KCAL's Sylvia Lopez retiring

I've always enjoyed watching Sylvia Lopez on KCAL. It never felt like CBS appreciated her, as she was never in the primetime news promos. I think she has the most credibility on KCAL, the other female anchors on 9 are presenters/talent, Sylvia is a journalist. Best of luck SL. You'll be missed.

From FTVLive.com:

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/4/16/popular-la-anchor-leaving-tv-news

Popular LA Anchor Leaving TV News

Another longtime Anchor is sticking a fork in her TV career.

KCAL/KCBS news anchor Sylvia Lopez today announced her plans to leave the stations and pursue a career in the public health field. Lopez, who currently anchors KCAL’s weekday 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. newscasts, will conclude her 30-year career in Los Angeles television news by anchoring her final newscasts on Friday, April 24.

“I’ve been amazingly fortunate to cover the news for more than three decades, and to do it for 28 of those years at KCAL and KCBS, among people who are like my family,” Lopez said. “It’s been a privilege to report on so many stories that have impacted people right here in Southern California where I grew up.”

Lopez has been admitted into the Master of Public Health program at California State University, Northridge. She will enter the program as a full-time graduate student this fall.

“I’ve always had a passion for health issues, probably because I grew up helping my dad in his dental practice. Now, after three decades of shedding light on them as a journalist, I’m excited to take the next step by trying to address these issues in a hands-on role, especially those that affect children and families.”

“Sylvia Lopez is a Southern California TV news treasure,” said Steve Mauldin, President and General Manager, CBS 2 and KCAL 9. “Her professionalism and heart have set a shining example for what a newscaster should be.”

“We wish she was staying with us, but certainly understand her strong desire to affect meaningful change in the healthcare field. We look forward to celebrating her remarkable career at CBS 2 and KCAL 9 and giving her the sendoff she deserves later this month.”

I tell you that Silvia's gonna leave the Los Angeles tv news business in retirement, after 30 years that she had from 1985 to this year. Those years she did at KCBS-TV and KCAL-TV.

I wonder if she would be replaced either by Sandra Mitchell or someone else?

Archived