-end-fm-radio-2017

How is DAB any different?

It's digital radio, just like HD Radio, except there's like no HD2, HD3, etc. subchannels. Other than that, I really don't know much about DAB, even though I wish I did knew what it's all about.

How is DAB any different?

Asking how Digital Audio is different from Analog FM is like asking how Digital OTA is different from Analog OTA.

Digital Audio basically shares to the same pros and cons with Digital OTA, only it's broadcast audio, it's not that widespread and countries like Canada has exited DAB due to the standard not going mainstream.

• 4 weeks later...

Asking how Digital Audio is different from Analog FM is like asking how Digital OTA is different from Analog OTA.

Digital Audio basically shares to the same pros and cons with Digital OTA, only it's broadcast audio, it's not that widespread and countries like Canada has exited DAB due to the standard not going mainstream.

DAB is relatively mainstream in Europe. DAB failed in Canada because it was stuck on L-Band frequencies. Almost all other counties using DAB have launched (or moved) DAB to Band III (aka VHF-Hi). Canada, like the US still uses Band III (VHF-Hi) for television. And, there was no hope of the US ever adopting DAB as the L-Band is reserved for military use. As a result receivers were hard to come by as manufacturers were reluctant to build units that essentially would be just for Canada. Digital Audio Broadcasting in Canada was basically DOA from the start.

So, It's no surprise that Canada eventually adopted IBOC HD Radio instead. Unfortunately, for better or worse, Canada was pretty much stuck going with the digital radio standard the US adopted. And, AFAIK Mexico adopted IBOC HD Radio as their digital radio standard instead of DAB as well.

• 1 year later...

Ooooh noooo, I bumped a year old thread. Shoot me.

The national government has went through their plans for a digital radio switchover as previously mentioned in 2015. As of 11 January, which is today, all FM radio stations has ceased broadcast activities and transitioned to Digital Audio Broadcasting. This project's main motive is to increase funding of digital technology, and close observers like Sweden, Denmark, and the United Kingdom could jump on DAB if all things run successful.

However, this isn't without controversy. Unlike the infamous delay of the United States digital television switchover of 2009 due to the unpreparedness of the people, Norway went ahead with switch despite recent calls from politicians stating that they're "simply not ready for this yet," and studies reporting that 66% of the population oppose switching off FM. I'm guessing it's considering they aren't equipped with DAB receivers, which could run up to an equivalent of $250 CDN to purchase. You can read an article on this story here.

In the meantime, here's a great listen courtesy of the CBC, the head guy of Digital Radio Norway explaining the rationale of the switchover in an interview.

You can probably say Norway hit the that DAB.

You can laugh now.

Archived